Does Anyone Know Of A Video On How To Tie A Drunken Dragon?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Breck, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Breck

Breck Active Member

I had some really great success on Pass Lake recently with the Drunken Dragon, loaned to me by a fishing buddy. I gave the fly back to him at the boat launch as we were leaving. I should've hung on to it. Anybody know how to tie or where to buy this fly?

2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    May want to check out Swede's...the originator used to tie there. All About the Fly has some connection with William Servey as well so you could try there to.

3. Breck

Breck Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Checked both sites, with no success. I think I can maybe figure it out, based on photos. The only thing that's throwing me off is the amber glass bead eyes.

4. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I was implying that you might actually pick up a phone and call them as both shop owners know William well and could probably get you some flies or arrange a tying demonstration.

5. Breck

Breck Active Member

I'll try that too.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Jim (Old Man) said in 2006 he knew how to tie this pattern. You might check with him to see if this portion of his brain cells is still viable. Mine aren't and Bill showed me back years ago.

Also, I think Bill is dead. I hope I'm wrong.

7. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I found out I've got three of the drunken dragons in a flybox but I am hesitant to untie one to "reverse engineer" it. The back half of it is at least a triple wrap of chenille and the head has the red beads on a short piece of 20lb plus mono. The legs appear to be olive dyed Hun tied in a clump underneath. The red beads have the same olive chenille figure-eighted over them a number of times.

9. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

bill, bring them to the meeting on tues. and we will construct some. p.m. me as to what materials we need. see ya on tues. and bring a raffle item. i have a bunch of stuff i culled from the closet. mike w

10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
  11. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    After tying (or trying to replicate) the drunken dragon since 12/1 I've finally figured out the little twist Wm. Servey has to this pattern.

It's pretty much straight forward like the picture except the chenille is wound around the eye stems, not figure eighted as it appears. Chenille is wound around each eye stem and then figure eighted, wound behind and then ahead of the head.

The one I have is on a #6 2xl hook
    1. Pinched olive marabou tail
    2. medium olive chenille wound three times on the back half of the hook. Lg chenille would be up and back
    3. olive dyed pheasant for the hackle
    4. 2 red beads on mono, melted on the ends. The mono is pinched in a loop and tied under the body. Originally I thought the loop was a semi weed guard but it appears it's to move the eyes to the proper position.
    5. Olive chenille wound around the eye stems, wound behind the eyes, figure eighted over the eye and then one wind in front and whip finished off.

In my opinion I don't think this pattern would be any better or worse than the floating dragon or the lake dragon. All are bulky dragon imitations.

12. FT

FT Active Member

Since William was a friend of mine and I spent time at his house before his wife died and he moved to Whidbey Island, I've seen him tie the fly many times. This is the pattern:

tail: yellow dyed Chinese pheasant philo feathers
    body: medium size olive chenile (true olive, not dark olive)
    hackle: yellow dyed Chinese pheasant rump
    eyes: silver-lined red beads mounted on a single piece of mono (William like to use RIO SlickShooter in either yellow or green)
    head: medium size olive chenile

(Note: sometimes William used small oval gold Lagartun tinsel for a ribbing, most of the time he didn't)

The tie the fly William tied things in in this order:

1) He mounted the silver lined red beads on the mono and melted the ends so they would stay put (he would do dozens of eyes at a time)

2) The first thing tied-in is the red bead eyes.

3) He would wrap the thread down the hook to the end of the shank and tie-in 2-3 of the dyed yellow Chinese pheasant philo plumes for the tail (he would break/tear them to length after tying them in to keep them from being too skinny at the ends). The philo plumes are the small, marabou-like feathers found at the root of each feather on the rump patch.

4) Next is the olive chenile body (not dark olive, but medium olive)

(if he decided to use a ribbing he would tie the small gold oval Lagartun in now too)

5) Wrap the body and end it just a tad before you reach the bead eyes. (and wrap the ribbing if you decided to use it)

6) Tie-in a yellow dyed Chinese pheasant rump feather by the tip, double the feather as you wrap it, tie it off, and then pull the fibers down around the sides and bottom the the fly holding them in this position by 2 wraps of thread that go over just the top of the pheasant feather.

7) Tie-in and wrap the olive chenile by first wrapping it around each bead eye (as has been mentioned by someone already) without going around the shank, then wrap it around the shank in a figure 8 and finish with a single wrap around the shank just before the eye.

8) Whip finish and cement the thread head (which should be very small).

Yes, William used dyed yellow Chinese pheasant rump and philo plumes, not olive marabou or Hungarian Patridge. He dyed whole pheasant rumps with yellow (not golden yellow or flourescent yellow) dye himself with acid dye he would buy by the pound. When natural Chinese pheasant rump is dyed yellow, the grey portions of the rump patch and feathers becomes olive (this is simple physics at work, to get a superb olive, just eye grey feathers yellow. It is how olive was gotten for many years by folks who dyed their own materials. Anyhow, once the natural Chinese pheasant rump patches are dyed yellow, you get that nice mottling William had on his DRUNKEN DRAGON. If you even see one of these that William tied and look at it closely in either sunlight or under a daylight lamp, you will see there is a decided yellow cast to the tail and hackle.

At any rate, the hardest material to find is the yellow dyed natural Chinese pheasant rump. That is why William dyed his own.

Hopefully this will help folks tie William's DRUNKEN DRAGON.

Thom Collins and Jeff Dodd like this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
  14. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I am bumping this thread and the detailed response/reciepe from FT!

15. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    There is a SBS on the fly pattern forum SBS.

Jeff Dodd likes this.