Doll Eyes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jabseattle, Nov 20, 2003.

1. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Need help finding doll eyes in bulk. I have hit a couple local craft stores but can only find small white doll eyes.

I'm looking to purchase larger eyes (white, red and prism eyes). I've purchased some through Cabela's before but I'm looking for local places where hopefully they will be a little cheaper. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.:dunno

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Do you mean eyes that rattle, or solid plastic or glass? For solid eyes check out taxidermy supply houses. I used to tie saltwater commercially, and never did find a good consistent supply of solid eyes on the cheap...

3. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Thanks Philster. Yes I prefer solid eyes and solid plastic eyes.

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Doll eyes, the kind that rattle, used to be available at the craft shop at Pike Place Market in several sizes. They are probably available at most other craft shops as well. All I've seen are white or yellow backgrounds on these flies. When you glue them onto a fly run a bead of Softex (or something similar) around the outer edges. This will keep serious fish like largemouth or striped bass from knocking them off with big hits.
    Good fishing.
    Les Johnson