Does anyone still use this great winter steelhead fly?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hmmm, after looking over the recipe for Drain's 20, I see that the picture John sent me lacks a few significant details (toucan, cock-of-the-rock, and the wing material don't seem to match). This makes me wonder if John's statement that it was tied by Wes Drain was accurate. Any suggestions for a cock-of-the-rock substitute? I think I'd like to tie up a few for use this winter.

2. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

Preston,
    The fly is an old one, John Farrar thought it was from the 50's. This is a variation and as Wes told me he not always had the two feathers available(toucan, cock of the rock). I tied the body the same , but with a different color of wing.. white, purple, red, and black polar bear. Did Wes do the same..?
    Feathers were tough to get after WWll, then came the Korean conflict and feather suppliers had a tough time importing except central europe feather merchants. These feather merchants had anything for a price, and only a few U.S. shops got feathers through.. like Jimmy Deren. I spoke to Ted Niemeyer last night about the "20", since he has examined many collections over the years, thought Wes tied several types before the BIG fish that landed the name.
    Flies are going out to all on Monday.

Thanks for sharing your flies and experiences

Dave McNeese

3. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Hey Dave would love to participate in the study! Will pm you with my info. Great idea! Kevin

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    all you fine anglers recieving these flys from Dave are gonna be amazed. I have just seen the flys ya'll are gettin..... I recommend using 65 lb Maxima tippet to avoid losing them. Better to break the rod and the arm and straighten the fly than lose it, no????

Now if I can just figure out how to interupt that shipment....hmmmmm,LOL. Nice flys Dave!!!!!

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I met the infamous Dave McNeese last Sunday and picked up my fly. Actually, he tied it right in front of me. What an amazing thing to see Dave tie. I’ve been tying so many fishin’ flies that I’ve forgotten all subtleties. The way he lays the thread all evenly spaced, material of a quality I’ve not seen or can buy at a local shop and the stories that go along with demonstration were fascinating. Truly, a master at the tying bench. His hospitality for a short visit were far more than I knew possible with kids running around, kittens and horses everywhere, in the midst of moving, etc. he still took time out to tie me a fly. If everyone were as kind and generous as Dave, the world would be a much better place. Thank you Dave.

6. Ned Wright

Ned Wright New Member

Media:
    Hello Dave,

I would be honored to fish this fly. I am a steelhead newbie, so no promises on the quality of the data I will return to you, but I will send you information on the amount of time the fly was on the river, what river, flow conditions (high, low, in shape), weather (sunny, cloudy or rainy (being a UV fly and all)) and number of strikes (I can't promise that I will land them:mad: ) and/or success rate. I you want any information in particular, let me know.

In pm you mentioned size. I would guess that 8 or 10 would be best, but anything from 6 to 12 would be fished. I will only be bank fishing on small to medium steelhead rivers in the south sound/sw washington. Possibly the penninsula, but no guarantees.

PM sent with address and phone #

Thanks for the opportunity,
    Give me a call if you have questions,
    Ned Wright

7. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    PM Sent. I too am a steelie newbie. I am planning a trip to the Grand Ronde Dec. 30 and 31 so if your offer is still up, I would be more than happy to give that fly a try.

8. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Dave, the fly arrived the weekend. It is stunning. I am really looking forward to getting it into the water. I will post a report as soon as it happens. This is going to be great fun.
    Best regards, Steve

9. Don Stracener

Don Stracener New Member

Media:
    Dave,

The flies are fantastic!

Since I haven't spent a lot of time on the water a friend has been fishing the heck out of your flies.

Three days fishing just that fly and nothing yet. He lives on the river and fishes every day. I'll tell you just putting that fly in the water was something, all you want to do is look at it.

As for a substitute for those feathers. The main feature, besides good looking, is the UV properties of the feathers. Just matching the colors would not do the job.Your substitute would have to have those UV properties.

Will keep you posted.

10. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Hi Dave I know this might be a little late, but just saw your post on wanting to try an experiment with the Drain 20. I would love to try it on my local water up here at the Pilchuck and Skykomish Rivers if you don't mind.

:cool:

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Wow - fly arrived and I'm beyond impressed. As Davy suggested, 65lb test minimum. <g> Beautiful fly I will certainly enjoy fishing this coming spring season.

The colors in this fly really work together. Examine in a dark room with different back-lighting and you'll see what I mean!

Thanks Dave -this should be an interesting experiment!

Brian

12. Norseman1

Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

Got the flies Dave.

Thanks very much, they are wonderful, and will no doubt get a good workout. Whenever I finish this basement drywalling:beathead: :beathead:

Thanks so much for the artwork. I will send you some of the Coquihalla series of Tommy Brayshaws era. Nice to see the oldies still working their magic.

Thanks again, you send flies to a total stranger who simply wants to fish a legend....it speaks well of your character sir. I tip my hat to you

Best regards
    Paul

13. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I received mine as well and would echo the sentiments of others...beautiful fly and what a generous act. I had the added pleasure of talking at length with Dave about the experiment. Fascinating and illuminating conversation. I learned a great deal, not just about the UV/florescent effect, but a great deal more. Thanks, Dave:beer2:

14. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Tuna, I shared the topic of my in-depth conversation with Dave with a friend who is the former head of the National Zoo in Washington DC. He is going to do some additional research and feature the topic in an informal monthly newsletter that he shares with friends and colleagues. I will forward you a copy when it is published Dave.

Best regards, Steve

15. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    After a brief conversation with Dave I plan on using this fly extensively this comming year on the Gaspe. This is going to be a great experiment. I'm currently trying to recruit some more help with this from the locals up there.

16. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Steve,
    I'd appreciate that. Thanks.

Jon

17. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

This pattern can be found in Randy Stetzer's Best 1000 Flies (I think that's the title, or some variation of that). I've tied it and fished it, to no avail. But that can be said of virtually every fly I've tied and fished for winter steelhead.:(

18. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    The idea of flourecense and strike behavior will be interesting to see. The male and female Atlantic Salmon (salmo salar) of the Gaspe peninsula come into the rivers at different times of the year. This will allow me to affectively fish this fly to both males and females. It is interesting to me the effectivness of certain flies on certain fish. Dave are you able to use this material on different patterns?

as for the flies for the study I need a size 2 for early season high water fish and a size 6 or 8 if possible for summer low water fish.

19. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

What a great offer from one of the steelhead greats! PM sent. I would be honored to fish this fly in my local waters. Please make it on the small side. We are 150+ river miles from the sea. This is going to be interesting as those of us who swing the classic style flies are definitely in the minority around here.

20. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Seems that way, doesn't it?