"Double Whammy" Custom Fly Bench

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jon Williams, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Jon Williams Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm new to the area and forum. I noticed a few of you post pictures of your fly tying benches so I thought I'd share these pics of my new tying bench.

During the storm (formally known as the "Double Whammy" storm), I was part of the restoration crew (electric) and was fortunate enough to come across a piece of a 75 year old pine tree that had been blown down in Medina.

Long story short, I cut a slice of the stump I brought home and 20 hours of sanding, routering, and cutting later, whalla!!

It's definetely NOT a portable bench, but it IS one of a kind. The fly holder in the upper right corner is made from a branch off the same tree. My wife thought I was out of my bleeping mind when I started, but has since grown to love it.

I'm always looking for suggestions on new flies. Look forward to getting to know some of you.

Enjoy!!

Jon
  2. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Very nice maybe some day I will get back to such a state.:beathead:

Here is mine from a month or so ago, looks a little worse right now with the heavy witner fly tying stage we are in. The beauty of the roll top desk is that I can hide it from the lady of the house with one downward pull on the cover.:thumb:

:confused: :eek:

:beer2:

BG

[IMG]
  3. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    thats pretty close to what mine looks like right now
  4. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Black Ghost,
    Thx. for the pic. I have been trying to tell my girlfriend that it is normal for a fly tying bench to look like that!:thumb:
    Frank
  5. Jon Williams Guest

I think I see Waldo in there....
  6. kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Muskie country!
    That's pretty cool Jon. How did you keep it from splitting? Or was it dead when it came down? Just the time between then and now seems a little short for that to completely dry and season enough to work with it.

Jeff