Does D. Compensated make a difference?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by nwtroutguy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

So, I am just curious for some input anyone might have on using a DC rated sinking line? Is it really worth the extra $ 30.00?

Thinking of buying a new sinking line in type 5 and wondering what people might have experienced.

Thanks for the input.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    How much are you going to use it? Mostly casting/retrieve or trolling or deep vertical? If you aren't going to be fishing it regularly, you won't likely notice a difference. Also, I haven't paid full retail for many lines. Keep any eye out for sales and closeouts . . .you can probably find a DC line for the cost of a non-DC one.

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Get a DC line and you'll be needing a spare spool to put it on. For a lot less money you can set yourself up with several shooting heads of different sink rates. One reel and a sink tip tip wallet will do the trick. It sounds like a PITA to swap out a shooting head while sitting in a float tube, but it's really easier than changing spools.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I'm hoping it does. Soon I'll be upgrading a decades old Type III for a new Rio Intouch Deep 3 to replace it. It is DC and bi colored to give some idea of how much line is out. Like most modern lines it has a loop which I am ambivalent about but overall I expect much better performance than what I am used to. At $80 it might sound a little spendy but when you amortize that over a decade or so of use the cost is just mouse nuts.

Ive

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    DC does make a difference. I do a lot of stillwater and I even use it on some rivers. You have an even sink rate, no belly...when you strip in, it is going to run level. No belly, uniform sink
    Wet Cell is more for weedy bottoms and another good choice depending on where you fish. It will form a belly so the fly sinks down.

I use a Type II all the time. Fantastic for keeping those wet flies in the zone on rivers.
    I also have the multi line set up as suggested but I do not care for it as the connections are problematic at times. Plus I fish deeper than 15' majority of the time.
    I say having a Type II and a Type VI or VII is all you would need to cover any situation. I have them all from Intermediate (Type I) up to Type VII but I rarely use them all. Type V is one I have use maybe twice in 5 years.

6. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Yes. I do a lot of stillwater and have a lot of different lines and when you go any deeper than two or three feet I think the loss of a belly means more hook-ups.

7. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Ha, I'll save my breath since you and I fish together :D. For what it's worth, I'm on my 6th or 7th SA Mastery Uni-sink V since they came out, and will buy another when it's time.