Drift boat anchors

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by o mykiss, Aug 24, 2007.

1. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

What kind of anchor do you use for your drift boat? Why?

Anyone care to share directions for making a chain anchor?

2. BigDog2002

BigDog2002 Gone Fishing

What I've seen done at Red's over on the yak... They use a jumbo exhaust clamp as the guts and lace it with chunks of heavy chain. Basically making a big ball out of the stuff. I rented one of their boats and this setup worked quite well. Less stucky than some other types I've used (big triangle lead for example). I should have taken a photo.

--
    BD

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    A buddy of mine bought one those chain anchors from Red's. Works slick. In some faster runs with high water it didn't stop us completely but it did provide for nice drag to slow us down.

4. The Yakima guides like those for the crawl and I think also does a little 'San Juan Shuffle' and stirs up bugs and feeding trout below a DB. I haven't used one but should be pretty easy to make. I've heard that they are using about 50# of chain and keep the anchor in a 5 gallon bucket. Only problem is that they do rust. I like my 30 lb pyramid set up with a tennis ball stop and on a climbing carabeener for ease of on and off. I've found for the Yak that 30# suffices for 3 anglers in most water.

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm probably way off base here, so feel free to flame. I believe the chain anchors work well.... for the fishermen. But it seems to me they destroy habitat for the bugs, and maybe fish & redds, at least when you drag them slowly through a drift. I'll never use one. Not trying to be holier than thou, just how I feel.
    A scaled down version of a dragger/trawler in a scaled down enviornment.

6. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I thought the chain anchors were because so many people lose the traditional pyramid anchors between the rocks on the Yakima. I agree with your take on dragging. If you need to enhance a drift, that's what oars are for.

7. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider using a chain anchor in the way some of you are describing. I've fished with people who use chain anchors the same way others use the pyramid anchors - i.e., just to anchor the boat. I am not sure which way I'll end up going, but I have heard people express a preference for the chain anchors because they are less likely to get wedged on the bottom. In any event, assuming I go for the pyramid anchor, where's a good place in the Seattle area to pick one up?

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm sure I don't have the experience some of you have. I use a 30# pyramid with no problem, however my boat is on the small side, and maybe by luck, I've never lost an anchor. I do see merit in the chain anchor plopping down on an irregular bottom and having holding power. I can't discuss whether it holds better or worse than the pyramid. My only concern is when it's dragged.
    Guess I'm a wuss, 'cause I even dislike wading down the middle of a small stream, (eg. Entiat) casting left and right, for some of the same reasons.
    Honest, I rarely eat granola.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Outdoor Emp near safco had the best prices I've seen around. Got my pontoon anchors there. Don't recall the prices, but it would be worth a call. I think they were quite a bit cheaper than anyplace else I checked.

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    David, I'm sure a heavy rain, as is normal several times per year, bringing down stumps, logs, pushing boulders, moving entire gravel bars, etc etc is hard on the river bottom and the life it sustains. But then again, perhaps it's all part of the cycle of life and stirring things up is actually good for things. But I do tend to agree that part of me cringes at the idea of dragging a chain down a river just to slow my drift....

11. EasyE

EasyE Member

I bought one of those chain anchors from Reds. It works great. I use it just to stop the boat. If it starts dragging I lift it. I think it holds the boat as well or better than a pyramid and it never sticks.

12. Preston

Preston Active Member

Most of the time I use a 35 lb. lead pyramid on my 12 1/2 foot raft but on the Yakima, particularly in the canyon, I go to 35-40 pounds of chain. Much of the bottom in the canyon consists of large, angular blocks of basalt and it is only too easy to wedge a pyramid anchor into them too securely to ever be recovered. Chain seems to be much more resistant to hanging up in this fashion.

I can only assume that most responsible anglers use chain strictly as a legitimate anchor. The only time I've ever had a hard time recovering my chain anchor was when I allowed it to drag. My fishing partner had snagged his fly on a branch and I had dropped the anchor in some rather fast water to allow him time to re-rig. Rather than lift the anchor again and run past some good-looking water below us I let it drag. The anchor had only dragged a short distance when it hung up securely. It took a good half-hour of concentrated effort and we were almost at the point of cutting the rope when when we were finally able to unexpectedly pop it loose.

13. Dunny

Dunny New Member

I have a 45 lb chain anchor on my boat. Works well, only use it for anchoring my boat in a spot. If I need to slow down, that is what oars are for. But as for the anchor, I will never go back to using the lead pyramid, I have had them get stuck in way to many places. Doesn't take much to get them stuck. Never have had a problem with the chain anchor getting stuck. A 30 lb pyramid anchor will drag along the bottom just like the chain anchor, if there is nothing for it to grab. I think its six one way half dozen the other. I do think if you are going to fish the Yakima in the high water alot, I would tend to move towards a chain anchor, they seem to hold the boat better and not as prone to getting stuck. But that is just my opinion.

Just my .02

14. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Any guide who uses a chain anchor or any anchor to drag or slow down the boat should be revoked of their liscense and have the @$$ beat for doing that. It is horrible for the insects and in turn the trout, along with sculpins and especially fingerlings... I just got my boat and i use the cylnder with knubbs on the ends, i fish the upper madison and it is often criticized because it can be a royal pain to anchor up on. And if you choose to get a chain anchor, be careful where you take it outside the yakima. I use to have one 5 years ago for a clack, and i used it in montana, two people told me i need to get a new anchor if i want to fish here, in very stern voices. I then thought it through i would almost rather have no anchor than use a chain because even if you dont drag, look at it right as you pull it up. Then you will see all the river bottom you drag up, the insects in the yak have it rough, chain anchors and drastic one day flow drops! haha, i would recommend the one i have now over a basic pyramid if youre gunna be fishing in moderately fast water, if you want to anchor in slow water or a lake a pyramid is just fine.

15. Jerry Cave

Jerry Cave New Member

A neat trick that Clackcraft taught me is the double pulley system for the anchor. Makes hauling the anchor a lot easier. You will need twice the line however.

16. bfic

bfic Member

I'm going to add a Hyde type Ez-pull anchor assembly to my Koffler. How much rope are people using with this system - a full 100'

[​IMG]

17. Jerry Cave

Jerry Cave New Member

The double pulley system will use effectively twice the anchor line. A 100' line would give you a 50' drop, minus whatever length is used inside the boat.

18. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    The e-z pull anchor system is a must when hauling a lot of pounds of stopping and staying power. We use both the 30 pound spike anchor with 20 more pounds of chain "draped" around it. Go to Home Depot, measure out 5 pound lengths, link em with a big "eye" and drape it on the anchor eye. Overkill? You try stopping an alum drift boat going 7 mph loaded with anglers, gear, coolers, motors, gas, food etc etc and make a full stop!

SAK
    XstreamAnglers
    The FlyFishing Syndicate

Attached Files:

19. PhlyPhisher

PhlyPhisher New Member

An old guy once told me that when he guides clients in Wyoming he got tired of losing and buying new anchors, so he started carrying a reinforced net bag and filling it with rock. He could dump them when he didn't need them any more, or add to them when he needed more weight. I don't know how well the method work for him, but I tried it on a smaller scale with my V-boat and it worked great.
    Any of you ever try this?:)

20. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

I made my chain anchor by lacing loops of chain over a long eye bolt and securing it with locknuts. I'm not sure how much my anchor weighs, but I made a smaller one that I add when I need more weight.
    Greg