Does anyone remember Kunnan rods?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by H2O, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bill Johnson Member

North Bend, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Gatorator - that's a 3 wt? That is impressive.
  2. MGP0657 New Member

Kamloops,B.C. Canada
    Do you still have your noodle rods and would you be interested in selling one. Mark Piper=mgp0657@shaw.ca
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +684 / 5
    You sure? Wonder if its a majorly old stock sitting on the shelf? I know when they stopped making fishing rods (a fire I believe) they still had their golf shaft division still operating.

I still have several Kunnans. 2 of the noodle rods being sought after (were my Dads doubt I'd sell them). Have a bigger 3 piece 12'. Looks like a heavy pinning rod. Small eyes like a pin/baitcaster.
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +736 / 0
    the fishing tackle store in sandy oregon was selling them last summer bought two 6wt fly rods 50 bucks a piece with labels attached.
  5. Manofsteelhead New Member

Richland ,WA
    I own a Kunnnan 5/6 wt 8'6" fly rod that I purchased about 4 years ago, this little fly rod casts very accuratly and is fun to fish with, because it is so easy to use, these guys still make fishing rods but only one fly rod the model KIM7-862F-56, these guys are not cheap just very inexpensive. I have used mine alot and it has held up very well, still looks new, this rod looks alot more expensive than it actually is, it is a two piece rod with full wells handle and nice reel seat with a cherry wood insert. When I purchased this fly rod I did so to replace a rod that had broken and the only fly rod the store carried at the time, but after I took it fishing I realised what a bargan this rod truly is...
  6. Manofsteelhead New Member

Richland ,WA
    they still make them,maybe not a noodle type rod but a good rod, I just purchased an 8'6" Kunnan medium action 8-17lb line weight bait caster this spring, it is a good looking rod dark green finish with cork handles and it is sensitive and light weight, I really like mine.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +684 / 5
    Hmmmmm, they must literally put them back into production. I know they've been making golfshafts for years, and since they were making broom handles, they were making some deep sea rods. I loved thier old brown blanks. Those were the best (spiraltech) rods, especially for the money. Had thier 8'6" 8-12# spiraltech and that baby landed alot of fish until I finally got rid of it when it hit it's service life.
  8. jay.bauer@salestechnics.com New Member

san clemente, ca
    the same thing just happened to me, behind my freezer in my garage i found a dirty tube in it was a Kunnan backpacking rod that i purchased from REI in the 80's and may have used twice. it is a 74775 7'6" 4-5 wt rod 4 piece and it only cost 39.75 the sticker is still on the tube. in searching the web i found this thread.
  9. RoseyRayF New Member

Hillsboro
    Had the good fortune to find a 9 foot mooching type of salmon steelhead casting rod this week at a thrift store. It is labeled as follows:
    Kunnan Graphite Northriver, N7690XH 9' 0", 274cm, x.hvy. 15-30 Lb LINE. I've found good condition gear in thrift stores before but this is one of those exceptional finds. It appears never to have been used. Butt shows no abrasions. The cork handle is slightly longer than the usual steelhead/salmon rods I've seen. The fit and finish is really great. It does have the Fuji style reel keeper. By the way, paid $6.99.