Drift boat motor mount?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Flyfishsteel, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Was looking for a motor mount for my Clack drift boat. I understand that Hyde Boats has one on their site but kinda leary on spending 90.00 for a piece of aluminum.
    I basically need one for a 30lb thrust Minn Kota for lakes. Thanks!

2. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

clack makes a motor mount. it is integrated with the anchor mount.

i have a minn kota 30lb thrust and it works just fine without a mount on my clack.
    the mount is on their catalog but not on their website. you just have to watch the
    anchor is pulled up before you engage the motor!

the minn kota engines have adjustable tilt which lets you level out the thrust

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Flyfishsteel,
    I made a simple motor mount for my 30# thrust Minnkota to fit on my 10' Don Hill mini-drifter. It consists of two identical 3/4" thick cedar boards (12" X 4 1/2")with a narrow filler strip that is the thickness of my "transom" (actually the bow of this boat) sandwiched in between them along the top side.
    I simply slip this thing on over the "transom" when I need to use it. It is a snug fit, and the motor clamps on and holds it tight.
    Made it out of scrap I found in the garage, and it works great.

When I row, I sit in the middle seat of the boat, and when I need to use the motor, I switch to the "front" seat (which now becomes the rear seat) and face toward the stern, which is now the bow. Works great in lakes and flat water on lower rivers.

edited: went out and measured it to get the dimensions right.

Jimbo

4. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

I made one (for a 55# thrust minn kota), a flat board that mounts on the gunwale across the transom, with two screws down through the gunwale and one at the transom.

Works great, pictures would help, but what I did is overkill because I had a bow-mount motor. The long and short of it is if you don't want to spend $90, go to your lumber yard and get a square foot or so of plywood for free. :thumb: