dog boots

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by seekm, Oct 30, 2007.

1. seekm

seekm chris

Media:
    Does anyone use dog boots and if so do you have any recommendations on brands/types?

I took my dogs out to the Quilomene/Whiskey Dick Wildlife Area on Sunday chasing chukar and both of them ended up with quite a few cactus spines in their foot pads. Some were pretty deep drawing blood when I pulled them out. The pups are tough and hunted fine after removal of the spines but if I can spare them the pain and the increased recovery time after the hunt I'd like to. It's kind of wierd because I've never had that problem hunting out there in the past.

I've done some research online but I think it's always good to get some first had info.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

I can only tell you to not buy the ones from the pet store or REI...they just fall off.
    also, have a video camera or at least a camera ready when you put them on the dogs the first time. it is very hilarious.

3. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

iagree
    I have two pair, different sizes, that I used to use on both my dogs. Probably even came from REI. The set for the larger would stay on ... but the little ones would fall off. Large = 100 lb Golden, Small = 55 lb Golden. The 55 lb golden was definitely way more energetic than the big dog, but I think the issue was more that the paw size / wrist size ratio was much larger on the big dog than the little one, so they could be looser on the big dog and still stay on.

So get whatever you get from some place that understands hunting / trail dogs needs, and is willing to swap out product until you find something that works.

I really do wish I had a video of their first time out with the paw shoes. :rofl:

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'll ask my son, but I think he got his from Sierra Trading Post.
    Try checking to see what the sled dog people use.

5. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    The only ones that I've found to stay on are on cabelas. They're listed as "8" neoprene dog boots" they're secured by two clasps and velcro. Actually, I used the 8" ones for the back legs and the 4" for the front legs. I found that the 8" ones are too long for the front legs.

I've used them for at least 4 years now and haven't lost a boot yet (knock on wood).

6. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Sorry, I don't know anything about where to find these boots and such, but I have a question for the people using these. Do you have a problem with your dogs overheating when they wear these? :confused:

7. Steven Mobley

Steven Mobley Member

Try using cut bike tire innertubes. Put dog's paws in, double them over and duct tape them in place around his ankles. They'll last most of the day in chuckar country. If he throws a "shoe", they're cheap to replace. This is a cheap alternative to the $20 ones offered in catalogues and works just as well.

Steve

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I saw some in the Sierra Trading Post catalog last nite.
    Check the clearance dept.

9. Kaari White

Media:
    No, never had anything like that happen. However, the main reason I put boots on my dog is snow so overheating isn't really a possibility. Snow that has hardended/softened several times will have very sharp crusty edges. It tears my dogs feet up very fast!

As frustrating as it is to take boots on and off, I think it's important to let their feet breath during the day. Any down time my dog spends in his crate is time that he won't have boots on his feet.

10. seekm

seekm chris

Media:
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

11. Captain Emo

Captain Emo Member

Your success will depend upon getting the right size/shape boot for your dog. My lab was easy. My golden won't even let them stay on.

Try Ebay for a few cheap used pairs. You might need two different sizes for the same dog. The front feet are bigger.

12. Cliff

Cliff Member

Chris,

I hunt chukar and valley quail almost exclusively in the rough, rocky terrain found in the Quilomene, LT Murray, Oak Creek, etc. I have a young English setter who is small and light on his feet, but my older Llewellin setter is a large dog and has always had problems with cut pads, especially in severe chukar country and crusted snow. After trying a succession of fabric boots I decided to give the rubber Lewis Boots a try a couple of years ago. They have made a huge difference in my Lewellin's pads, namely, no damage at all. It's a bit of a pain to put them on but well worth it. There is nothing I feel worse about than seeing my dog hurt and in pain after giving his all for me in the fields. Here's the link to the boots: http://www.gundogsupply.com/-950-.html

There used to be an online tutorial for fitting taping the boots on but the link is no longer valid.
    Here's a link from a hunting dog thread that helps to explain the process: http://www.pointinglabs.com/build/objects/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=6873 - you must scan down through the thread to see the two or three posted messages on the methods used to fit the boots to your dog.

There are also two products called Tuff-Foot and one called Blue-something-or-other that is applied to the pads to toughen them up. The Tuff Foot seems to work ok, but it gets tiresome applying it over time.

Lastly, I always carry a tube (or spray bottle) of EMT Gel. This stuff is simply amazing. I've had my dogs injure their pads or cut their chests on barbed wire and if you rub some of this goo on the wounds (after irrigating it) it immediately starts clotting the blood and actually begins the healing process. Sounds almost too good to be true, but it works as advertised. Link: http://emtgel.com/
    You can google it up and find it at a variety of gun dogs sites.

Good luck,
    Cliff

13. Kaari White

Media:
    I second the recomendation for EMT Gel. I won't go hunting with my dog without it.

I've tried the tuff foot stuff and can't tell the difference before/after other than my dog has blue feet after. The only thing that has worked for my dog to toughen up his feet is to condition in pre-season. Training him on gravel seems to work.

14. seekm

seekm chris

Media:
    Thanks for the info. I'll definetly look into the EMT Gel.