Does any one fish out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 1morecast, Apr 11, 2007.

1. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

I have to chime in one more time.I used to have a Dagger Caymen,compared to my necky sit-in it was a joy to fish out of.The increased mobility is alot better as long as your properly prepared as PolePole pointed out.Check out the kayak classifieds,I've seen more than a couple prowlers for sale in recent memory,scramblers are a dime a dozen too when it comes to sit-ons.

2. House

House New Member

My wife and I just got a pair of 2007 Hobie Outbacks, and took them fishing this weekend for the first time. They're great fishing platforms--we were fishing down on the South Sound. I found them to be super stable (I fished side saddle for a while too, and it was no problem), and the hands free locomotion meant I could cast while moving, or troll a fly behind me. Casting a fly rod from the kayak is going to take some getting used too, especially since I'm not an exceptionally skilled caster anyway. :D
    The hobies are sit on tops, but we stayed very dry. I took one out through the squall that came through late Sunday afternoon--winds above 20kts and chop of 3 feet or so. The Outback performed great, it rode over the steep stuff with no problem. I got some spray in the face of course, but I was dressed for cold water and actually had a lot of fun.

The boats catch fish, too. We caught several hatchery coho in the 12" - 16" range. I also caught my first searun cutthroat of the year, a pretty 14" fish.

3. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Thx to all for their input!! In the past I have fished out of my 10' Outcast pontoon boat which wasn't too bad, as long as the wind stayed down. After watching a guy fishing out of a kayak he called the "big game model" { can't remember the mfgr.} His boat was loaded with a fish finder, rod holders, and plenty of storage for a day trip. I was amazed at how stabel this boat seemed to be in the water! And it looked fast to me, he was moving a lot faster, with less effort than I was. I am going to try and demo a couple of boats before i buy,and I am defintely going to take a kayak course.

4. polepole

polepole New Member

FYI. The Big Game is an Ocean Kayak model. In terms of speed, it is a slower boat. In terms of stability, it is one of the most stable boats.

-Allen

5. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    The Hobie Outbacks look like great boats, but It seem to me that the pedal mechanism would rust out quickly without a lot of cleaning and maintenance. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Tom

6. polepole

polepole New Member

I have not heard of the peddle mechanism having problems with rusting out. I have heard of some weakness issues in the hull where the drive mechanism sits, so if you're looking at a used boat (05 or earlier), make sure you check out that area for weakness and/or cracks. I've not heard about any issues with the 06 models, but they may be too new to exhibit the issues. Supposedly Hobie has fixed this in more recent models. For older models they'll also send you a fix kit free of charge. To their credit, Hobie supposedly takes these issue seriously and has great customer service when it comes to addressing them.

-Allen

7. House

House New Member

In the documentation that came with our Hobies, they reccommended hosing the mirage drives down and then spraying the metal bits with WD40 if you have them in the salt. In the research we did prior to purchasing the boats I didn't come across any complaints of rusty drives.

8. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Polepole... great to have you on the board. Thanks for all the input. I've always been a sit-in kayaker but after reading your posts and visiting your web link a SOT is a definite consideration. I especially like the stability of the SOT's you've mentioned since I like to take pics as well as fish. And, I can't afford a motor boat bawling:

9. Dave Ellis

Dave Ellis Member

I use the Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler :thumb: - super stable - stand up and fish - lots of room and storage.

10. Rich Schager

Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Hairwing,

I'm also looking at buying a Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler. My only concern at this point is speed / ease of paddling some longer distances. Any wisdom to share?

11. polepole

polepole New Member

I also own a Big Game Prowler in addition to a Prowler 15 (my primary boat).

Rich, what do you consider a longer distance for paddling? One thing I notice on a "slower" boat, is that a good paddle makes a big difference. Don't go with a cheapo model that flexes a lot as you'll lose a lot of your efficiency in the paddle. But don't go overboard and go with the biggest paddle blade right out of the chute unless you know already that you are a strong paddler. Bigger is not necessarily better, especially when it comes to paddling heavier boats over longer distances.

Another boat in the Ocean Kayak lineup worth considering is that Prowler 13. It is sort of in between the Big Game and the Prowler 15, faster than the Big Game but not nearly as stable, more stable than the Prowler 15 but not as fast.

If anyone is down south next weekend, I'll be working the Alder Creek Spring Paddle Festival at Vancouver lake, with kayak fishing talks at 11 and 3. Come check it out, stop by and say hi, and test drive different boats while you're at it.

-Allen

12. Rich Schager

Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

"Rich, what do you consider a longer distance for paddling?"

I'm going to moving a place that has an island (Squaxin) nearby that appears to be about a 10-11 mile journey to circumvent. So besides fishing, I'd also like to take occasional day trips, both alone and with others. And if that goes well, then I'd also like to take some longer trips.

13. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Here's my two-bits worth... just purchased a Hobie Fisherman with the pedal-drive system. You want to cover alot of water / distance in a short time with little effort? This is your craft. Check out the Hobie website on these. They're great!!!!!

14. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I'm going to be out of town. I love to meet you and talk about those yaks. Any others coming up?

15. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I personally enjoy fishing from the Bainbridge ferry. It has the power to get me around during the more turbid times on the water and I enjoy listening to Cisco on the loud speaker....Ha! Ha! Sorry for the bogus post!!!!!!

16. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

Interestingly check out www.OceanKayak.co.nz They seems to be a bit ahead of us with things like a built in port for a transducer.

17. polepole

polepole New Member

The Big Game has that built-in transducer port. Although I wouldn't want to give up the use of a scupper hole for it. You can just use marine goop to secure a transducer to the inside of any "plastic" boat. The transducer will happily shoot through the goop and the hull. Be careful not to have any bubbles in the goop as they will interfere with the signal.

Tim, I may be working the REI Paddle Demo Day in Seattle on June 9th ... http://www.rei.com/paddle#wa. I'm not 100% sure of my schedule yet.

-Allen

18. alaskaflyfisher

alaskaflyfisher Capt. Christian

Frank,

I have been a guide fresh, and salt water Colorado, and Alaska. I am involved with a lodge and Pacific Mountain Guides in Valdez, and Pybus Lodge on Admiralty Island. I researched the Kayak thing for 2 years before making a move on the right boat. I had all different manufactures wanting to send me boats to try and use. I will speak of only one boat designer for stability, handling, and amount of gear that it will hold. SOT by wilderness systems you cannot go wrong in my opinion, and i have used these with clients in Alaska, BIG WATER, and I only had one turn over and that was on the GUlkana river through a class 3 rapid.... the guy did not listen, but he was able to right the boat immediatley and get right back on go to shore change clothes and keep fishing! We nailed 8 30 ++ lb Kings from these boats. Used them all over Prince william sound, which is very similiar to the Puget Sound. The Tarpon 160i is my choice for speed and they can accomadate 345 lbs of dude and equip. Very stable, and everything is very accesible. I have fished Halibut Alaska style and it is a blast from these Kayaks....... Ck em out...

Capt. Christian Ray

19. polepole

polepole New Member

Christian, nice to see you here. Are you all set up to run kayak fishing trips out of Pybus this year? The T160 is a fast boat indeed, no doubt about it.

Evey kayak design has its pros and cons. Try as many as you can before making the plunge. With all the choices available, there is always one that fits "just right".

-Allen

20. alaskaflyfisher

alaskaflyfisher Capt. Christian

Allen, thanks and I should of mentioned the Prowler as well, I did finally use one last week. It did not have the leg room for a guy my size 6'3"...... and I love the adjustable foot pegs in the Tarpon.Otherwise it was a tossup! the Prowler is lighter by 8 lbs or so, which is a downfall of the tarpon, but it is a fast boat! Are you in town?? and yes I am set up with my initial baot order of 6 Tarpon anglers. my first Steelhead trip is the 10th of May, cant wait to get out of here!! Otto is looking forward to fishing with you this year, and I am going to try to be there as well!! Lets get together for lunch in the next or so if you can.....

Capt. Christian