Double Hook Setups?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jun 27, 2013.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Do any of you use double hook setups for coho fishing? I never thought about it before. It appears to be legal. Might be a good thing for those occasional missed strikes?!! Chime in.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    I used to fish double hooks on hootchies and flashers. I gave that up quickly about the time a silver was on one hook and attempted to get me on the other. I went back to singles.
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Larry,
    It is legal. I used to tandem hooks quite a bit, but not so much anymore. I tie almost everything now with just a stinger to help with short strikes.
    I just cut the front hook off. The stinger loop allows me to easily change out the hook should it get dinged.
    A single stinger hook makes it easy to release fish with less damage to them as well.
    SF
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Yeah, I do the same. Seems effective enough. I might give it a try on a few to see what I think. Was wondering if many guys use them tho. I have this thing in my mind that the stinger setup is somewhat sketchy with some strikes and I feel like it has a "hinge" effect that I swear have lost me hookups, but, maybe I'm dreaming. I'm thinking a tube setup may be a better arrangement with better hookups.
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    i use a stinger hook but stopped fishing double hook rigs for coho because of the damage they cause. trolling hoochies, i would have more bleeders and mangled fish in one day than an entire season of single hook flies (including ones tied on stingers).

imo, there is no reason to have the front hook in any double hook rig.

having fish not get hooked is part of the game, and i don't think two hooks result in any more fish than a single stinger.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Pattick Member

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Sometimes I switch to a tandem setup when there is salad floating around in the water. The first hook down the leader will catch a lot of it and keep the second hook a bit cleaner.

Other than that situation I mostly stick to a single hook setup.