Dogs in Camp

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Trapper Badovinac, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +615 / 0
    Last weekend I was in the high country. One of the wrangler-guides brought his two Australian Shepherds. I'm always very cautious about dogs I don't know. These two were great with the stock, didn't bark, and stayed out of the way when they needed to.

When we got to camp it was a mess. Heavy snow had crushed two wall tents and it was a lot of work. I went to bed exhausted.

It was rain mixed with snow that night and about an hour after I hit the rack I sensed something was in the tent with me. I could just make out something. I turned on my light and here was this dog, wet, cold and looking pretty unsure about how I would react.

I called him over and petted him and he started wagging his tail. I then took my chaps and threw them on the ground and pulled him onto them to lay down. He snuggled into them and we both slept really well.

We are now friends for life . . .

[IMG]

[IMG]

Trapper
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    Good on you, Trapper! Any friend of a dog, is a friend of mine! (and you know my dog...)
    Dick
    Eyejuggler and constructeur like this.
  3. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Dick, I remember your dog on The Creek. I also remember my friend Jim wanting to take your dog home with him.

I've had dogs and I'm seriously thinking about finding another canine companion as I'm nearly over the loss of my old 4-legged friend.

This one reminded me of how much I'm missing . . .

Trapper
  4. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    Good for you. I know it takes time to be ready for a new one (the two in my avatar both died in 2008; it took 2 years before we were ready to adopt another). You will know when you are ready.

Dick
  5. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    Great story! I love our four legged kids, oh what we will do for them. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    I'm not impressed with a guy who doesn't take time to ensure his dog's well-cared for, warm and safe, especially in bad weather. Good job for doing this, Trapper! Of course, I don't know how the dog found itself outside his tent-I assume the guide was inside one-but if I were the outfitter, it would be the guide's last trip with my outfit.
    Jim Ficklin, dfl and Eyejuggler like this.
  7. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Gus, (the dog) doesn't like crowds and he choses who he befriends. For some reason he chose me and it's likely it's because I was in a tent by myself as the rest of the young guys were talking in the other tent, he passed on the crowd and slipped under the wall tent sod cloth.

After two weeks cooking in this backcountry camp Gus returned with two guides to pack me and my kitchen out. When he saw me he came right to me and I petted him. He didn't get to sleep with me in my tent this time though as we packed up my kitchen and hit the trail in the dark and during near blizzard conditions.

It's nice to use a toilet when I don't have to first scrape the ice off the seat . . .

Trapper
  8. Shapp Active Member

Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    [IMG]

Star the New Shelter Dog
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Barley
    [IMG]

[IMG]

RIP Simon (14 year companion)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Camping with out the dogs is like camping without beer, It don't make much sense!
  9. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Love those pics Shapp!

This one is where it's at tho! Love it!
    Alex MacDonald and Billy McFly like this.
  10. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    snuggle the puppy dogs! One of ours sleeps on our bed every night!
  11. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    I just wanted to clarify this is not my pic, the snuggly dog pic is of shapps dog that I really liked. :)