Do it yourself vs. factory rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by TANGLES, Jan 8, 2004.

1. In my very humble view building your own rod is a very personal experience. It is not about money but rather your own self that is on the block. It is no different than tying a fly or anything else you build with your own hands. It is your creation and your joy! It is a piece of you! Anyone who has taken the time to create their own personal ultimate rod will know exactly what I mean.
    You will build many rods and then you will decide to do your ultimate. The rod that is what is what you believe is you and you will build it. That rod will be your signature. I built mine and was really shocked but yet it is what and how I like to fish. At the time it was a whim but when it was finished it let me know exactly how I like to fish.

Dave

2. Hope is that Thing with Feathers..

Folks have just about covered many of the arguments for and against building your own but I thought I would add that often building your own rod is about the only way to get a particular model any more. G-Series Scott rods in 2 piece are not available any longer. The same is true of the Sage Light Line, RPL and RPL+ and Loomis GL4 so if you wanted one of these great rods you would have to build it yourself. I have a Scott G803 two piece and a Sage RPL 690-4 that I built and will never part with them. You do have to shop around for these blanks a bit but they are available. Some of the sources that I have found include Michael and Young Fly Shop in BC, the Madison River Fishing Company (MRFC.com - who have a huge selection of discontinued blanks that are usually significantly discounted), The Fly Box Outfitters out of Bend Oregon had a number of Sage and Scott blanks that they were clearing out, and K&K Fly Fisher out of Kansas City also had some older blanks. I hardly ever buy new model blanks because there are just some many great older tapers and composites out there. Anyway, that's my rambling 2.5 cents worth.