Drat, foiled again

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    I'm having a heck of a terrible time at the farm ponds this year. I went out today and all I caught was a northern pike minnow and a perch. Considering I was looking for bass or at least sun fish, it was disappointing to the max.

And no, it wasn't good "just to get out". :confused:
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    Isn't it supposed to be "Curses, foiled again!"?

A Dick Dastardly phrase, right? ;)
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    GAT is old. he can't remember all the good sayings.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I like mine better :)
    Old Man likes this.
  5. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    Generally, Old Man will say, "Well, I'll be hornswoggled!"

I don't know exactly what that is...but I bet it hurts like hell.
    triploidjunkie and Jim Wallace like this.
  6. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +193 / 0
    Geez GAT, you were lucky! The northern pike minnow is the salmon of the future. When WDFW tries to increase populations of a fish type, they become extinct.......When they try to eradicate a type of fish, they become abundant. Our only hope is that they start raising squawfish in hatcheries.......that would be their demise!
    Krusty, triploidjunkie and smole like this.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    How did the NPM get into the ponds. Or are these just wide spots on skinny water.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Jim, the NPM are native to the Willamette River. When the river floods every couple of years, this fills the farm ponds with whatever species of fish lives in the Willamette. This is where the bass come from. The farmers don't plant their ponds with the warm water fish, they just show up.

Actually, the NPM are fun to catch and not nearly as ugly as a whitefish so I'm not sure why they have such a bad rap. Sure, they are aggressive like a brown trout but they are native to the NW so I've never had a problem catching the things for fun.

I've caught them on large bass poppers in some of the farm ponds... like I said, they are aggressive.

Anyway, most of the farm ponds I fish in The Willamette Valley hold NPM. As far as the yellow perch goes... I have no idea where the devil they come from!
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I just read on the PP site that someone caught a catfish in the Wishkah River upstream from Aberdeen when fishing for searun cutts (dratted worm fishermen!). That might be a 'first" for there. The conjecture was that it must have gotten washed out of one of the Elma ponds or a slough on the Chehalis during winter flooding, got washed downstream, and eventually made its way up the Wishkah.
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Floods seem to move species from place to place. I've caught catfish with a subsurface fly at McKay Reservoir outside of Pendleton and they give you a pretty good tussle. .
  11. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    That's how the invasive(s) got start got started in many rivers...poorly planned farm ponds.