Does any one fish out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 1morecast, Apr 11, 2007.

1. alaskaflyfisher

alaskaflyfisher Capt. Christian

Tim I have used the Tarpon 160 for cliebt trips in Alaska on the Gulkana. What you have to remember is the Gulkana has mild class 2 rapids, and that is all. I have used one on the Ho, as well and ran into no problems. The biggest problem you will run into is getting your boat to Anchorage, they will charge you a arm and two legs to get them there, and then you have to get out to the river via float plane, and most of the pilots. The boats have to go by AML, or another shipper, and it just cost me 200/ boat just to have them shipped to the lodge on Admiralty.

Allen how are ya......

Capt Christian

2. polepole

polepole New Member

Capt Christian, doing fine thanks. Will switch to email as I want to follow up with you on a few things.

-Allen

3. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

I looked at them all and decided on the Hobie Outback SUV... Hands free paddling, extremely fast, SOT. Check their website...

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Anyone here had the chance to try out the Heritage Ultimate 12? Looks like a good SINK design, a tunnel hull, stable enough to stand up in and cast. More of a kayak/canoe crossover. The only dealer in the NW that I've heard about is down near Portland. I might go look at them if I ever get down that way again.
    I saw them in the Orvis catalog, as well as going to their website. I think Orvis has the price jacked up way high (compared to the price I saw on Heritage's website, but Orvis' catalog price includes shipping charges), though, and even with the high price of gas, you could probably save hundred$ buying one elsewhere.
    They look like they'd be primo for protected waters, like some of the tidal creeks and estuary backwaters that I like to prowl. Not sure how that design would fare in the more open waters of the Sound. I like that it weighs only 55 lbs, and you can remove the seat and use it as a beach chair. Also, according to the manufacturer, it weighs a couple or so pounds less for carrying with the seat removed.
    I'm still checking into these, as I have never seen one except for a photo.

I did alot of research and also thought the Prowler 13's and 15's, as well as the Tarpons, sounded like the better SOT models.

Anyway, I'd like to hear an unbiased testimony about those Heritage Ultimate 12s.

5. polepole

polepole New Member

Are you sure you have the name correct?

There is a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 SOT (made by same parent company as Heritage).
    There is a Heritage Featherlite 12 SINK.
    There is a Heritage Redfish 12 SOT.

I had a chance to paddle the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 at the Alder Creek Paddle Fest. That's the store in Portland that I think you're referring to. It didn't really paddle like a kayak to me, but that might be because the seating is a bit different than what I'm used to. The skeg is a nice touch to help this kayak track. And the sponson design gives you good stability. It's an interesting design ... more like a canoe/kayak hybrid. There are a few other hybrids that have come out this year, but their names escape me right now.

I didn't try to stand up on it, but I wish I did. I think it could probably take it. Kind like the Wilderness Systems Ride or the Ocean Kayak Big Game, which have sponson like designs on the bottom.

The jury is out on the seat design/material. I heard a lot of comments/questions about whether it could take the wear and tear over the long run. But I have no direct knowledge that it couldn't.

My unbiased opinion ... I didn't see anything in this boat that made it special or any different than any other yak in it's class. I don't know if I'd take it out on the open waters of the sound. It doesn't have scupper holes. That's one ding for it, and a big ding IMO.

-Allen

6. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Polepole... "SINK"? Bad acronym for a boat, at best. What does it stand for? Sit In and Neal, Kinda?

PS: nice to meet you at the Owen Beach event. You surprised me. You're a lot younger looking that I expected from such a veteran.

7. polepole

polepole New Member

SINK = Sit INside Kayak. AKA SIK.

Tim, nice to meet you too. Did you end up getting that yak? Young, huh? Thanks! I get that all the time. I'm told I look a lot younger than I really am.

-Allen

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Polepole, Yes, I think that is the one I was asking about. The Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. Except that I thought it looked like more of a sink, rather than a sot design. But like you said, sort of a hybrid. Thank you very much for your comments.

9. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Jim,

I have put the Ultimate 12 on my shortlist along with the Redfish 12 and Ocean big game Angler. We have a Native dealer in town who will let me test drive all three boats in a pond outback. Something I plan on doing once I get my hand out of this cast!!!

I have to agree with Allen my main concern about the Ultimate 12 is the open design combined with a lack of scuppers for use in open water.

Frank

10. Bob Hake

Bob Hake New Member

Have you decided yet? I built one a few years ago and love it. This year I started fishing out of it for SRCs and it works just ok. Everywhere I go with my Pygmy, I get looks and comments.

11. Nutty Squirrel

Nutty Squirrel Says: Smoke Salmon not Crack

I haven't done any Fly Fishing from a kayak but have built three Pygmy kayaks (Two Coho models and a double that is 90% finished) Great boats for a fraction of the cost of a fiberglass or kevlar kayak. They are very easy to build if you have a bit of space and are willing to put in 50 hours of time. I did mount a flush mount Fish On brand pole holder on my coho models to hold a rod and troll a line behind me while paddling and it worked great. I imagine bucktailing/trolling a fly would work too. Pygmyboats.com

12. Bob Hake

Bob Hake New Member

Using a flush mount pole holder is a great idea. I have been struggling to find a way to paddle my coho pygmy while fishing / trolling. Thanks for the idea. By the way, do you also have a GPS mount..by chance?

13. Bob Hake

Bob Hake New Member

This summer I went on two overnight kayak trips and tried fishing from my pygmy coho model that I build a few years ago. The boats are available from Port Townsend and you can buy the kit and build them. They are beautiful, light, efficient and a joy to paddle. I learned tonight of the idea to install a flush-mount pole holder. I think you can find a better boat to fly-fish from though as this one sits low in the water. But it is great to cover water quietly. This weekend I 'drifted' into a nice area for SRCs and landed 2-3 from my boat. It is a sneaky and quiet way of easing into nice looking water.

Attached Files:

14. Pieter Salverda

Pieter Salverda Member

Home Page:
    Yes I do!!! This is me in Skunk Bay near Hansville. A nice fat Coho at the end of the line, and a picture taken by the neighbor. Fishing from teh canoe was a dream, once I started paddling backwards so I could see the rod while trolling!

Attached Files:

15. Nutty Squirrel

Nutty Squirrel Says: Smoke Salmon not Crack

No GPS mount. I alway just carried my handheld in my PDF pocket if paddling in fog. As far as the fish on flush mount holder. I am a lefty and the deck of the Coho model is not flat but a slight peak (inverted v) so I mounted the mount on the left side and placed the pole holder perpendicular to the kayak and also keep the pole tip elevated aprox 3' off the water. Also get a paddle leash so you can quickly abandon your paddle in the water on the side of the kayak opposite to the side you want to try to play your fish. Good luck.

16. kerriganbrian1@mac.com

kerriganbrian1@mac.com New Member

I love fishing from my Kayak. I have two Old Town Dirigo 120s. We use them for family recreation and I can take them out on lakes and up to class 2 rivers. I highly recommend the Old Towns. They are durable and comfortable.

-Brian

17. frankgo

frankgo New Member

Frank, Good name. I have been fishing out of a wilderness equip.Tarpon 14'6" for about 7-8 years. It is a sit on top, which I prefer. I fished the gulf of Mexico, the Galveston and Madagorda bay systems in Texas and the White and Little Red river in Arkansas. I have rolled the boat one time while fishing in a 3 foot surf. Chasing bull reds. I just flopped back in and went on fishing. I have a fish finder rigged with the transducer glued to the inside of the hull in the forward dry hatch. It is powered by sealed batteries , the kind used for deer feeders. The tarpon was my choice of boat and still is. I like the speed and find it very stable (even in a 3 foot surf, I did something stupid) I carry a hand held GPS for those foggy trips and night stalks and use a soft cooler with plastic freezer things for keeping fish (when I do keep fish) I haven't tried it here in the cold water of the sound but the rivers in Arkansas (cold enough for trout) were no problem.
    I have flush mount rod holders and one screw on holder for my fly rod. Folding anchor and that is about the rig. My wife has a 12 foot pelican but I have not tried it yet. If you are interested in a trip to try the kayak's I am looking for someone in the Bellingham area to fish with. Send me a PM if you are interested or if I can answer any questions. Frank Goss

18. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I love fishing in Skunk Bay. I have not been there since they started developing the lots above the bluff. I used to gain access by hiking in and taking the bluff ladder down or motoring my livingston around from the Cliffside Beach area. The sweet sight of silvers bashing your baitfish imitator as you rip it through the alleys in the kelp and eelgrass WHAM. That is acually where I caught my first eight or ten salmon on both flies and spinning gear. As soon as that area opens I should fire up the boat.