Does any one fish out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 1morecast, Apr 11, 2007.

1. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    I am looking at buying a kayak to fish the shoreline in and around port angeles. I was wondering if any one out there has some words of wisdom they would like to share about their favorite boat. I am currently looking at a boat in the 12 ft. range, most likely a sit on top model.

Thx.
    Frank

2. Canoe Rider

Canoe Rider Member

I fish out of a canoe but a kayak would be better on the salt. I may soon purchase a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak but the main reason is it will be easy to pack for our drive up to Alaska this summer.

They make kayaks specifically for fishing. You may want to look into that...

3. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Both my fishing partner and I use the sit in model to fish both lakes and the salt. Love the sit in kayak and they do not spook fish at all. We often can be found fishing South Sound from ours. Since we do not have to get in and out of it to fish and the sit in kayaks keep you drier in the cold Puget Sound water, we prefer the sink style of Kayak so I can not advise you on sit kayaks.
    If you do a search on kayaks in the salt section this issue has come up a little in the past.

4. BlueTruck

BlueTruck New Member

I have a 10 or 11ft Old Town kayak that I bought from Joes last year that works well for me. It is a sit-in type that I rigged up with a pole holder and anchor. It works really well for cruising the beach or even moderate rivers. I haven't tried the SOT models but the sit-in works just fine for me. Good luck!

5. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I have a Wilderness System Tarpon 120 and absolutely love it for fishing large lakes and the salt. I installed all of my hardware myself rather than buying the "fishing model" which saved me a couple hundred dollars. Feel free to PM with any questions you may have about kayaks.

6. martyg

martyg Active Member

See if you can pick-up Canoe & Kayak from last July. It is their fishing issue and I did all of the reviews and wrote much of the editorial.

Stay away from 12' boats - short boats are generally pigs.

My favorite from the review was the Liquid Logic and Hobie's. Hobie's drive system is really, really interesting. Being a former competative paddlers I had my reservations. As a fishing tool it is hard to beat.

7. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Having sea kayaked for many years I would advise getting the the "float" kind rather than the "sink" kind.:ray1: Or, invest in a good PFD. :thumb:

Seriously, a broad beam will be preferable (28" give or take) in calm waters as it has more initial stability and thus instills some confidence. I'd go sit-in rather than sit-on too. You can lock yourself in by bracing your knees in the cockpit to take advantage of the boat stability.

8. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

I've been thinking about building one of these for years:
    http://www.pygmyboats.com/PRICELIS.HTM
    I do NOT need another boat.
    Gawd, they're beautiful, aren't they? :hmmm:

JonB

9. polepole

polepole New Member

I fish regularly out of an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 SOT kayak. I'd recommend test paddling as many as you can before buying. I'd recommend something a bit longer than a 12' model as they'll track better.

Wayne, when are we going to hit the water? Some time soon I hope.

-Allen

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I fish out of a 9.5 foot kayak. I love the ease of launching it and the fact that it can turn quickly with just a stroke of two to cast in another direction. I also like the fact that when large salmon starts to circle to boat as they often do, that my rod can reach either end helping to keep the line from catching on one end or another. I also like the fact that I can use it in the salt, lakes and even some rivers. As for speed that never been an issue since I have never had to paddle more then a few miles from a launch point to get to my fishing holes.
    As you can see there are many differences of opinion and you should try out as many kayaks as you can before buying.

11. Canoe Rider

Canoe Rider Member

I just purchased a Sea Eagle 330 (http://www.seaeagle.com/SeaEagle330.aspx) for Alaska trip. Will use in lakes and maybe rivers on the drive up, in the salt off of Juneau, and then in BC again on the way back. I'll post the beta here in August.

12. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I bought a used Ocean Kayak Scrambler XL last fall. I've had it out on the local lake a few times - it handles well, is fast, easy to get in & out of, and it's fun.

There are lots of interesting looking beaches that aren't accessible by foot - marine parks, shellfish areas maintained by the DNR, high bluffs, etc... Some of these places appear accessible if you could get around only a few houses. So, my plan is to use the kayak to get to these beaches, and then get out & fish.

Now that the weather is getting better, I hope to see if my plan works....

Tom

13. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I built and paddled the Osprey Standard. Pygmy makes an excellent kit. Somewhat time consuming but the result is very good if you take your time. I'd go a broader beam if you plan it as a fishing platform. As a paddling piece, well, I paddling a circ of Vashion with some guys and many other reaches. It will go some miles. For a strictly fishing boat I look for a broader beam.

14. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

Tim,
    I was thinking of the Queen Charlotte Std. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it has very flat midships sections. I wonder if that would make up for the 24" beam and provide some more initial stability? The single chine shape should also improve reserve stability over a multi chine of the same basic dimensions. I've built a few boats so I think const. would be a cake walk.
    I don't really need another boat....maybe:hmmm:
    JonB

15. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

Hey Frank,
    I have fished out of kayaks for about ten years.Started out with inflateables,ok for rivers ,sucky for any wind or open space.Sit-ons are great if you only plan on short warm weather trips,bulky and heavy though.Sit-in [i.e.recreational or sea kayaks]are more useful overall for WA conditons.I use a necky zoar,but had 5 or 6 boats over the years.I'd start out with a recreational bout with a large cockpit of 11-13 feet depending on how big you are.Wilderness systems backwater 11.5,necky manitou,prowlers and tarpons for sit-ons are fishing specific.I seakayak,fish,etc,etc out of mine.Only drawbacks are what to do with yuor paddle when you hookup,I slide mine in to my back deck straps.If I was only fishing small lakes I'd get a pontoon boat for freedom of movement,but for stealth and covering water kayaks are hard to beat.
    Good Luck,Bill

16. polepole

polepole New Member

Lot's of good opinions here that I'm not meaning to debate. Just adding perspective ...

"Fast" is a relative terms. The Scrambler is actually known as a slower boat. If you think it is fast, you should try a Prowler or a Tarpon 160. Those are known as fast SOTs. Although they are probably average speed when compared to most SIK.

Not sure why this would be. In both SOT and SIK you need to dress appropriately for the conditions. On the salt water this means you need to be prepared to enter the water. I gear up pretty much the same whether I'm in a SIK or SOT.

-Allen

17. martyg

martyg Active Member

I'd just like to establish that none of these boats are fast. They simply are not made for that use. One hull design may be more effecient that another, but within hull lengths you are splitting hairs that don't deserve to be split. Once you settle in on a length then start to look at features that will make your fishing day more enjoyable.

What a longer and more efficient boat will buy you is more comfort. A longer boat is more stable, it handles waves better, and it will allow you to cover more ground more effeciently, and if you ever want to do an overnighter iy will carry gear.

SOTs and boats with cockpits both have advantages / disadvantages. With a SOT you will be exposed to the elements, but you have a higher relative degree of safety over a rec sit-in boat. It you should capsize in a rec sit in boat you are pretty much screwed unless you can get to shore. There is simply no elegent way to right that boat. With a SOT you simply climb back in. I also find that if I take a SOT out I am constantly jumping in and out to wade and fish, so I am aready dressed for slop & cold.

Note that I have not talked about rolling. It is simply out of the realm of this discussion. You simply are not ready for combat rolls in a big salt environment until you properly execute a roll several hundred times - to both sides - in a benign environment. Having a hand roll to both sides is even better in case your paddle is tucked away while fighting a fish.

Lastly, there has been a lot of focus on equipment. I would encourage anyone getting involved to take a day long clinic from an ACA or BCU certified instructor. The forward stroke is going to be the hardest thing that you will ever learn to execute efficiently. Might as well learn it correctly so your days are more enjoyable.

18. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The wife and I have a 18' canoe but we are going to get a 12 or 14' boat so we can stand up to cast and sight fish.
    We saw a two person kayak on the Dry Falls opener it looked cool, sit in, looked to be about 20' long

19. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Media:
    Hi Frank,

I have fished from a variety of kayaks and have found that there are pros and cons to the different models, styles ect. I started out fishing from traditional Sit In Kayaks (SIK) which are usualy sea worthy and keep you dry. The down sides of SIKs is that your mobility in the boat is limited which is a pain when landing fish and trying to access gear. One other issue is that if you dump out of your boat it takes more skill and experience to bet back into the now water filled kayak. This is specialy dangerous of you are kayaking/fishing solo. Sit on top kayaks (SOT's) on the other hand don't fill up with water unless you forget to close a hatch or something and they are typicaly pretty easy to flop back into without assistance. Many of the contemporary plastic SOTs are very stable and are well set up for fishing. Some are so stable that you can sit side saddle and even stand on them. The big complaint about most of the plastic SOTs is that they are on the heavy side and slow. I have a light weight fiberglass and epoxy SOT called a Kazkasi Dorado which is designed for fishing. This boat is 16' and is a comprimize between stabilty and paddling speed. You should check out the Kayakfishingstuff website which has an active kayak fishing discussion board. There are many threads covering fishing kayak preferences. The Tarpon and Hobie boats seem to be quite popular.

Thomas

20. polepole

polepole New Member

Speeds ... from personal experience I can paddle a "slow" SOT in the low 3 mph's for extended paddles. And I can paddle a "fast" SOT in the high 3 mph's for extended paddles. Just to give you an idea what speeds we're talking about.

Tom, how are you liking that Dorado? I test paddled one last fall. Nice quick boat and I really like the "stiffness" of a non-plastic boat. The fit was a little tight on me though. Another more available (at least here in the USA) fiberglass/kevlar boat is the Current Designs Kestral 140. I've not tried one yet, but a guy I know is paddling one and he likes it well enough. I think you'll see more glass SOT yaks being introduced in the near future.

-Allen