Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Does anyone fish in Washington anymore???

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Gary Thompson 
#1 ·
I just finished the worst 2-3 years of my life with culmination in heart failure a year ago this August and another small episode in July. I am recovering and getting better and finally back into the fishing thing again thanks to a friend here who encouraged me. I was kinda going down hill there for awhile. But I am back now. And I do not mean to be onery, BUT...

I know folks enjoy going to other states and countries to fish. But you know, this website has a name... and the first word of the URL is what makes this site special. And I would like to humbly suggest we start a new section or sections.... Other States and Outside the US... and maybe one just "out there".

:hmmm:

You know, I really cannot afford to go somewnere else now as I was self employeed and no health insurance when the ticker gave out. And it kinda hurts to be seeing all these things that I maybe will not be able to ever do. The lowest common denominator here is Washington fly fishing. But it is getting to the point that half of the posts are for other that Washington Fishing. And so I would just like to put it out there...

I really want to hear about the stuff that is here in the state. The stuff I might be able to enjoy myself. I do enjoy reading others experiences other places on occasion, but it really is starting to get to be too much in my humble opinion. When it was one or two percent... maybe as high as ten percent, it was ok and enjoyable. But now we are hitting near the 50 percent mark for out of state fishing. I mean, there are tons of sites out there tn go for such reports. And we are losing our uniquness. I come here specifically to read about washington. That is what makes this website special.

Can we please, please start a new section. I am not asking to stop these posts, it would just be nice given the frequency of out of state posts, that we start a new section.

Wildlander

See less See more
#2 ·
Another forum section for "out of state reports" would probably work fine. However, the other side of that coin is "why don't you just skip the out of state reports?". Nobody is forced to read any particular post on an internet forum.

The real issue is probably more a matter of timing. You aren't reading as many "in-state" reports because not as much is happening in-state right now. The weather is going downhill with rain in the lowlands and new snow in the high hills, school has started which keeps parents busy and students off the water, some rivers are starting to close, and so on. I suppose we could ask everyone to post a bunch of "I went steelheading and didn't catch anything today" threads, as that is probably happening a lot.

I think many people go into "winter" mode around here and start thinking about the flies they want to tie, the trips they want to take, or the football team that they love. I know I wanted to go fishing on this long weekend. But the nasty weather and the large pre-winter "honey-do" list kept me at home.

#5 ·
I think this section that you just posted in is intended for out of the area reports. There are not usually very many local reports in this section of the forum. Look in the main forum and salt forum for the local reports. Just ignore this section if you don't want to hear about other areas.

#7 ·
Wildlander,

Mostly I do fish in WA, and most of those trips are less than noteworthy, and I don't take photos most of the time. I posted photos from my trip to Alaska because it was out of the ordinary for me and for most who read it, and I had some photos.

I fished the Cowlitz yesterday and hooked two cutthroat, the biggest about 14". No steelhead, just like the previous six trips this summer. I fished Grays Harbor Saturday for salmon and caught one coho - on a herring, not exactly suitable for reporting here. There's a reason this section of the board has reports from places we don't fish every day. If you're not interested in them, don't read them. No one's twisting your arm.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.