Do Seals ever concern you when wading waist deep in the salt? Do you ever feel unwelcome?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I saw two seals hooked in the mouth on pink buzz bombs this summer.

2. Ouch!!! I was out this afternoon, just came back and had a Seal eyeball me over and over, it was sitting right in the pocket of water I was swinging into. Basically, we both fish the same spot. I think it stages right behind the fish I'm after. Anyhow, not sure if it produced any fish, but I sure did. I just get nervous about it coming after my fish as I fight it and bring it to hand as I'm in the water thigh deep. :| So far I've been left alone, but it sure affects how quickly I try to bring the fish to hand and let it go. ;) Would hate for that thing to grab my hand by accident in an attempt to get at my SRC.

3. Some years ago I was fishing with a guy for sea run Cutthroat. We were in knee deep water, strong current, on a shallow flat that drops off into a deep channel. A big male California Sea Lion comes along, plowing upstream, and this thing is huge. It is like watching a horse swimming along. This fellow I was with is from the mid west, and he has never seen any kind of "seal" before. Suddenly the sea lion, maybe twenty yards away, spots us, and he stops cold in the current and just stares at us for a moment. Then he submerges and begins coming at us. I grabbed my guest and dragged him back toward the edge of the beach a few steps. There was a huge bulging wake ahead of this sea lion as it zeroed in on us. The distance that this animal covered in just a few seconds as it raced toward us underwater was astonishing. As the bull came into the shallows we could hear the gravel on the bottom scraping against his belly. He was now right at our feet. He hesitated, and then turned around, with impossible speed and agility, and thrashed his tail powerfully, darting away with a torpedo like rush of speed. The force of the water coming off of this sea lion's tail as it brushed against our legs was stunning. My impression is that if we had been standing in just a little deeper water we would have been lucky if our legs were the only thing broken. P.S. We never wade more than knee deep in the saltchuck now. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Ron McNeal likes this.