Dog Hair?????

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Trout Master, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Trout Master Active Member

Brushed out my 10 mo old yellow lab yesterday and got some really fine fur that almost cream color. Is it good to use as dubbing???? Have other done this? Thanks
  2. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Toss it in a coffe grinder for a bit and try dubbing with it. :thumb: People have used wierder stuff off of wierder animals for dubbing.
  3. MikeT Member

Hillsboro, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Every March when she's shedding I brush and comb my lab. I've got a big bag of the hair and it makes an outstanding dark brown/near-black dubbing.
    I wash it in a big mixing bowl of soapy water, rinse it in a tea strainer under the faucet, then dry and bag. No need to chop it in a blender.
    Know someone with a lab? Offer to give it a good brush and comb job (and be sure to bring along a couple large ziplock bags).
  4. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Excellent dubbing...Mike T is right on the money here. Back before packaged dubbing became widespread, a tyer named Polly Rosborough (read his book TYing and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs if you can find it) suggested that a good source of dubbing was the local pet groomers. If I remember correctly, he got a lot of his dubbing there. Dog hair dyes well, as I recall, and with a yellow Lab, you've got a more tying material than you're likely to use in a lifetime.
  5. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Don't labs have a double layer coat? that is why, I mentioned the coffee grinder. I had to use one with my German Shepherd, otherwise the wirey outer hair made it very difficult to spin an even rope.
  6. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    I'm trying to remember if I ever had a problem using hair from my Lab. I don't recall it, but then I tend to prefer buggy looking dubbing anyway. As an example, I don't pull out the guard hair from mink or muskrat. I really don't recall if the longer guard hairs on a Lab were problematic.

Now, if you're looking for really smooth dubbing, get a cat. Short-haired cats have really fine dubbing fur.
  7. Cruncher -

Marquette Park Lagoon
    Ratings: +3 / 3
    Whenever I need to tie some black stones, I call over the poochie.

I can fill up a baggie every single day he sheds so much. Good dubbing for sure.
  8. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    All fur is hair but all hair isn't fur. Point being that dog hair doesn't work as dubbing.
  9. Trout Master Active Member

Thanks for the input. The FUR is really fine stuff from his hind legs. Super soft and really fine... And the dog is right now a shedding machine. Thanks again.:thumb:
  10. Tarkin Member

Burger King
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I recently heard from a shop owner that the smell on dog fur scares the fish....
    Not sure, but it's enough to keep my aussie from a bad haircut.
  11. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    I recently heard from a California orange farmer that Florida oranges dont make very good OJ

:rofl:

I find it hard to believe that Polar Bear and Seal Fur do not put fish down but yellow lab fur will. :rofl: Is must be a deeply bred fear steming from millions of years of being licked to death.
  12. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  13. Trout Master Active Member

No not new just sloooooooooooooow.
  14. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    My first hand tied fly that took a steelhead was winged with hair from our shepherd/wolf mix.
  15. Tarkin Member

Burger King
    There you go then, myth dispelled.
    TM, not slooooow, just passing on info..... no need for that.
  16. Trout Master Active Member

I said I was slow:thumb:
  17. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    If you want to come over and vacuum I can set you up with brown dubbing.
  18. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i brush my cat with a regular hair comb, i dont wash it or bag it because she is always shedding so i only take what i need, it really dont make buggie style dubbing but i dot chop it at all. i would experiment with every kind of hair you can so you can find that one perfect hair. i really like to hunt so i have a lot of fur that ive killed. my favorite is a pine squirrel, that even comes before rabbbit
  19. Tarkin Member

Burger King
    Got it... :)

Interesting point though about the polar bear hair not causing some rejection among fish, or almost any other animal hair that's used. You'd think that (other than bananas) there would be an instinctual impulse to aviod anything like that. Maybe the fur loses most of it's scent by the time it's wrapped into a fly.
  20. CM_Stewart Member

New York, NY
    One of the original ingredients of the Tup's Indispensable, which has to be one of the most famous dubbing blends of all time, is hair from a yellow cocker spaniel.