Does any one fish out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 1morecast, Apr 11, 2007.

1. polepole

polepole New Member

Ah yes, the Prowler 15 tops out at about 6'3". I'm 6'3" myself and fit exactly perfectly. You must have longer legs than me. Oddly enough, the Prowler 13 has slightly more leg room. Howard McKim, a kayak fishing guide out of Ketchikan, is about 6'5" and he runs a Prowler 13 because it fits him.

Do whatever you can to meet us for the trip with Otto!!! It's certainly not a trip to miss. I'm looking forward to just absorbing all the knowledge I can from some of the kayak fishing "talent" that will be on this trip.

I'll be in town later in the week. Will give you a ring and we can have lunch.

-Allen

2. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Allen... thanks. Let me know if you are. One last question you or Christian might answer since you seem to be aqquainted with these three boats I'm considering based on your and other folks recommendations.

In order of stability (first being most stable) I would rank them (1) Big Game, (2) Hobie Outback, (3) Tarpon 16. In order of speed I would reverse the first and third so we have (1) Tarpon 16, (2) Hobie Outback, (3) Big Game. This is based pretty much on the beam measurement of each.

I'm leaning toward stability as the main priority but need to keep speed in mind if I want to get out with some of my sit-in kayak friends for a paddle.

So, here's the question: Is there a significant difference in speed (i.e. a knot or more) between the fastest and slowest in this group.

3. polepole

polepole New Member

I think you have it right for the stability and speed ordering. Here are some comments from a guy I know that owns an Outback.

The Outback is a really stable yak. It takes a lot of leaning just to feel like you could go over (yet I have gone their Shocked ). It's a great troller and not the fastest but moves quite well. I think it would be suited really well for someone who doesn't get on the water too much. I always feel like it sits too high in the water so makes me vulnerable to wind. It also paddles pretty badly compared to other yaks. But it does have a ton of room under all the hatches. If you're going to be on a lake hunting bass, salmon, or trout, the Outback will be great.

Another stable boat you might want to consider is the Malibu XFactor. I used to own a couple of those before switching to Ocean Kayak. Worth checking out, although I don't think there are any dealers in WA.

I think I answered the difference in speed in a previous post. You might have 1/2-3/4 mph speed difference between the fastest and the slowest SOT yaks. I'm not talking sprint speed, I'm talking average speed over distance which will be in the 3-4 mph range. To put that in perspective, you might have 1/2 mph speed difference if you took a group of 6 people and had them paddle the same exact kayak model.

-Allen

4. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I took my used OK Scrambler XL out in the Sound for the first time on Sunday morning. As Allen mentioned in previous posts, this isn’t the fastest or most stable kayak on the water, but I thought it did just fine. I started off paddling about 2 miles in 30 minutes, at what seemed to me to be a leisurely, but brisk, pace. The tide started running later in the morning, and I was amazed at how easy it was to paddle against the tide. I originally thought that casting from a kayak would be difficult, and that the primary use would be transportation to beaches that can’t be accessed by foot. Not so! I pointed the bow down-tide, and the boat held its position fairly well as I cast in towards shore. For a beach fisherman like me, it was a revelation to cast without worrying about snagging up on the back cast. I got out and fished three times, and except for the first time, when my leg went numb from the ½ hour paddle, I had no trouble getting in and out of the boat. That first exit was very scary – for a few seconds I felt like I’d drown. After that, I did leg stretches when paddling to keep my right leg awake. Kayaks ride low in the water, and are great for watching birds and wildlife. It’s almost the same feeling as being in a float tube on a lake.

I forgot two items which would have been useful. One was a stripping basket for fishing from the beach. I have a fold-up basket that will be easy to carry on the boat from now on. The other item is a pair of gloves, which may have prevented a small blister I have on my left thumb.

The fishing was slow – one small blackmouth and a strike from a sea-run. I did see a few fish jump. The highlight for me was fishing three new beaches that were previously inaccessible to me. Exploring is a big part of fishing the Sound, and I’m looking forward to more of it this summer.

I thought a report from a first-timer might be interesting for those considering a kayak. Hope this is useful.

Tom

5. alaskaflyfisher

alaskaflyfisher Capt. Christian

Tim, I think Allen has it right on the money. The only thing that i would say is the Tarpon travels a great distance after you stop paddeling, where the Ocean tends to slow faster. I am not a dealer or rep, so Allens knowledge of the overall value and strengths of many different kayaks are right on, I just fish for a living!!(sorry guys) :)

Tom if you are getting blisters its time for a lighter paddle, ck out the new fishstix by AT, they are not cheap but it weighs just over one lb!! I use these with clients and they have never gotten a blister even on 20 mile trips around the islands.

Capt. Christian

6. polepole

polepole New Member

So full disclosure here ... as you can tell from my postings and my signature, I am sponsored by Ocean Kayak. That being said, over time I have either owned or test paddled most of the SOT kayaks you'll come across. I try to be as objective as possible when discussing the strengths and weaknesses of any particular kayak and will give you my most objective opinions of the ones I have direct knowledge of. I encourage all to test paddle as many different kayaks as possible in order to find the "right" one for them. There is not one kayak model or manufacturer that has the right kayak for everyone, so again, try before you buy.

-Allen

7. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

PolePole and Alaskafisher... thanks for the replies.

PS to PolePole... your Ocean Kayak link in your sig doesn't work, for me anyway.

8. polepole

polepole New Member

Ah ... thanks Tim. Looks like OK has a new website now. I've relinked.

BTW, looks like I will be working the Seattle REI paddle event. Stop by and say hi.

-Allen

9. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Cool. I will:thumb:

10. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

11. polepole

polepole New Member

The Prowler Elite 4.5 is the same hull as the Prowler 15. It just has a few extra nice features.

BTW, this year's Prowler 15 does have a recessed scupper hole that fits a transducer. I didn't know that until I saw one this weekend. It's one of the rear tank well scupper holes.

-Allen

12. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

Hi Allen,

According to the printed specs, the two hulls are different

Elite: Length 4.5M Width 71cm Weight 30.4kg
    Prowler 15: Length 4.7M Width 72.4cm Weight 25.4kg

5 Kg seems like a lot to be the same.

Dean

13. polepole

polepole New Member

Good eye Dean,

From what I've been told, the Prowler Elite 4.5 actually has lineage from the Prowler 13, think of it as a stretched version of the P13. The P13 is a shortened version of the P15 so I guess there is indirect lineage. On the Elite, the footwells and front hatch will look like the P13, not the P15. Look at a top view of all 3 and you'll see what I mean. I actually like the drain channel in the footwells on the P13/Elite. I wish they had incorporated that into this years P15.

Subtle changes can affect weight drastically. Just putting in the drainage wells changes the structural integrity of that area of the boat requiring more plastic to be used. Same for the extra hole for the transducer. The center hatch is standard on the Elite and optional on the P15 so that adds weight too. Also the rod holders are standard on the Elite and not on the P15.

-Allen

14. raincityrod

raincityrod Guest

15. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

When is that event? I looked on the Seattle REI event page and they have an REI Paddle Demo day on 6/9. Is that the one?

16. polepole

polepole New Member

That's the one.

DATE: June 9, 2007 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

There is another kayak show on the weekend of May 19-20 ... high probability right now that I'll be at that one too ... http://www.metroparkstacoma.org/page.php?id=97

-Allen

17. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Allen,
    I look at the REI Seattle retail site and I don't see any of the kayak fishing models we've been discussing listed, so I'm going to assume they will not be available for demo at the REI event. Would the Point Defiance event be a better chance to try out the Prowlers?

18. polepole

polepole New Member

Ah yes, they will only be showing the models that REI carries ... http://www.rei.com/Search.do?crt=(a...ry,Kayaks^start^cat,4501489:Sit-On-Top Kayaks

The Prowler 13 and the Prowler Big Game are carried by REI.

The Puget Sound Sea Kayaking Symposium will have many, many more kayaks being shown. All the manufacturers attending typically show their full lines. Note that this is not a free event. You need to purchase a pass to demo yaks.

-Allen

19. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Hmmm. Guess I missed those when I searched the REI site.

Do you have any experience using the Big Game on a river? The specific rivers I'm think of are the Nonvianuk and Alagnak in Alaska. I floated those last year with some guys in big pontoon rafts. The rainbow fishing was excellent. The water was very broad but not that bumpy. I'd think a couple guys geared safely (drysuits and PFD's) could do it. It'd be like taking a taxi rather than the bus. :) Only question would be how to get them there since you have to get in by float plane. :hmmm:

20. polepole

polepole New Member

Nope. I have no experience running SOT's for fishing on a river. That being said, we have a float trip planned on the John Day in mid-June.

-Allen