Do Seals ever concern you when wading waist deep in the salt? Do you ever feel unwelcome?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Seals, no. Sea Lions - yes. Not sure there's much you could do to protect yourself in a kayak/pram/rowboat if one ever really had it in for you, but thankfully that's probably several orders of magnitude less likely than getting struck by lightning as long as you aren't deliberately antagonizing them and do what you can to keep your distance.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  2. Don't put your retained fish on a stringer if there are pinnipeds around. Hide 'em in a fish bag or cooler. There have been incidences of sea lions stealing and trying to steal fish from anglers here on the docks in the Westport boat basin.

3. Two Words

Ten Guage

4. I agree, the seals can get to close for comfort.

There is one beach I wade out and stand on the rocks for casting. Stay put as the tide comes in and the water is well above your belt when you get down from your casting rock. It makes for slow deliberate movements when playing a fish or escaping the curious pair of seals!

5. Two more words: Federally protected. 3 words: Here before you...

Personally, the more critters I see out there when fishing, the better the day is for me. One of the most memorable events occurred when, during the previous pink season I had a large harbor seal chase the fish I'd hooked through about 2 feet of water. I couldn't turn the fish in time to beach it, and the seal plucked it off the line. I certainly didn't begrudge it, as it was trying to get a meal and just survive. I just laughed and resumed fishing.

Alexander, Pat Lat and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. I would think that would cool as well....if I were standing on the beach. But if I were waist deep in the water and that happened, I'd probably freak out at first and then be thankful nothing went wrong, and then I'd talk about it like a hero. ;)

7. Is there a recorded attack by either of these marine mammals on a beachgoer in puget sound... or washington? It would be interesting to know.

They are a bit scary.

8. When I googled seal attacks I got some results. Not sure about the P-Sound. But one story that stuck was about a boy who got bit and dragged under water. He survived and "experts" say that the incident was an anomalie. But animals are animals and seals are wild animals, there's no telling what they may or may not do. IMHO it all depends on their mood. Bottom line is there are two ways things can go, you can be left alone because you are not perceived as a threat or you can be attacked because you are perceived as a threat or invasive to their environment/food source.

I'm ALWAYS aware of them and keep an eye on them when they are out and use caution. I wouldn't want to be "a first". I should probably take more care in how far out I wade. Their advantage is that if they want to they won't be seen until it's too late. ;). I've seen them hunt and maneuvere they are like friggin torpedoes!

We just need to respect them no matter how cute they are.

9. I've only had minimal experience with seals, but otters are sumbitches!!!!!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. I've accidentally hooked an Otter once many many years ago fishing off a pier somewhere in Kingston! I felt awful!!!!

11. Aaaand last but not least here's a funny one!!! YouTube -

12. My wife and I were on a water tour out of La Paz two summers ago and the "highlight" was snorkeling around a small rock out cropping covered with sea lions.There were a bunch of tour boats,so ample numbers of people diving.The guide off hand commented that the lions were breeding so don't swim too close to the rocks,for the males could be protective.I'm not really a tour person and the idea of swimming around with a group isn't my style,so i peeled off and starting exploring apart from the group.I had a male sea lion charge me about twenty feet down,that sucker came out of nowhere and got right in my face before turning.Some scary chit.A local girl was tubing last summer and was shredded by an angry otter,I mean shredded.I'd stay clear of both and anything in between.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. First it was wolves, then it was grizzlies, then it was fear of cougars, gee, what kind of GUN do you use for seals or otters to PROTECT yourself??!!!!!!!!!!!! What a bunch of pu_.....ies!! Ha! You guys crack me up...
    Where are you guys from anyway? This is the Great Northwest. We're not sissies here.
    :D :D :D :p

Alexander likes this.
  14. It gets old

15. Nothing wrong with a person trying to understand the environment they are recreating in,information is better than a hog leg and an over-sized ego.:)

16. Nick
    You might dye your waders black, except for a stark white curvilinear spot near the middle, and add a tall dorsal fin.

Eyejuggler and Alexander like this.