dog fish on the fly??

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by WaFlyCaster, Jan 16, 2006.

1. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    any one ever gotten a dog fish on the fly? i know you guys fish for lings, rockfish and such out at neah bay with the shooting heads and stuff...but anyone ever try for them in the sound and hook into dog fish? I know the concentration is much higher for dogfish in sound than out at neah bay...

or a better question while out on the coast..any of you hook into blue sharks on the fly while fishing for silvers or kings? ive heard of people finding schools of blue sharks off of west port and neah bay like 8 miles out or more... just wondering if any of the fly guys ever hooked em... seems like catching 5 foot blues would be pretty fun on the fly rod... any thoughts/experience to this?

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I have cuaght a few dogfish while fishing baitfish patterns for coho in Puget Sound. The few have always beenby accident (they are kind of hard on the flies). It is pretty common when the amphipods and herring are on top in the early morning to have the dogfish follow and ocassional bump the fly, especially if fished on the slow side it seems that they rarely take it - I'm sure that some scent would result in more takes but I'm happy avoiding them.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

i know some guys that have had good success in hood canal a few years ago.
    -Tom

4. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I've never tried for dog fish, but I've caught plenty of blue sharks on the fly. When I was guiding in Maine I would target them in July, August, and September. I would start out the day using conventional tackle(30-50 lb. stand-up rods), but when we had a small shark (4-6 feet) come up the chum slick I'd break out the 10 weight. All you would have to do is put the fly in front of their nose and 9 times out of 10 they would eat it. For a real good time I'd throw on a big popper on watch my sports freak out when the sharks would accelerate & inhale the fly. If you get the chance to fish for them I would highly recommend it.
    Sharks are by far my favorite fish to observe in the water, but unfortunately in the past 10 years the long line boats have taken their toll on shark populations on the East Coast. In 1994 when I first started fishing for them it wasn't uncommon to land 30-40 sharks in a day, or until your arms fell off, but the last summer I fished for them (2002) it was considered a banner day to get 6!
    I was also involved with the National Marine Fisheries Service Shark Tagging Program. I had sharks that I originally tagged in the Gulf of Maine that were recaptured off the coast of Cuba & the Azores.
    A link to the NMFS Tagging Program...
    http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/intro.html

5. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    I became very interested in these fish this year, and posted a few non-fly-caught ones in my gallery.

Did you know that their numbers have plummetted by 5/6 in the past ten years? Only 1/6 of the dog sharks in puget sound that were here 10 years ago are here now!

As I understand it, there are two reasons for the decline, both harvest related:

1. Angler abuse / mutilation: people who catch them and mutilate them, then release them. Abhorrant behavior. If you hear of someone doing this, encourage them to stop.

2. Commercial overfishing. With population collapse in other fisheries, a commercial market emerged on these fish, and they became one of the primary sources for fish n' chips in England.

The Seafood Watch program (Monterrey Bay Aquarium: http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_regional.aspx?region_id=0 suggests responsible seafood eating / purchase options, listed them in the "red" category, or "avoid" due to health of the fish stock, and elevated mercury levels.

See their reasoning here: http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?fid=188

"...Dogfish off the coast of Washington and British Columbia are among the longest living sharks known...In summary, dogfish are in trouble. We recommend you avoid all dogfish sharks except those caught in British Columbia using bottom longlines..."

I have targeted them on a catch-and-release basis using the fly, and have not yet been successful, but I think that with a little more energy, I could probably get one. I won't target them with bait, because I wouldn't want to risk killing one, given their rapidly declining population. Personally, I think it's interesting to catch many different species, but I know lots of folks think these guys aren't worth much.

As for me, I'm disappointed any time our managers would allow a species to collapse.

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Mark Mandell and I were fishing with Captain Keith Robbins some years back near Skagit Head during a surface melee of dogfish feeding on herring. The predators were all over the surface and the water around Keith's boat was filled with drifting herring scales. Mark tossed out one of his Calamardo patterns, let it sink down several feet and upon starting his retrieve had the fly hammered by what turned out to be a big dogfish.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    While she was not using a fly rod at the time. Last Sept or so Amie was using a Slump Buster fly and a hand line while fishing next to kids who were on the dock using herring. She landed 2 and lost a couple others untill one took off with the fly. No other fly in the box seem to work as well at the time. She wanted to use the fly rod but the were strung up with brand new Rio Striper lines and I was not going to let her risk one of those small sharks tearing up the new line and ruining our Salmon chasing the next morning around South Sound.

8. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    I had one grab a clouser last summer fishing off the beach, the bait were in close with silvers and birds feeding, I cast and on the 3rd strip I got a pretty good tug set the hook and had a good fight for about 10 seconds or so, it even jumped once but other than some head shaking it pretty much gave up and was just dead weight, still pretty cool, it was about 3' long really neat looking fish.
    tony

9. TomB

TomB Active Member

nice post teeg- i should have mentioned that they should be c&r'd.
    -T

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I dont target them but catch a few each year, especially when they are cruising the beaches during salmon season. They can get in shallow, with fins in the air. I see people kicking them, ccutting them with knives etc...stupidity. They are in decline in Puget Sound and should not be harrassed or wasted. Some of them can be pretty hefty, but they dont fight the way that the Atlantic Blackfin Sharks do, and they dont seem as mean.

11. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    Just be sure after you release one, cut your line off and retie. The abrasiveness of their skin can do a number on your line, dont want to lose a silver because of that!

12. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

I once got one on a fly near Pt. Defiance trolling with flies. Unfortunately, I too, was once young and stupid and did some horrific things to these fish when as a teenager bottom fishing off Normandy Park in the 60s. It makes me shudder to think how cruel we were. Suffice to say I would NEVER do that again. I'm sure I'm still paying karmically for this.
    p.s. I'm new to this wonderful website. I've been reading it for several weeks now and getting some great insights. This is my first post.

13. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    Yeah about the declining dog fish populations, we studied them a bit in my fisheries management class and read alot of those articles... the dog fish doesnt become sexually mature until a very very late age ...i beleive it was 35-70 years of age...(it was awhile ago i read this) but yeah its horrible how people mutilate them... also in my fisheries management class we did a population survey and long lined a stretch of a about a half mile in burrows bay (near anacortes) and in that area we caught. released and tagged dorsal fins of about 35 or so dogfish...it was a fun experience... watch out for those things spines on the back of their tail though!

14. South Sound

South Sound Member

NRAndrew (Nick) and I were fishing for searuns and all of a sudden his 5wt rod was bent in half. He was yelling for me to get my line out of the water. HE HAD A SILVER ON. Maybe even a KING. "GET YOUR LINE OUT, YOU ARE GOING TO LOOSE THIS FOR ME". So I got my line out and the net in hand. Ready to see this golith. Finally the erie eyes 10lbs of dog fish came to the surface. The look on his face would have been a perfect thank you card for the present that you really did not want. I laughed so damn hard and Nick was pissed. It was a good fight, but the end results made him almost sick. You will have to ask him about it or give him a hard time, either way.