Does NCP work for you?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by VancouverFisher, Aug 8, 2005.

1. VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Okay, I've been experimenting with an Angler's Workshop Brand NCP thread for a while now and no matter how tight I pack and burnish the wraps, I still end up having to put preservative on them to maintain color. Even then, the preservative doesn't do its job (flexcoat). So, heres my questions for y'all: Have you had success with NCP thread? Does the brand you buy really hold its color after the finish is applied? I'm working with a bright purple right now and its been a nightmare trying to preserve the color.
  2. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    We use Gudebrod brand NCP up here at Greg's. Even with the NCP I tend to put some color sealer on it when I'm wrapping a rod for one of our clients. Myself I don't. I just finished wrapping up a little 7'6" 4wt and my signature wrap is tipped with white NCP. Although not super bright white it is still definitely white even with the epoxy on and cured.

Perhaps it is the brand of NCP or the brand of your color sealer. We use, like I said, Gudebrod threads and our color sealer is a U-40 product.

When I get my 4wt home I'll take some photos so you can see the white tipping.
  3. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    sounds like angler's workshop better change suppliers. i've never had a problem with NCP thread, usually Gudebrod, but i must have used others sometime. for the past few years i've gone to regular thread so i can get some translucence and end up with colors i can't find in thread by layering on butt wraps. using color preserver as a leveler will produce a much better surface for applying finish also.
  4. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Heh there Shane...just brought home my little 4wt from the shop today. This is the one that has the NCP white (Gudebrod) thread at my signature wraps. You'll notice that the main signature wraps are scarlet red (no color sealer) and tipped in NCP white. I used no color sealer on this rod. Give Gudebrod a shot and you might be pleased, if you haven't already.

Any questions give me a holler...
  5. VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Vancouver, WA
    Wow. The scarlet is surprisingly briliant - not as dark as I would expect it to be. Looks like Gudebrod gets my vote. Thanks, Scott.