Do you own this modern cabin on the Sol Duc?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Issaquah, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Magnificent architecture. I would like to one day build a shipping container home on stilts more in the style of a Kaufmann glidehouse.
  2. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I am in the process of building a new ski house in the North Cascades and have looked at a number of prefab places. They all seem to be priced way high but have a nice story to tell about reduced waste at the job site. While that may be true, a good contractor is able to put numbers together that can reduce that waste, and for what seems to be the going rate of $150 - $200 / sq ft for modern prefab you can do really pimp out a more conventionally constructed place.

Lex - take a good look at the coatings and materials used in containers. I move a lot of containers between here and Asia, and to my knowledge all are painted with some real vial stuff, with pesticides and mold inhibitors regularly used. You might find a service to help negate or remove these threats, but the cost might punch you right back to more conventional construction methods. Based on what I have seen, containers do make bomber storage units.
  3. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +517 / 0
    I believe there was a sizeable article in the seattle times magazine, Pacific magazine or whatever it is called that comes out on sundays. This was recent too.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +517 / 0
  5. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Marty-I agree about the prefabs! I really like some of the designs of the Method Homes, built down the street from my Ferndale place and designed by Balance Architects of Winthrop and Seattle. They are too expensive and we ended up with a conventional house for our Winthrop place. Rick
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    To each his own when it comes to taste! I love these and would have one if I could afford to have Tom Kundig design a cabin for me! What I find boring is the typical log or timber cabin, with way to much "rustic" and kitchy interiors! (let alone the fake "Tyrolean" places!) But again, everyone has his own taste! Rick
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Not me! I can't stand it, but then again, I'm not a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, either. Looks like a box with a screwed up lid.
  8. Abomb Active Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Man those things are a freakin eye sore. I dig cool architecture but those are fugly.
  9. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Alex-we agree on most things, but not this! We are headed for Phoenix next week and I love the tours of Taliesin West where Frank Lloyd Wright spent his summers-the Biltmore down there is awesome! (then again, nutcrackers drive me nuts in Leavenworth!:))
  10. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Kundi is designing a remodel on southwest fox island
    After the king tides of December they too might build it on stilts
    That whole area flooded

I find his design a tad arrogant
    Art over practicality
    All that glass is tough to heat when you are not there
    That said I don't appreciate country crock architecture
    Miller Hull produces nice modern cabins that are warm and inviting

I have to say that the fly tying desk,with integrated vacumn system, that I built for Anil was influenced by the modernist concept of a plane intersecting a rectangular form.

I can't afford either so I better get back to work
  11. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +731 / 0
    I'd love to see pictures of the desk you built.
  12. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Here is a horrible pic
    image.jpg image.jpg
    The mess is to display proper use of desk