Do people still deer hunt with 30/30s

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by JasonG, Aug 15, 2009.

1. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I have been thinking about picking up a Marlin 336 30/30. Anybody have any advice on this gun or the 30/30 round. Thanks Jason

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I know they are used alot back east in the close range timbered areas. Good round and readily available. Sometimes you can buy them in the gas stations:eek:!

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Jason,
    A 30/30 is more than enough gun for close-in shooting at deer, especially in western Washington. If you are hunting in more open country where you might need to shoot 200+ yards I suggest something like a .243 or 6 mm. A .270 is another good choice. If you buy a 30/06 you can hunt anything, anywhere in the State including deer, bear, elk, and moose. IMO, the 30.06 is a great firearm for it's knock down power plus it's always easy to find a wide variety of ammo. If it's raining during your deer hunt you want to drop the animal in it's tracks so you don't risk losing it if it runs a ways away before dying. I've shot deer with .243, .270, and 30/06 at ranges out to 300 yards. Shot a moose with the 30/06 at 300 yards and antelope at 250 yards with the .270. They all dropped in their tracks. I think the 30/06 is the best big game rifle.

I don't know if this helps.

Good luck on the deer hunts.

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    30 -30s are pretty sweet especially in wooded areas, if I were buying a rifle and only had one it would be a .308 or 30/06

5. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    they now make special soft tip 30/30 rounds that are said to double the accuracy, but thats kind of like lifting your corvette for rock crawling, and a dude that lifts his vet for rock crawling is dumb enough to screw his sister.:thumb:
    :ray1:if your just going to be busting brush or strictly close up shots a 30/30 is fine, but your screwed when you spot that 5x5 in a clearing 300 yards away when your heading back to the truck (never fails). listen to karl and the powder monkey, 3006 is the best all around gun money can buy.

6. Kalum Kid

Kalum Kid New Member

I love the "Dirty 30".As sated great for the thick stuff and close quaters..Nothing beat a scopeless Winchester Mdl 94 with some 170 grainers..If it wasnt for magnum hype the 30/30 would be all anyone needed

[​IMG]

7. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

the only problem with it would be your choice on manufacture! i dont know anyone who has had luck with marlin firearms. i like an 30-06 cuz of its knock down power and capability to shoot 300+ yards. but i know lots of guys that use 30/30's for deer in heavily wooded areas, and there fun target rifles as well :D

8. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

earlier post hit it on the head...here in the east...30/30 is an old standby. Reliable...gets the job done. I don't know of too many places where you can take a 300 yard shot at a 5x5 out here.

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I had a 32 Marlin that I used when I was a kid in Southern Oregon.
    I bought a 700 Remington in 30-06 and never used the 32 again.
    I gave the 32 to my son and he kills a deer with it every year in Southern Oregon.
    I have a buddy that likes his 30-30 model 94.
    The morning he missed a nice buck at 200 yards and I shot it with the 30-06. He bought a 308 shortly after that.
    30-30 is a damn good round and will do the job. I would not make shots over 100 yards but it's do able.
    My dad had a 35 Marlin and it was a good gun also.
    Marlin makes good guns, so does Remington. My .02

10. oncorhynchus

oncorhynchus Bret Richmond

My grandfather and uncle have had good luck with the Winchester Model 1894. With the topside ejection, you can't mount a scope (at least not easily), but with it's range, that may not be a problem for you. It's a great brush rifle, and seems to be more reliable than the Marlin.

Other issue is that they stopped mfg. them in the US a few years ago. You could look for a good used one.

I'm hunting with an old bolt action .30-30 this fall, here on the westside. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of months...

Good luck

11. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

Thousands of deer and elk are killed every year with long bows and I'm pretty sure a 30/30 can out perform a long bow. If you shoot it and learn it, their is no reason you can't harvest any deer or elk with it. Know your firearm and know it's limitations.

12. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Weatherby 270. bar-none. but I'd also take a 30.06 any day. Grew up with both. No two finer guns out there.

13. SightCast6X

SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

Jason,

You sound like your new to hunting. There is nothing wrong with the 30/30. I'm sure more deer have been killed with that round than any other. All I can say is if that is your firearm in the field. Be proficent with it. Shoot a 100 rounds if its in your budget. Know your limitations about taking a shot, distance, terrain and whether the animal is quartering or broadside. Even in Eastern Washington my shots are under a 150 yards well within the range of a 30/30.
    I carry one when I draw a doe tag and use it with open sights for a challenge. Makes taking a meat deer fun.
    Take time to shoot and get used to the rifle and the 30/30 Marlin can do you well.

Also you might look at the budget priced Stevens and Mossberg ATR rifles in .270 or 30.06. They are really well priced and great shooters.

G

14. Rooselk

Rooselk Flyfisher Wannabe

The 30/30 will more than suffice for deer at short ranges. And the Marlin 336 is an excellent levergun that won't let you down.

15. koolminx

koolminx Member

I watched my mother drop a 4 point Mule Deer running at 200 yards with one shot of her 30-30 Winchester. People that say they're good close gun's are right but they are good enough long guns as well!

I can hit anything I point at with my Model 94, and knock the crap out of it, they hit hard too :)

16. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Yes, people do hunt with the .30-30. And they put meat on the table. Here's how:

They put a box or two through their gun before the season so they know where it shoots at different ranges.

They get close. They learn how to hunt, how to make a clean kill. If blazing cross canyon is your game, this ain't your gun.

No, it's not as versatile as higher powered rounds, but for deer sized game, it's plenty.

And my Marlin is likely older than you, has put lots of meals on the table, and still goes hunting.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thank you, that's what I was going to say as well (and Bullwhacker said it right too). Knowing your gun is the key, and putting ROUNDS through it helps to zero that thing in. Like the guys who bowhunt, but NEVER shoot their bow except the day of the hunt.

I've never had a problem with a marlin 30 30. But I shot an older one. Only thing I didn't like about the Marlin was it's a bit bulkier for a saddle gun. I like the Winchesters for that. But haven't pack hunted in awhile.

I agree COMPLETELY about the 270 or the 30 06. Have 30 06 in both L and R handed (I shoot ambidextrous) and looking to buy another 270 since my son wants to hunt (the 270 I learned to hunt with was sold out from under me a LONG time ago, wish I could've bought it). But the 30 30 is a great round. Personally, I don't like long distance shots, though I can make them and practice them. I like taking my shots in the 100 yard range.

18. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree

Right on, Jerry.

Was watching a cable Outdoors hunting show the other day where the guide and his “Butter-Bean” client were in semi-arid mountainous open country glassing for elk across a deep draw/ravine when they spotted a small herd of elk across the ravine. The guide is using a spotting scope and the client is using his rifle scope and the guide says to the client, “That’s a nice bull right there in the middle!”
    The client says, “Where?”
    “Right there in the middle of all them other ones, says the guide.”
    “Middle of where, what other ones” says the client.
    “About halfway up the side of that draw way over there just to the left of that clump of trees, see ‘im?
    Uhhh, no…., where are ya lookin’?
    “See that clump uh trees ‘bout halfway up the other side of that draw? Just to the left of them trees and down a bit.”
    The client lifts his head up from the scope, peers over the top, then around the side of the scope then lowers his head to the scope again, shifts the rifle around on the pack it’s resting on and says, “Ohhh, got ‘em!” “How fur do ya figure that is?” The guide takes out his Laser Rangefinder, aims it at the other side of the ravine and says, “”Bout 562 yards I reckon.”
    “Should I shoot, says the client, that’s pretty far.”
    Guide says, “Well, you wanted a big bull Elk, there he is, take ‘im or leave ‘im!”
    The client shifts around some more and settles in behind the scope.
    Minutes pass as the video zooms in on the elk quietly grazing, looking up every now ‘n then to check on the girls grazing around him, completely unaware that “Dead-eye Dick” has ‘im in his sights!. Video zooms back out to show the client and guide and the hillside which is very, very far away. So far that with the camera zoomed out like that you cannot see the damned elk with the naked (camera) eye.
    Guide says, “If you wan ‘im ya better shoot soon cuz he’s gonna be headin’ fer that clump of trees soon.” Camera zooms back in as the bull takes a couple of steps towards the trees, stops, looks around and takes a few more mouthfuls of grass and…..BOOM!....a big cloud of dust over the top of the bull and into the dirt behind him. Hard to tell from the camera angle but looks to be about 2-3 feet high. Client says, “Did I hit ‘im?” The bull just flinched a little, looked around very alert now but not yet panicked.
    Guide says, “Close, but just a little high.”
    Client says, “Thot I hit ‘im?”
    Guide, “Nope, little high.”
    BOOM!!…..a splat of rock shrapnel and dirt kicks up under the bulls belly. He hunches up like a gut shot animal will do and in two sproings is into the trees.
    Guide says, “Good shot….little low,” with a big grin on his face as he leans over towards the shooter to give ‘em a high-five. The camera zooms back in to show the cow elk just sort of milling around in confusion. Suddenly the camera shifts to the clump of trees and the bull pokes his head out, looks left and right and cautiously steps into the open towards his girls who seem to settle down when they see him.
    Guide says, “Quick, there he is again…take ‘im now!” No!.... wait till he stops, he’s still walking!”
    BOOM!!…..another splat of stone and dirt, this time behind the bull who acts like he just got slammed in the ass with the shrapnel and lunges forward, stops and looks behind him as if to say, “What the fuck was that?”
    Camera zooms back out to show the shooter as he’s frantically trying to get another round into the chamber, fumbling with the bolt, as the guide says, “Good shot, quick shoot again, he’s stopped!”
    BOOM!!....Over the top of the bull again, splatting into the dirt and rocks scattering shrapnel into a couple of the girls who figure, “Enough of this shit, whatever it is, were outta here,” as they take off down the hill soon followed by the rest of the ladies and finally, somewhat reluctantly it seemed, by the bull who just sorta meandered along behind them, swinging his massive antlers from side to side and his chin held high….sort of a “strut” if you will, as if to say, “Mister, you are clearly an inferior idiot, a lousy shot from waaay to far away and I’ve given you all the opportunities you’re gonna get, fuck you dumb shit.”
    The camera zooms back out to show the guide grinning from ear to ear, exclaiming and high-fiving to the client, “Good shot, good shot, really, really close that time, not to worry, we’ll get ‘em next time!”
    “Butter Bean” rolls over onto his back exposing his massive girth and grinning from ear to ear, exclaiming, “I’m pretty sure I hit ‘im that last one, as he high-fives the guide!!!”

By now I’m so disgusted and pissed off at the thought of someone actually having the balls to film and publish this kind of crap on a cable television “Hunting show” that I was ready to puke! I switched channels but stewed about it for hours if not days, afterwards! (still stewing about it!)

I know shooting & hunting stuff like this happens in “real life” all the time….but to air this kind of stupidity on television, well, it takes some major “brass balls” for sure!!

If I ever see an idiot like that in real life I’ll shoot the sorry S.O.B. myself…jeeeezuz!

Rant over…bye!:beathead:

Jc:beer2:

19. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    This will be my first season of hunting deer and im using a 30/30, I love the caliber and being left handed it offers me the advantage of not having a bolt in my face.

20. koolminx

koolminx Member

The 30/30 is a fantastic weapon and will serve you extremely well for many many years.