Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Don't miss this!!

NFR 
1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Flyborg 
#1 ·
#5 ·
$230,000 for seeds! That is the real tragedy here. You know that those farmers can't retain a portion of their seeds for replanting the next year? The seeds themselves are protected by patents and one major producer has sued farmers and won for planting their own seeds.

#7 ·
I saw that special on this subject a year or so ago and had no idea Monsanto (I think that was the company?) basically throttles the seed industry and effectively makes it impossible for growers not using their genetically developed seed to compete. You know, regardless of which side of the political isle you stand, I think we'd all agree that assuring our food sources largely remains domestically produced is preferred to relying on other countries for what's in our pantries. I don't knock companies like Monsanto from developing new ways to increase yields, but when they effectively ruin independents with punitive dealings, that bullshit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.