Does anyone here fish lakes with a switch rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Javaid Spey, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Javaid Spey New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    I am buying a switch rod shortly, a Redington Prospector 4109-4 with a Delta 5/6 reel. I currently own a redington dually 8136-4 that I use for steelhead and I want to bring a two hander to the lake. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best types of line to use? Maybe a Skagit short? Thanks
  2. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    We did troll pass lake with our 8/9 spey rods once...go for it!
    flybill likes this.
  3. Javaid Spey New Member

That wouldn't be too much power?
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +743 / 0
    Depends on what you want to accomplish. I like scandi lines for dry fly fishing, and plane to use a switch on a couple of small, FF only lakes this year. I use the usual Skagit/Spey cast from the bank, and it solves problems with little or no back casting room and fish feeding a bit out of roll cast range.

I would think there would be plenty of uses, trick would be finding a stick light enough for most trout to be much fun fighting on it. I have one with a 140-270 grain window and another that is 270-320. I'll be using the lighter one for trout.
    Matthew LeBret and fredaevans like this.
  5. Tom Martin Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I build a 3/4 SH blank into a 10'6" switch. So its about a 2 switch. Use Ambush 4 (190@18') for line and love it. Great little trout rod. Plus its a great pontoon or tube rod. Extra length helps. Use 2h casts all the time, I can launch it a lot further than my SH, mainly because I sucked at double haul in SH and the switch lets me shoot more line that I could with a SH rod, especially in tight places, although out on the lake is no usually tight :), but from shore it can be nice.
    Jamie Wilson and Patrick Gould like this.
  6. Javaid Spey New Member

Thanks a lot guys I think I have a good idea of what lines to get I appreciate it
  7. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    I have a 5 wt switch, used it on lakes for tossing chiro rigs. It has a 7 wt Ambush line on it. Worked well enough but did not fit well in rod holders I had at the time. Heavier line than usual for a lake but the extra length gives the fish that much more torque to fight when you hook them.

Wayne
  8. Javaid Spey New Member

Nice :) the main thing for me is that I don't have a boat so I'm looking to get more distance from the shore. that and 2 handed casting is a blast. I'll check put some Ambush lines and some scandis for dry flies.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    What blank did you use? I don't know how to do a two handed cast, mostly because I live in small water/ trout country. I would like to learn and a little rig like yours would probably be tons of fun on the eastern cascade rivers.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    Periodically, there is a guy who sells blanks on e-bay. Last fall, I bought a 3 wt., 11 foot blank. It's an IM-6 vintage and I made the trip to Angler's Workshop for the components. The blank cost less than $20 and the components were near $80 so aside from the time to build the rod, I have less than a hundred bucks in it. I hope to get to it pretty quick as I want to use it for cutthroat on the rivers and as a trout two- hander. My biggest fear is that as soon as I cast it, it will break but then I haven't much invested.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +966 / 1
    Anglers Roost Enterprises sells a 3/4 rated 11' switch rod. I bought it for chronie fishing after an outing with Ira last year where he zinged a few casts out with his switch. I pair it with a DT6F line.
    doublespey and Patrick Gould like this.
  12. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    I'm afraid to ask who you were with for this historic event ?
  13. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +966 / 1
    Kinda sounds like outriggers in use.
  14. Tom Martin Member

Olympia, WA
    Got the blank from UTMOST (http://www.utmostenterprises.com/utmost_001.htm), but think it was a closeout. I also recommend Anglers Roost (ARE) he has some good inexpensive blanks for 11' switch rods.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  15. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    I picked up an A.R.E. 10' 3/4 rod (next time around, I'll be getting just the blank and build it myself, but I've never built a rod before, so I went this route, I think my complete rod was something like $100 and came with two tips), I added a 3" extension so I can two-hand it when necessary and with a 6wt Rio Salmon/Steelhead line (I cut the tip off) & it works great! I'm usually fish 6'6"-8' rods for trout (even on big moving water) so the extra length took a little bit of time to get used to (ok, not that long), but it makes a helluva chiro/nymph rod. I also like the nice relaxed action that the IM6 blank construction helps to provide...bottom line though, I get more distance with greater ease and better line control so from a pure performance standpoint, that's better...the only thing that's not as easy as with my shorter rods is landing fish with a longer rod.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  16. fly-by Active Member

Tangled in the Pines
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I agree that building one is the way to go. The blank is a good value, but the hardware on my A.R.E. switch has not held up. The fighting butt is made of a very thin gauge aluminum tube that stretched under the torque of two-handed casting and detached from the portion that threads into the reel seat. To answer the OPs question, Red's has a good summary of the characteristics of various switch lines on the market now. Let us know how you like the Prospector.
  17. Javaid Spey New Member

I will. Still waiting to pick it up but it should be soon. I'm deciding on either a short Skagit head or a switch chucker line to throw sink tips. Thanks for your input I'm looking forward to getting into switch

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
  18. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +444 / 0
    yes. i am a streamer guy, on that note the shorter lines are better for efficiency. opposite of the steelhead world where less stripping may benefit. the ambush is a good choice. i like a clear intro tip.
  19. bigtroutchaser Member

High Desert, Central Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    This has me thinking about making the transition to a 2 hander for lakes also. I am WAY into using my pontoon and am having a 'lil shoulder issue and the way I was casting my 13' 7wt Dec Hogan.....I got to thinking...hmmm, this could be a cool way to fish my streamers!

I bought a ECHO 10', 8wt....but at 6 ounces it is a LOG by days end, and given I fish as much as I can......I am looking at options. REALLY like the longer length when lifting the line before casting!!

My son Joe owns M3/Mountain Made Media and the main project last Fall was to catch a BIG Brown. Here is the end result. FISH ON!!
  20. 2kayaker New Member

Sedro Wooley, Wa
    12 foot ARE 3/4wt UHM blank $90 their 16 spey handle, high quality light guides, an overize single foot guide for tip top.Good succes wth Ambush 4 wt, cheaters, trout tips or 6wt rio steelhead line for long belly type casting.The rod is light enough to single hand when you want