Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jack Devlin, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Brief view of the fish already on the bank and then the gillie picking it up and looking at it at the end of the fishing session and scene.

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I posted this on another forum in response a similar post about Downton Abbey

If you like British period drama do yourself a big favor and watch Foyles War. This is WWII era. Your local library may have it (mine did) and Netflix certainly has it.

There are a number of trout fishing scenes throughout the series. In the first few such scenes the characters did not cast much better than those in Downton Abbey. The actor, Micheal Kitchen (Foyle) became a better caster as the show progressed through its eight year (and still counting) history. The series is acclaimed for its historical accuracy down to the smallest detail. Dramatisation of story line not withstanding.

In one episode Foyle meets an American general in front of a sporting goods store. They realise they both fish and arrange to meet on stream. The general says be brought his new Leonard rod with him to England in the hope that he would have some time on his hands. A brief dialog follows regarding the dry fly casting qualities of the Leonard and some doubt is expressed about the old fashion (long and slow) qualities of the English rods. Foyle politely defends his rods as being capable of both wet and dry fishing subtly insinuating the limited use of the latest greatest American rods.
    Its a perfect dialog to contrast the modern American values vs the British tradition. Given the limited amount of viewers that will understand the intent of the short dialog it is a testament to the pursuit of historical accuracy not only in specific events but culture as well.

In another episode I was able to pause the dvd and zoom in on the reel. It was a Hardy Uniqua.

In yet another episode Foyle is at home tying flies. Again pausing and zooming, the fly appeared to be a well tied Blue Dunn tied in a style appropriate to the place and period.

TC

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  3. Tim Cottage

I don't think either of the reels in Downton Abbey look like Hardy Perfects. Hardy yes but not Perfects. Of course I could be mistaken but that's my impression.

If any one cares enough to pause and zoom we may be able to get to the bottom of this perplexing issue.

TC

4. Jack Devlin

Pefects??? I think they came out in early 1890's but I have never seen one that old. Very wide reels. More than likely Hardy. I don't know enough about reels of that era to know what other makes were available. I would like to see those rods and reels in person. Probably came right from the castle where they did the filming.
    Jack

PS Of course, I just ASSUMED they were Hardy Perfects and we all know what happens when we get into the ASSUMING mode.:)
    J
    PSS A collector friend called me and suggests the reels look like the Hardy Wide Perfects.
    J

5. Jack Devlin

Being a "fan" of the wartime years in England, I also follow Foyle's War. Excellent. There are a number of fishing scenes and I recall the tying scene and the Leonard rod scene. I seem to recall one episode where a trout he caught had been poisoned/diseased from some dumping of chemicals??? Anyway, great stuff and well worth watching even without the fly fishing stuff.
    Jack

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Following Downton Abbey is a modern crime drama, DCI Banks. I don't know why the Brits make so much better crime shows than we do, maybe because the actors are chosen for their ability and not so much looks, but to me there's a reality and "feel" to them that ours lack. Foyle's War is excellent.

Jackd likes this.
  7. Jack Devlin

And Mr. Foyle is a fly tier and fly fisherman to boot!
    Roger on the DCI Banks.
    Jack

8. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Fantastic show but those actors couldn't cast.

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    And I'll bet none of us can act.

K

10. Jack Devlin

Tim,
    It just so happens that last nights episode of Foyles War was a repeat of the one with the Leonard rod. A good one.
    Jack

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    The wife's been getting these as our Sunday night British series....watched many different ones over the years, but I've been having a hard time getting into this one. But, now that I know Jesse is starring in it, and that it has some fly fishing scenes (missed that episode), I'll be sure to watch.

12. Jack Devlin

Sadly, the fishing scenes in Downton Abbey and Foyles War are few and short. But, fun to watch and nit pick.:)
    Jack

13. Tim Cottage

Damn. Sorry I missed it.
    A few months ago another forum member and I were discussing what this years episodes might bring. There was some indication that Foyle might be heading to America for unexplained reasons. My hope is that some fishing may be store. The Catskills were in full swing as a fishing destination at that time. I think a visit to the Leonard shop would be in order to solve the case of the missing rod beveler.

TC

14. Jack Devlin

The Catskills - my old stomping grounds - aka "The Charmed Circle".

15. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    This would be a tough crowd to depict a period fly-fishing film for. Though you can see who the consultants would be:

Tweed outfits- jesseCFowl
    Reels- WW
    Catering- Jerry D
    Bamboo-?
    Budget oversight- Kent Lufkin
    Site Scout- Tim Cottage
    Wooden sculptures- Jack

I'd probably have a band of feral orphoned East End blitz kids living lord of the flies style, terrorizing the landed gentry, representatives of the Church of England, and "public schoolboys who play rugger and cricket" and anyone able bodied who isn't fighting the Hun in some manner...

The kids would of course be bonded together by their love of poaching, their ability to customize fly fishing to suit their survivalist ends, and constant run ins with a psychotic trio of Nazi and kid hating Scottish Gameskeepers and gillies known as Angus, Robbie and Lachlan McLaughlan. These old canny shotgun toting ornery bastards would be played by Kerry, Roper, and Itchy Dog. Itchy would get all the slapstick and one liners...their overlord and mastermind would be Lady Tartan McSporrin, played by Sue with Godfatheresque bluntness...

You'd root both for and against the kids who are t times both lovable and super annoying...

16. Tim Cottage

Boot
    I think you would have to appoint Tom Bowden for Bamboo as he has by far the most hands-on bamboo history on this site.

Jack
    I was a bit further south in the Poconos. Broadhead, Bushkill, McMichaels, etc.

TC

17. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
  18. Jack Devlin

Paul,
    I meant to comment on your post about the hat and feathers in another thread.
    I would love to have one of those hats. I'm sure some of the feathers would be impossible to find nowadays. Great stuff and I bet they were authentic, period hats.

Your comment, and that of other posters as well, about the casting prowess demonstrated during the brief salmon fishing scene got me thinking. I wouldn't be too surprised if the poor casting wasn't actually quite authentic. The very trip to the castle in Scotland was really a big deal in those days. It required almost moving the whole household. So, I don't think they did it too often. Once or twice a year???? I wouldn't expect that they would be the most competent fly casters as, say, you and I;) . Also, the Ghille did all the work and, much like in the shooting scene, he just handed the shotgun/rifle/rod to the "lord" to shoot/fish. After they finished fishing, the Ghille just took the rods and that was that. Time to return to the castle and dress for dinner. Just some thoughts.
    Jack

Kent Lufkin and Paul Huffman like this.
  19. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
  20. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

OOPs! I was trying to find the Washington Fly fishing (WFF) site and stumbled onto this TV/PBS discussion group. Can someone dirst me to WFF?

Dr Bob

Paul Huffman likes this.