Donating flies to kids?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Longs for Cutts, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    I've got a bunch of old flies that I simply will never use again. Some are a little beat up, but would probably be okay for a kid just starting out. Any idea where I can donate them?

2. RockFly

RockFly Rock Hound

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You can donate them to Josh Zarling on this board. He runs a flyclub at his high school. I know I try to send extra flies, tying supplies, and other misc. stuff when I can.

4. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I second Jerry's idea with supporting Josh. So Josh, what else is it that the club needs these days?

Chris

5. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Great post Wally. I'm in the same predicament but never considered how I might actually get rid of them. My pet patterns seem to change every couple of years and I constantly struggle with those space-takers in my boxes that simply don't get fished. I'm sure they'd catch fish, it's just that they don't look pretty enough in my box. Call me weird.

Post that address Josh and I'm good for at least a 100 flies (if not more).

6. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:

yep, me to.

7. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    I have an entire thread box full of "reserve flies." About a third are things like spare salmonflies (as in the insect, not the fish), but there are also weird things I picked up or tied back in the day. I went through a streamer phase when I was about 13, for example, and bought a whole bunch of eastern-style streamers like Black Ghosts, etc., which though probably useful just can't stand up against the zonkers, sculpins, and buggers that fill my box these days...

Scott:
    I finally finished grading my latest round of papers, and tomorrow I'm going to burn the midnight oil on one of my own papers. It's remotely possible I'll finish a draft on Friday and have it done for good over the weekend. If so, I might be able to float the day after Thanksgiving. This weekend I'll probably only have time to hit the Nooksack for a couple hours one day, assuming it's clear enough.

8. South Sound

South Sound Member

You have no idea how happy the kids will be. So far we have been fishing in the salt and lakes. We are about to start building rods so we have enough when we go out fishing. We are going to use the rod building tools through Northwest Angler and we ultimately wanted to tie flies but we did not have enough materials, tools, or vices. Anything would help. Thanks so much for any assistance you can give.
    Thank you all so much.

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    you could donate them to Alaska fly fishers, one guy Benny gives out so many of his flies to kids, and rarely anybody else, if you want send em up here I'll cover postage and make sure they get in good hands

10. 7FLY

7FLY Rob Novak

Hey Josh i am up in lake stevens, i have a father in law who ran a outdoor store years ago in Montana. Any way he gave me about 15 boxes of rod building thread, i have some interesting colors, but i would be glad to donate a few boxes to you if you would like.

11. South Sound

South Sound Member

Thank would be great. I can not thank you guys enough. Just let me know if you ever need any favors that I can help with.

12. South Sound

South Sound Member

Scott,
    I can not thank you enough for the flies. They were amazing and extremely well tied. This makes me think that I have to get on the ball with my tying skills. It is nice to have a bunch of flies and stuff to give the kids to use. Most of the time I just give them my stuff, which usually means that I will not see it again because for some reasons fly fishers that are learning first learn on underwater stumps posing as fish or trees posing as artifical casting room. Thanks again and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with anything.

13. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

You're Most Welcome

The pleasure was all mine Josh. I enjoy tying for its zen-like qualities as much, if not more than fly fishing itself. That I could share some of my time and work with such a worthy cause is but a bonus. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and the energy that you invest in the high school fishing club. I am just 5 days away from completing my student teaching in Seattle and soon to be certified to teach primary. Of all the things I have come to realize so far in this experience, teaching our children to respect, appreciate, and put back into the environment is beyond value. My students are so receptive to learning about the rivers, fish, and wildlife around us, though most see very little of these things in their urban niche. Though teaching is far more than a forum for my own private agenda, I can't help but hope that by promoting positive attitudes about the environment today, we'll enjoy a new generation of thinking people who are willing to fight for it when we're all too old to wade.

Enjoy the flies. I'd love to hear of any first fish caught on them.

Scott

14. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Josh:

I'll get my own batch out to you next week. I've been up to my eyes in schoolwork, and haven't even had time to fish in three weeks. I'm down to my last 2 papers, the shortest ones, so next week I should actually have some of that magic thing called "leisure."

15. South Sound

South Sound Member

Sounds like you are at WWU. Great School.

16. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Yeah, I'm at WWU. I AM getting my master's. I've been writing so much that I have a slight case of tendonitis in my left arm and a not-so-slight case in my left.

The score:
    1 20 page paper
    2 10 page papers
    1 six page paper
    2 4 page papers

All written from the Monday before Thanksgiving until this coming Monday. I did/will do 2-3 drafts of each, and I usually cut/change 50% out of my first draft and 20% out of my second. The stress level is high, to say the least.

17. South Sound

South Sound Member

Interesting

18. South Sound

South Sound Member

Mike,
    Thank you so much for the help. I am looking forward to having the students catch fish.

19. South Sound

South Sound Member

Thank you Cameron for your generous donation to the club. The flies were very well done and interesting regarding the orgin to say the least.