Double and Treble hooks--Why aren't they used?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Rolfe, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I've often wondered this, and the shank/tube thread reminded me of this.

It seems like double and treble hooks are at least somewhat common in the Atlantic Salmon fishing world. I feel like I see a fair number of flies tied on them, a good number of which have been repurposed for steelhead fishing out here in the PNW.

So why is it that we have had a lot of the fly styles work their way into steelheading (spey flies, and other Atlantic Salmon style flies), but no one seems to really use double or treble hooks? It seems like they could possibly help with hookups in swung flies. I suppose it is possible that it could make unhooking a fish more difficult--but at the same time I would imagine with swung flies you'd still get a hookup in the lip the majority of the time and so if it is properly debarbed that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, just a random thought I've had. I wondered if anyone had any opinions to share. I think some of those double shank hooks could make some really nice looking flies.

Jason

2. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

Fish mortality. Even debarbed, more hooks equates to more potential damage, and more time unhooking. Given that hatchery fish and protected native fish may be intermingled in the same river, I think the rule is designed to protect the fish over hookups.

I may be wrong, but I think that places like the great lakes tributaries in Canada anyways allow treble hooks, but the fish dynamics are different.

I also suspect that treble hooks have a history if being associated with activities such as intentional snagging. Eliminating them from the equation makes enforcement easier.

Porter, fredaevans and flybill like this.
  3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Ha. I completely forgot about the fact that the regs often require single barbless.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Because they're more expensive.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Very true and it varies from State to State, even right down to the River System. What makes it 'more interesting' is the 2014 fishing regs were printed up (give or take) in September-October for distribution as early as December. These can change at the stroke of a pen and it's your job to go on line and 'keep up.'

Oregon doesn't have many of these changes (save for our side of the Columbia River) but Washington State can be a real "Catch 22."

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

single hooks hold better

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Washington Regs don't come out until the end of April or sometimes later. The current regs cover to the end of April. Licenses expire the end of March.

Porter likes this.
  8. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    I think the black double hooks tie some of the coolest looking flies. I actually have some for ale posted int he classified section.
    I bought them for the fun of tying on them, not really for fishing. This wire, big bard, 2 hooks = ripping up some fish. Personally I would feel bad if I hooked a fish with these.
    If you know what your going to catch and your for sure going to be keeping it, then I would assume it wouldn't matter, but these hook are mean. Kinda like shooting a bird with a double barrel shotgun with both barrels at the same time. :eek:

9. Lex

Lex Active Member

Even when it is permitted for a hatchery run, fish can use the treble hook as leverage. They come unbuttoned easier than singles because of this.

10. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    The thing is that double and treble hooks can't penetrate to the bend. Because of this they cannot rotate well if more than one point connects. When you are fishing for meat in an area where barbs are allowed then they will likelyhook up better and hold better, especially with a lump of bait attached. But in barbless fisheries, it seems like the hook points would just go straight in, then straight back out.
    Another issue might be subtle takes not resulting in hookups. The pressure on a treble is divided amongst the three points. When using a single point and you slam the strip set home on a nice coho, all of the force is applied to that one spot allowing it to drive deep , pivot and hold. Think of lying on a bed of nails versus one nail.

PatrickH likes this.
  11. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Pat...you are making a strong case for the use of treble hooks...no deep penetration that can damage the fish, and most of them get away....sounds like a perfect law to increase preservation of the fish stocks, we should see it in the WDFW regs next year ;)

Pat Lat likes this.