Doral, FL 5/19-27

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by freestoneangler, Dec 14, 2013.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Last time I had business in FL was Cape Canaveral and managed to worked in a two day guided fly trip in Merritt Island -- hooking Red-fish and Speckled Trout in view of the launch pads is cool and odd at the same time. Will be there again mid May and trying to decide what to do for a fishing trip. I've done the Keys some years ago and subsequent to that canal fishing around Ft. Lauderdale for Peacock Bass and a day in Sawgrass National Park for Florida Bass.

I hear Biscayne Bay has some great fishing and, of course the Everglades is an option. If anyone on the forum has some experience in the area (maybe a recent Floridian transplant), I'd welcome some recommendations.

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0
    Mid-May is prime time for adult migratory tarpon. Maybe drive down to Islamorada? I'll be fishing the Gulf side the week before your trip.
    fish-on likes this.
  3. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Yes, I planned the Key West trip some years about the same time (stayed on Marathon Key with Grey Ghost Outfitters) and had two on blind casting under 7 mile bridge. Did not bring either to hand, but holy shit what an adrenaline rush! Also caught baby tarpon in a sheltered back bay and brought a few Bone fish to hand (also incredible). Stood on the boat deck and had them in a daisy chain feed right within casting distance twice and could not get them to take...knee's knocking and fumbling around like a freshman at a high school dance watching what looked like 1955 Buick Bel-Aire chrome fenders circle me :eek:.

Heading down to the Keys is an option, but I'm also interested in some back country venue... lots of shots at smaller tarpon, snook, etc. The big brutes are cool, but they are also a lot of work...particularly on the open water.
  4. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Capt Dino (Only on a Fly) can get you just offshore of Jupiter for false albacore and king mackerel at that time. He can also find some very big snook (Jupiter is way better on average for snook than my many trips to the Everglades) but it's not miles from the nearest road like in the Everglades. Docklight snooking is spectacular sightfishing and much cooler than fishing during the day.

Docklight tarpon in Miami with Capt Bob LeMay was a blast too the one time I tried it. He also does Everglades backcountry trips. Feel free to PM me for more info.
    Irafly likes this.
  5. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I can vouch for docklight snooking being pretty cool.
  6. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0

DimeBrite is right. Tarpon will be your main target that time of the year. It's about about peak around that time +/- a week or two. Biscayne bay and the area around the bridges will be the most popular area during that time. Don't discount Fort Lauderdale though, They have their fair share of those fish. Sailfish are also happening around that time. They can be had as close as a few hundred yards off the beach in Ft Lauderdale. Jacks are almost year round, they ply the channels and canals in port everglades although they're hard to fly fish unless you're on a boat.

Good luck

John
  7. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Right area for sailfish but IMHO the timing is late by a couple of months. Winter is sailfish season in South Florida and catching one on a fly is a lot of luck. They are around in the summer but not typically targeted by even the bait fishermen then.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2013/11/13/fly-fishing-sailfish-florida/

May is a good time to target dolphin though!
  8. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0