Does it still count if your....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 1, 2014.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +771 / 0
    guide or buddy nets it for you 80ft down the run?

It's hard for me to remember the fish that a buddy has netted for me. I mean, it's still awesome, I'd take it all day 6 ways to Sunday. But, be honest with yourself. The ones you remember are on those solo trips where all of the sudden you're in a panic of euphoria because you realize it's just you and the fish. The fish is huge and it peeling off line with authority down the run. It's starting to feel that there's no way to stop it in fact. And somehow, you're going to have to back this beast up sideways and coax him into your knees while not popping him off.

The feeling of that tail and belly is hard to beat.... most especially when you realize you forgot your camera and you don't have to worry about the hero selfie.

Disclaimer: Fully aware there is a contingent of fishermen who use 30lb mono with dry line hookless flies who don't catch fish, but when they catch fish, are immediately filled with conservation regret from disturbing the intricate balance of a fish they wish they weren't harming, but are still standing in the river all day hoping to handshake. I respect your opinion, just not as much as someone grounded in the reality that fishing is still fishing.
  2. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Guided fish don't count. Guides are for the morally questionable.

Go Sox,
    cds
    John Hicks, Ed Call, TomB and 2 others like this.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,697 / 0
    If you're counting, you're fly fishing for the wrong reason. Ergo, the question lacks relevance Jesse. However, you're quite right that a fish is more likely to become memorable if things don't go smoothly.

Sg
  4. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +155 / 0

This is why I only fish tailouts and from the outside bank...
    Chawhee and Bob Triggs like this.
  5. Chawhee Active Member

Ratings: +74 / 0
    It counts. Think of it as a field goal rather than a touchdown. On another note, if you are not counting, you might as well bring your invisible fly rod and hit the river. Catching fish is never a requirement, but it does let you know that you are doing something right every once in a while.
  6. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +511 / 1
    I agree Jesse that's why solo walk n wade will always be my favorite way to approach steelhead fishing. There is a new level of intimacy with the river and the fish when your boots follow an elk path to a from the holy water. And when it all goes down, you tied the knot, swung the fly and handled the fish. Nice work.
    John Hicks, JesseC, Pat Lat and 2 others like this.
  7. Red Arch Active Member

Lower Mainland or Interior of BC
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    It does.

However the size of the fish loses 1/4 of an inch per foot down the river :cool:
    flybill likes this.
  8. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +860 / 0
    for me, memories of steelhead rarely involve the landing and handling of them.
    Ed Call and Clarki like this.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    For me the memories are always about the the water or specifically the run. I always wonder why, or if ever, I will catch a steelhead from the many fine pieces of water out there. The really good runs are too easy, but are on the menu after too much skunk. When I finally do get one from a run for the first time it is the most special. I simply love rivers first, steelhead second. One shouldn't be without the other here on the PNW.

That being said, pics or it didn't happen. ;)
    golfman44 likes this.
  10. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Better for the fish, but probably not better for the memory banks. I feel good every time I catch a steelhead or hook one for that matter. A good quality CNR net and a long distance scoop is great.

Patrick
  11. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    Knowing full well how you fish, I'll play along with your hypothetical scenario. It's like Mark McGuire's HR record... will always have an asterisk next to it ;). My last hook-up was one of those never take a swung fly hatchery fish on the Cowlitz. Not to hand...had no net...did not care.
  12. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +398 / 0

if you got it to take the fly it counts