Does WDFW hate Rattlesnake Lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Rob Hardman, May 4, 2014.

1. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Sure seems like it's getting neglected on catchable plants these last few years.
    This year may be going to be better than last. One stock so far with 2400.
    2013: 700
    2012: 2900
    2011: 3000
    2010: 6500
    2009: 10000
    2008: 11000
    2007: 13000
    Anyone have any insight? I realize there have been budget issues, so I checked out some of the other King Co lakes as well. Here's a sampling:
    Lake Desire has had a decent increase in stocking numbers the last four years.
    Beaver Lake has also gone up.
    Meridian has maintained, with a bump last year up to about 20000.
    Can't find any other C&R lakes in King Co to compare to.
  2. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Oh wait. May have answered my own question. In what year did RSL go to C&R? Is that when the sharp decline started?
  3. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    Rob
    You also have to remember they are putting 204 trips sometime in May and each winter they stock fingerlings in Nov 2013 (CT and RB). I think 3,000 and 7000 according to the 2014 stocking plan.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01582/wdfw01582.pdf

Mark
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Good point, Mark. I only looked at catchable plants, not fry. Thanks for pointing that out.
  5. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    You just answered your first question. The goal is to have a fishery with fewer but much larger fish, much like Pass. They cut the number of trips in half, it all depends on the food source and winter survival rate. I used to fish it quite a bit, not so much the last 3 years, but not because of going to C&R. Lat year I did get into a few 20" + fish in my super secret spot { stumps in the west end!}. If you want lot's of fish go to Greenlake in N.Seattle: 18,000 fish & 442 of them Trips. You will have the pleasure of fishing with half of the states population of Eastern Euorpeans....no bigotry here as I am 1/2 Russian. I grew up at Lower Woodland/Greenlake and learned how to fish there....still go back ONCE each year. If you are on a boat, the view of the track on a sunny weekend afternoon is worth the price of admission!
  6. dibling Active Member

Green Lake
    Ratings: +55 / 0

Ditto on Greenlake this time of year if you want stockies. Last night just before dark the water was blowing up with risers. Fun to watch. Unfun because i didn't have a rod on me.
  7. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Yeah...nah. I'd still rather have a 3 fish day at RSL than a 20 fish day at Greenlake. I was just bitching because just a couple years ago it was uncommon to get fewer than eight or ten at Rattlesnake, with a good day being 15-20, but last year and this year have been pretty poor. (Unless your name is Mark Yoshida ;) )
    I usually chat with whoever is there when I'm there and have been hearing the same thing.
    dibling likes this.
  8. dibling Active Member

Green Lake
    Ratings: +55 / 0

Haha fair enough. I live a couple of blocks away, so i don't mind kicking around in greenlake when i can only get out for an hour or two.