Doe anyone know of a good medium action

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Canedawg, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

fiberglass rod in a 8' 6" to 9',3 piece,5# configuration.

I am getting ready to sell two fiberglass and two bamboo rods. With the wife going back to work, I can afford to invest in a nice rod.

I am thinking of either buying a 9',3 piece ,5# Hexagraph or having a fiberglass rod built.

I have two Fisher Glass rods, but their action is abit too slow for me.

I am interested to hear other people's thoughts. Thanks,Mark.

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

3. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

I think it will be around $400 once I sell all my rods.

4. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Call Steffen fly rods. He make is own blanks and builds rods. They are a Med. action and a awesome rod. If you go to fiberglass fly rodders. There are a lot on different rod makers.

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

8'6" 5/6wt is a configuration from Mark Steffen that gets rave reviews (I have a 7'9" 5/6 from him and it's one of my favorites). But stretching out to 9'0" and a true 5wt might be pushing the limits of glass for a true "medium" action rod.

6. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    If you're not married to a fiberglass, I have a Wright and McGill Grainger that I'd part with.

7. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

Media:
    hey CD,
    Lugan is right about your potential difficulty. i have a system 5 rod that's fairly quick for glass, but it's only 7'7". a system 6 or system 7 might fit the bill, and they turn up every so often on the fiberglass flyrodders site and ebay. as far as i know, Steffen is your best bet. i've heard many guys rave about their 8'3" 5/6wt and they make an 8'6" version as well. i think it's pretty tough to find a 5wt rod over 8' in length that still has a crisp action. i have a 5pc yellow fenwick (made by tiemco) that's 7'9" that is a great multi-purpose rod. you're welcome to test-cast a few of my 5wt glass rods just for fun, but the two longest are 8'0" (fenwick FF805 and sage 805 SFL). PM me if you're interested.
    -mike

8. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

I appreciate the offer but I have two 8'6",3/2,5# W.M. Granger Rods that I am going to be selling. I have three in that configuration and only fish one of them. Thanks,Mark.

9. Col.Buckshot

Col.Buckshot New Member

Mike McFarland has an 8'8" 5/6 glass rod he named the Limestone. The taper was made for casting where there's not alot of room for a backcast. I have a 5 piece built from a blank by Matt Leiderman. I would say the action is medium fast for glass and it will cast alot of line. A good distance caster could throw the whole line without much effort.
    Mike is implementing alot of changes to his business right now so I don't know whether he intends to keep this taper in his line-up but it might be worth a call to see. He may even have a blank laying around.

10. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    Mark Steffen makes a 8'6" 6 wt glass that is very sweet. My fishing partner just got one and we fished on the Deshutes last week. Nice action, not heavy, and within your budget...
    Good luck,
    TC

11. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Hi. Your glass rods are too slow. How is that possible? ;)
    Lots of rave reviews about the Steffen 865/6

12. mojo

mojo Member

Holy crap, it looks like half of FFR's is on this forum! Good advise by these guys.

Steffan brothers or T.L. Johnson.