Down and dirty for "pigs'!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Today I fished a pretty big ebb tide(12.1 ft.tide exchange) for sea-run cutthroat. It was a little challenging to find locations where the tidal current was not too strong. When I found locations with the right conditions, there were some "pigs" that wanted to "play". I had to get "down and dirty" with an olive/white clouser minnow on a type 6 sinking line. I had some action with a top water sand lance pattern but it was sporatic.

The fishing was excellent at two locations for 30 to 45 minutes. The sea-run cutthroat were "holding" in water 3ft. to 6 ft. deep unlike last week when they were "holding" in water 1 to 3 ft. deep. Nice groups of large fish were "holding" in 20 ft. by 40 ft. areas at both locations. The prime water at both locations was about 150 ft. long. So I carefully fished down the shorelines by re-anchoring several times until I found the "mother lodes(20 ft. by 40 ft. areas). Quite a few of the sea-run cutthroat were in the 17 ot 19 inch range as shown in the photos. The last two photos do not show how truly magnificant the colors were of those sea-run cuthroat.

Roger

Attached Files:

dfl, Porter, Stonefish and 5 others like this.
  2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Nice job, Roger!

3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Dirtay!

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Thanks Roger they certainly like that fly of yours!

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    So Roger, I as of yet have not caught a sea run cut in the salt (ok, I've never fished for them in the salt, crazy right?) but based upon your wicked reports and detailed explanations, I feel like when I finally pull the trigger that I might actually have a shot at catching one.

Thank you.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    They are an elusive fish, like Steelhead. ;)

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've always wanted to catch one, but haven't been to that side of the state in nearly a decade.

8. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Sea-run cutthroat are, IMHO and to steal a quote from Winston Churchill: "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma".

I've been playing with these critters off-and-on since the early '60s and they're still my favorite fish!!! :)

Alexander and Roger Stephens like this.
  9. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

So true! Sea-run cutthroat fishing on Puget Sound can be elusive at times but the "hunt and seek game" to find them is a big part of the enjoyment of this fisheries. In a life-time some mysteries of sea-run cutthroat will not be unravelled.

Sea-run cutthroat gemerally like spots with favorable tidal current and bottom structure/composition. Plus, there are some locations that consistently "hold" sea-run cutthroat at certain times year-after- year.

Successful strategies which I use are: (1) fish many locations each outing until some sea-run cutthroat are found. (2) the fish are normally very aggressive so you will know whether any sea-run cuthroat are at a location within a few casts. If there are no strikes within a few minutes either move down the beach or go to another locations. I will commonly fish 12 to 18 locations each outing. Usually 1/5 to 1/2 of the locations will "hold" sea-run cutthroat.

Roger

golfman44 and Alexander like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    If you ever need a minion/grasshoper along on your hunts feel free to holler at me, I'll be more than happy to pack you a lunch and net your fish while I learn and maybe make a few casts :)

Justin Waters and Eyejuggler like this.