Dont forget to buy a new license!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Troutrageous, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Just a friendly reminder, hoping to keep you all ticketless. I know a few of you got burned last year hitting lakes without remembering to get the new license. The 2012-2013 ones expired March 31st. (sorry if someone already posted this, but I scanned new and didn't see it.)
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Yeah, I have the new license but I forgot that last year I purchased my Discover Pass on March 28, not April 1 so it expired 3/28/13.

After church yesterday the wife and I packed up a picnic lunch and drove to Fort Flagler SP to enjoy the sunshine (and for me to check out the beaches and water up there!). I did purchase a new Discover Pass but for some reason was thinking it started on April 1 just like my fish license. So of course I left it at home and realized when we got to Flagler that the pass in the car was expired. The wife said "Oh just hang it up, it's only been 2 days expired." I decided not to chance it and purchased a one-day pass for $10.

Good move on my part as while we were eating lunch we could see a ranger issuing citations for no or expired passes!

I didn't really feel all that bad about paying the $10 as just that morning I was reading a newspaper article about the budget woes of our state park system. In the current biennium, Washington state's support for parks is $17.2 million, down from $94.3 million in 2007-09 (The state was hoping fees such as the Discover Pass would make up the difference)! Permanent staff has been cut almost 35% since 2009 and 66 of 189 full-time rangers have been relegated to seasonal. There's no other state which relies as heavily on user fees to fund parks and this funding model is failing miserably.
    The Dude and Krusty like this.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    OK. I'm not in the mood for acting out any "civil disobedience" fantasies. Right after I log out, I'm headed to Grayland Hardware to get mine! Best investment I can think of!
  4. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
    I remembered....but thanks for the reminder anyway. For the past several years I've been getting checked at least once a season (maybe I'm getting more shifty looking as I grow older?) and would have been ashamed to be cited for not having one.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Yeah, the "tough guy" (smart ass really) in me would like to say f. no, don't need no stinking license. But, I'm a player and don't mind paying my way. They're hurting in spite of bad management. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    And also to turn in your salmon catch cards by Apr 30th...
  7. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    Just dropped the 54 bones at ed's surplus for the fishing license and another 35 for the discover pass two days later because I forgot all about the Damn Discover Pass! :(
  8. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Thanks, Picked mine up an hour ago at Gregs.
  9. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Yup, just mailed mine in today. Just wish it was a bit more full!! ;)
  10. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Tru dat...only 15 reported here. My goal is to double it this year.
  11. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Thanks for the warning this morning Eric, you probably saved me a ticket haha!
  12. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    Got it a few days ago. Best $128 I could spend.
    Old Man likes this.
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Thanks for the reminder. I sent in the punchcards, but overlooked the license dates. I guess I will break down and buy the ^%$&( Discover Pass. I wouldn't mind the fee but I hate being jerked around by the
    legislature. I can't help but believe that we could do a better job of managing the money we have, but that is another story. Thanks for the heads up and my rant is over.
  14. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    New license (fishing, fresh and salt with endorsments + small game) with all tags (turkey) and catch record card and parking and discoiver pass = 180.00++.
    Ouch, but good for the year....
  15. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    So a little clarification on the difference between the Vehicle Access Pass and the Discovery Pass. I read the following:

A Discover Pass or Vehicle Access Pass is REQUIRED on all recreation sites owned by WDFW. Hunters, fishers, and trappers get a Vehicle Access Pass without additional cost, as part of their first annual license purchase excluding the annual shellfish license. Annual and One-day Discover Passes may be purchased separately.

So my confusion is, if I get a Vehicle access Pass with my license, which I have been gettting over the years, what additionally does the Discovery Pass provide?

Thanks. :confused:
  16. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    The Vehicle Access Pass only gives you access to selected and limited WDFW wildlife areas and water access sites. It doesn't provide access to state parks, including the parking lot at Pass Lake for example. If you have the Discover Pass, you will likely never hang your WDFW access pass again.

In the not that distant past, start parks were free, so the WDFW pass provided added value and had more meaning. If you have the Discover Pass it covers everywhere that the Vehicle Access pass covers plus most other (state) places.

You might check this out for more info:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/
    Dr Bob likes this.
  17. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Thanks Darryl. That is helpful.

Dr Bob
  18. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Yeah, and since you only get one yellow pass, make a copy, get it plastisized (sp?) at Staples, and put one in each of your cars instead of moving it from one car to the other.
  19. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Thanks for the reminder. New license ordered
  20. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    I think the folks that think the license and associated passes are such a good deal should write a check to the Gov for a few thousand, just to make sure they are paying their fair share.