Does tradition matter while steelheading

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelheadjunky, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    oh nothing like stirring the pot... :)

andy please do refrain from the G.R. if you dont like it. It doesnt need anymore pressure. You must just be all about catching fsh if you nymph the G.R.

hahahaha.... i dont know how many times we watched this movie on roadtrips. good times.
    "Cough, Look over here... veronica, would you like to go to the pants party"

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yes I'm guilty of catching too many fish and not releasing them. Years ago there was only a handful of people flyfishing for Steelhead. When I first started fishing it was with bait and spinners and I got lots of fish. And I kept them all reguardless if it was a planter or a native.

40 years ago it just didn't seem to matter as there was lots of fish and very few fisherman. And much less flyfishers. But It has seemed to blossom in the last 15 years. Lots more fly fishers.

And now after the horse has gotten out you all want to close the barn door. I believe that it is a little too late to start with the Tradition of steelheading. Besides I'll let you pass me on a river if you will just keep moving down stream and not just stop and don't move.

Jim

3. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Guess I missed the boat on this one. I should have re-read the initial post as I missed the bobber-and nymphing naked part. I thought he was referring to the other post where the setup looked like a corkie rig. Time to stop using droppers off the dry when trout/steelheading. Wish my back pain would go away so I can get out.
    Tight lines everyone!
    Mike

4. coffeeand trout

coffeeand trout New Member

Tradition is what you make it. What kills me is all the people ignoring the tradition of the single handed rod and ruining it for the rest of us with those "Spay" (sic) rods. Didnt see Walt Johnson using one of those, or even that master of tradition (especially salt water tradition ) Combs.
    I cant even go on the Sky without having a bunch of Spey rodders running over Redds with their Jet sleds.
    Go get a Bamboo rod, Some silk line and a gut leader, tie on a Skykomish Sunrise, put on your rubber wading boots with your rope soles and then you just might be on to something, but for me the biggest tradition is being out with friends, rod in one hand, Schmidt in the other knowing that I have the opportunity to catch a fish, but that as usual, the most I will have caught is a buzz.
    Both feet down,

Trout and coffee

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

As an old geezer, I can remember how we use to attach lead line to our floating line so we could get line down to the fish. This was the days before graphite rods and well designed lines. I suppose if you want to be traditional you could go back to the old fiberglass rods, make up your tapered leaders, don't use strike indicators or any modern inventions. So many of the newer additions to the equipment of fly fishing has made it so much easier to catch fish. Also, when I read some of the old books about the N. Umpqua and Rogue and see all those dead fish lining the river banks, is that a tradition we want to go back to. I guess I'm confused about these traditions. So many folks in my generation who were raised in the poorer economic times of the 40's and 50's don't understand why I catch and release. Catch and Release for the most part is fairly new (the last 20 years or so). So when you talk about traditions just what are we talking about.
    I believe the traditions we need to enforce are: keep the enviroment clean, be kind and considerate to other fishmen, obey the laws to best of your ability, and enjoy the wonderful experience of fly fishing and being a part of nature.

K.

6. stokes

stokes Guest

This sentence exemplifies to me the common complaint of fly fishermen acting like elitists.
    Mac may have been being rhetorical rather than expressing it, but it stood out like neon to me.

We can't even stay off our own backs!

I catch fish on the swing, AND nymphing. I get skunked doing both as well.

To all those look down their nose at nymphing:

If you don't nymph for those reasons, I can respect that. I understand where you are coming from. The same can be said for fishing subsurface for trout instead of strictly dry.

If you feel you need to vocalize your dislike for the way I fish, well....it must be tough being as golden as you are. Perhaps you could use all that activist energy for something useful.

Tell me about it on the river and I'll be compelled to tell you in no uncertain terms where you can go fish. It's hot there.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

It's ALMOST amusing that this stuff comes up as often as it does. It may have just been a simple question/thought for us all to ponder but it does make a guy just want to :beathead: .....

Can you imagine the direction a gear fishing thread could go if they were to bicker about each other's preferred method of fishing.

Spoon vs spinner, floats and bait or jig, pulling plugs, side drifting, bottom bouncing, bait divers, etc. Now THAT would be some interesting stuff.:ray1:

Tradition is what it is. I respect those that came before me in the pursuit of what I consider the greatest challenge in flyfishing. Are they any better than me because they used what to them was top of the line gear and to me would be garbage. NO.

Tradition is the 15 or so years I've spent chasing fish all over the place with some good friends.
    In the end we are just fishermen that fish with a certain type of gear. Nothing more and nothing less.

8. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    who says one way of fishing for steel is better then another? sure things have changed since way back when and there are a few more different ways of fishing now, but are you saying that had someone back in the 50's had thought of using a strike indicator that they woulnd've because it wasn't traditional then? i would think that if a different way had been thought of it would have been utilized. steelheadjunky, you say that if you can't detect a strike without and indicator then so be it, the fish one, well i say if i can find an ethical and legal way of beating the fish then good on me. i do agree that steelheading or any other fishing is not about numbers, hell i have never caught a steelhead fly fishing but i continue to go just because i love fly fishing and steelhead seem to me to be the ultimate adversary, but if i can get a little advantage with using a strike indicator then i will.

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Fishing, not just steelheading, is a journey and that is what it is all about. I'm one of the old timers who killed wild steelhead back in the days when others did so as well. We also released steelhead, particularly toward the end of December when we only had one of our annual 24 punches left to expend by year's end. We've all learned about releasing steelhead but even in that we are harvesting via the percentage of loss that occurs during the c&r seasons.
    It seems to me that the best thing to do with the swinger/nympher argument is to hang it on the wall and forget about it, tradition not withstanding (you can look up "tradition" in Webster's Collegiate Dictionary).
    There is an outstanding article in the latest Sporting Classics by Todd Tanner on "The Five Stages of Fly Fishing". Stage One is to catch a fish. Stage Two is to catch a lot of fish. Stage Three is catching "big" fish. Stage Four is to seek greater challenges. Stage Five is non-goal oriented Zen-like fly fishing. Perhaps we make it through all the stages, or remain in just one of the five. Most of us I believe, like Tanner writes, range back and forth through the five stages during our fishing careers. I know that I've been back and forth through all the stages and am presently fishing at Stage Three.
    In Stage Three. like all other of the five stages, I will continue to swing my fly through steelhead water. The primary reason is that I don't enjoy casting a fly line with a bobber attached to it. If I should choose to employ a bobber I believe that I'd be better served to employ a Canadian-style center pin outfit and really be able to sling that float out there.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

10. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    It doesn't get any truer than thatiagree

11. Keith Hixson

P.T.

Now that would be funny. Non fly fishermen bickering about methods and the ethics of certain methods.
    Maybe they are better balanced emotionally than us fly fishers.:D

This elitist attitude of some flyfishermen makes me think these folks have some serious emotional problems.
    P.T. you are right on.

K.

12. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Maybe we can get Chris to start a new "Rant" section, it's pretty commonplace, isn't it?:confused:

I would rant too, but I think Zen summed up my feelings. Since when is fishing supposed to be religeous? I'll obey state law, but I won't obey legalistic "traditionalism," I can enjoy myself on the river without it.:cool:

Des

13. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just a comparison - i started snowboarding in '86' when on a big mountain like mt. baker we'd only see maybe 5 snowboarders all day and most of them were burton wood split tail boards. is someone gonna tell me i should respect that tradition and snowboard on nothing but wooden split tailed boards and if i don't i am ruining/disrespecting snowboarding?

14. Keith Hixson

Let's all watch "Fiddler on the Roof", then we'll understand TRADITION better.

K.

15. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey ibn, i don't think that you should use those eggs of yours because they were not tied with feathers, yarn or thread, therefore not truly a fly. i will take all of those off of your hands though. j/k:p

16. stokes

stokes Guest

Word! I'm going back to ski boot liners in my Sorel's secured with copious amounts of duct tape and three buckle burton high backs. We should run on down to Park City and get discriminated against like old times. Tradition!!!!

17. wolverine

wolverine Member

Geez, I must have 1 foot in the fires of H**L!!! I use every tactic and technique in my quiver when I go fishing. Except using guts, well I do back bounce guts/eggs for spring chinook. Fishing is fishing. If they want a fly great. if they want a spoon, spinner, or pink worm instead, thats great too. I grew up a Colonel's kid military brat and fished all over the planet. I've killed, and released fish everywhere i went. Still do today. I do eat fish! Today in the NW its planter trout, hatchery steelhead, salmon, or spiny rays. Tradition? Fishing itself is tradition. Do I spend all day casting and just be satisfied in making pretty casts? Not a chance. I'm always out there trying to catch the biggest fish in the pond, creek, lake,river, or bay. And lots of them! Flame on....

18. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    hmmmmm.....I love NYMPHING...

19. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    it is kind funny/interesting, and usually much more good-natured than flyfishing flame wars. I fish with some wacky, crazy, fun-loving bait/plug buds who think flyfishermen are a bunch of stuck-up tight-assed posers.......they give me crap all the time about my "fag sticks". They will argue with each other like drunken sailors, but then laugh about it. Call each other "a boondogging p*ssy" or a "plug pulling boat whore" but it's all in good fun. Some flyfishermen get their man-panties in WAY too tight of a bundle over techniques. Like you said, it's just fishing.

Man oh man, fish how YOU want to fish, within the law :beer2:

I think that overall, flyfishermen are becoming more accepting of new techniques than even 3 or 4 years ago. I use beads at times and I've been called a flosser for it. I've also skated a dry in the dead of winter when I had no prayer of a hookup just because I wanted to cast a floating line for fun....for me it's all about fun. I don't work in the FF industry so I don't have the emotional/financial/ego stake some people do. As long as there is a cold beer at the end of the day, who gives a pile of doodoo what someone else dangles on their tippet? :rofl:

20. Donald Johnson

Donald Johnson cuttman

I do respect those steelhead flyfishing pioneers who have gone on before us, however I do not feel compelled to fish exactly as they did. One of the best things about our sport are the opportunities to be innovative. I am concerned when we accuse good anglers as being "bad". The future of our fisheries depends on us understanding where the real problems lie and working together to solve them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.