Does everybody smoke pot?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Vancouver
    Ratings: +39 / 0
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    "Never trust a man whose assertions of right and wrong emerge from the law. He's either a lawyer or a politician."
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    I drink non-alcohol beer all the time. I like the taste of beer but have a problematic reaction to alcohol; I seem to get thrown in jail for either having too much fun or falling asleep in the middle of the road.
  4. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +542 / 0
    Legality and morality are decidedly different things. It has always seemed to me that many laws are created to benefit thoose that create them.

I can make a hell of a case for why you should not smoke weed. I can't make any argument as to why it should be illegal.

I think that the question has been answered. No not all fishermen smoke weed. I suspect that about the same percentage of fishermen do as the percentage of the general public do. In the US of A that is a pretty signifigant percentage.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  5. Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Mount Vernon, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Cheers, Kerry. I don't doubt that you enjoy a non-alcoholic beer on a hot day at the creek. Good on you for taking care of yourself and recognizing your limits. Yet I somehow doubt ifsteve has ever opted for the non-alcoholic beer option at his local watering hole. Correct me if I'm wrong...
  6. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Like Dean Martin said, "I feel sorry for people that don't drink cause when they get
    up in the morning thats as good as they will feel all day." Make it alll legal and let people
    kill themselves...weeding (no pun intended) of the herd if you will.

Dave (who's not here)
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Great replies to a progressive social commentary..... I appreciate the feedback-- Mission accomplished! Unless you build a tolerance for it, via smoking regularly, it pretty much fucks you up---especially with the potency modern strains have. It does impair driving and other neurological/physiological functioning. It’s a psychoactive substance that has a strong impact on how the brain communicates with the rest of our body. Simply put, it is not good for you, but I won't get into that here.

Let's not fool ourselves. Everyone has a vice that in some way acts as a coping mechanism for dealing with the pace of our modern day insane lifestyle. Only you, as an individual, know what this tool is. We're all messed up---our dysfunction is garden variety. I don't trust anyone who claims they lead a perfectly moral life (the hypocrisy would drive you insane). In other words, if someone wants to smoke pot to unwind, so-be-it; the other alternatives carry harsher consequences to self and society.
  8. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    just some shits and giggles.

<-- speed channel informal study

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5450 <--- NORML (biased source) conclusions and references of various cannabis studies that involved driving.

1993 US DOT study of effects of cannabis on driving.

"Marijuana's effects on driving performance were compared to those of many other drugs. It was concluded that THC's effects after doses up to 300 mcg / kg never exceed alcohol's at BAC's of 0.08 g %; and were in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs'. Yet THC's effects differ qualitatively from many other drugs, especially alcohol. Evidence from the present and previous studies stronly suggests that alcohol encourages risky driving whereas THC encourages greater caution, at least in experiments. Another way THC seems to differ qualitatively from many other drugs is that the former's users seem better able to compensate for its adverse effects while driving under the influence. Still one can easily imagine situations where the influence of marijuana smoking might have an exceedingly dangerous effect; i.e., emergency situations which put high demands on the driver's information processing capacity, prolonged monotonous driving, and after THC has been taken with other drugs, especially alcohol"
    http://www.iowatelecom.net/~sharkhaus/driving_pot_usdot1993.html

just food for thought on the subject of driving with cannabis in the system.
  9. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Seattle basically decriminalized pot years ago. People here tend to not care one way or the other about pot use--to each his or her own.
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Dustin, that is not a peer reviewed research study, and is pretty much worthless in the world of legitimate research. It is the "concentration" you speak of that creates the problem. The effect cannabis has on the brain diminishes the capacity to multi task; rather you focus on one thing too much, such as the stereo or a conversation in the back seat. Cannabis also eliminates peripheral vision, the same component that makes THC a positive medication for glaucoma. Whether one realizes is it or not, your ability to see outside of a narrow scope (visually and cognitively) is limited. This is proven science. There are actually no real statistics showing how many road related accidents are attributed to cannabis use (in the works). My educational assumption is that the findings will be substantial. Keep in mind, the use of cannabis in not readily detectable as alcohol is. If you get in an accident, the officer is not going to UA you at the scene and only a few officers are trained in detecting signs of THC intoxication by sight.
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the ingesting cannabis and then driving is a good idea. Hell, taking a lot of over the counter drugs and driving is advised against.

The fact that cannabis is illegal has absolutely nothing to do with how safe or dangerous its use is. The federal prohibition of cannabis use, possession, or sale is as irrational as legislation gets.

Sg
  12. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Pan, smokin pot might impair your re-action time, but your probably only doin' 15 miles an hr.
  13. Panhandle Active Member

Salmo, I agree. By the way, operating a vehicle on prescribed medication is illegal if the origins of the vehicle related issue can be connected to being intoxicated on said medication. Like with THC, there is trained law inforcement to detect this form of altered state. Almost all psycotropic Rx bottles warn against driving for this reason.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    Prohibition of Cannabis has everything to do with the timber and textile industries, and nothing to do with how "dangerous" it is.
  15. Mikey_Mac Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I'd eat too many funyuns and fall asleep in the river and drown. I stick to whiskey.
  16. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
  17. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    "Pan, smokin pot might impair your re-action time"...................so true................don't need to hold, then drop a loop when swinging for steel..................cooooooooool !
  18. John Dougher Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    "Like with THC, there is trained law inforcement to detect this form of altered state"

They are called DRE’s (drug recognition experts). As I understand it if a person suspected of being under the influence passes a breathalyzer however the officer believes that the person is on something the DREs get involved. I have watched the process, usually takes about 45 to 60 minutes.
  19. norcal51 Member

coeur d alene, Id
    just like the energizer bunny. this thread keeps going and going and going
  20. Daniel Nelson BAMF

Minnesota
    its only a matter of time before Chris makes this thread a "sticky", or locks it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.