Do you carry a net?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Call, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You need to get a "vanity boom" for your camera. Then you can aim it back at yourself and later watch movies of yourself fishing. After you practice and develop some awesome facial expressions to go along with your fishing mishaps, you can post 'em up on You-tube and get the whole world laughing.;)

Krusty likes this.
  2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Most of my fishing is on lakes where I've perfected releasing fish without even taking them out of the water. The only time I even bring a net is on streams where there's a possibility of landing a larger fish. But even then I may use it just 2-3 times in a week. Otherwise it's just one more thing to keep track if or lose.

K

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I carry my net in the back pocket of my vest. It has not proven to be a problem on long bushwacking hikes. A net really comes in handy when fishing in fast water. I can land the fish more quickly and with less stress on the fish than if I tired it out enough to slip out the hook with hemostats.

Steve

4. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Like Old Man, I basically only have two facial expressions; crabby and irritated, and neither are particularly 'awesome'. I once tried smiling, but it creeped everyone out.

5. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

I don't use a net on streams and rivers for trout, I use a pair of hook pliers and keep the fish in shallow water. I do use my net in my toon and use it only when necessary.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

While I do have a net. It gets used about as much as the Fishing Jacket my wife bought me one Christmas many moons ago. It hangs in my closet. But I did tape my net to my Walking stick, so it had a long handle. But it still didn't get used.

I think it is just one of the useless things that we as fly fishers buy that doesn't get used. But when I did lake fish I always used my net. Used to catch big fish.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Two reasons not to carry a net.

1 - Nets are for Indians.
    2 - Tailing a fish is a climatic means to an end.

8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I use my net on every fish just about. I bought it because I was sick of having fish swim between my legs and wrap line around me (seriously).

Patrick Gould likes this.