Doc's 7/6...bummer

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Djustham, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Djustham

Djustham Sculpin are gross.

Media:
    After wed. evening's show of baitfish and outmigrating salmon, I decided to head back out to Doc's on thursday morning before work. I got there at approx 8am, the tide had just began to come in, the weather was cool and overcast, what I thought to be prime conditions for my continued quest to get into the ever enigmatic coastal cutthroat trout...
    unfortunatly, when I got there there was not a trace of the chaotic activity that was displayed the night before. A sullen looking bald eagle sitting torpidly on a stump was my only live animal sighted...BUMMER. Should I just chalk this one up to bad luck, or is there some glaring error in my selection of time, place, weather, and tide to blame for my shortcomings?

2. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Did you fish anyway? Last time I saw no activity at all I caught two nice little silvers on white and chartreuse clousers.

3. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Ain't it the truth. Every day is different when chasing SeaRuns; the periodic frustration adds to the challenge, and to the delight when successful. I got skunked this morning, on a beach that was absolutely splendid all last week.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    DJ,
    I think you might have more luck hooking cutts at different beachs. Lots of great searun water in the south sound. Look for beaches with rocky cobble beach or oysters beds. While folks do catch some cutts there, I would consider the Narrows more of a prime salmon fishing spot then a cutthroat spot.
    Good luck in your searun cutt quest.
    Brian

5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Djustham:

Weather and place were probably in your favor but the start of a flood tide after a pretty low tide may not have been in your favor. The spots that I normally fish are usually not very good at the start of the flood tide after a pretty low tide. Under those conditions I try to fish the later half of the flood tide.

In the summer, north of Doc's there are pretty extensive kelp beds that come into play but I cannot remember what tide level that happens. If sea-run cutthroat are around, they will usually be found inside of the kelp beds. Some summers I have seen large coho chasing baitfish on the outer edge of the kelp beds.

Keeping a detailed fishing journal of what you observe, tidal current conditions, part of the tide exchange, flood or ebb tide, etc. will help you hopefully determine when the conditions are most favorable at Doc's and other beaches that you fish. The beauty and challenge of fly fishing on Puget Sound is that the tides, weather conditions, and movement of the fish vary from day to day.

From my experience, mid-June through mid/late Aug. is pretty hit and miss for sea-run cutthroat. The last couple of weeks I have had pretty poor sea-run cutthroat fishing so don't feel alone.

If you have not been to the Morning Hatch fly shop in Tacoma, it would be time well spent. They are knowledge and helpful about the Puget Sound fisheries.

Try to fish a lot of different spots and sooner or later you will get into some sea-run cutthroat. Shallow gravel/cobble bottom beaches with nice current or current seams are prime spots. Try to cover a lot of water(beach) looking for them. If there are any sea-run cutthroat at a location, they will usually smack your fly within a couple of casts. Initially, fly fishing on Puget Sound can be frustating and intimidating but it doesn't take too long to get a "feel" for this fisheries if you don't give up on it too soon. You will then find it is a very "rewarding/addicting" fisheries!

Roger