Drift boat oars while traveling

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Phishy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Phishy

Phishy Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and might have a suggestion on a good way to strap down the oars on a drift boat while on the road. My previous boat was an older clack and I ran the oars from front seat to back seat with no problems. My newer clack has a slightly higher backed rowers seat that creates a high point in the middle of the span. When you strap down the boat and oars to the trailer, the oars put an awful lot of pressure on the back of the rower seat and I can see this is just going to trash the seat back pretty quickly. Has anyone else had this experience and figured out a solid work around? I've tried a few different things but I keep thinking there's got to be a better way. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Just slide them down into the bottom of the boat, why do they need to be strapped down? Pretty sure they won't blow away. ;)

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Put the blades on the front seat (turn seat to face stern) and run the shafts over the rear casting brace (pad the brace with a small towel if desired). Run the boat strap over the shafts and when it is tightened, the oars won't budge.

Ed Call likes this.
  4. Phishy

Phishy Member

That was one of my solutions but they bounce loose and bang around when on less than perfect roads. If that's what I end up doing I'll just have to figure out a way to secure them better I suppose. Thanks.

That's a new one and I will give it a try tomorrow, thank you!

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

After donating a set of big dollar oars in a parking lot to a unknown thief. I got a buddy of mine in law enforcement to get me a pair of leg cuffs with about a 3foot chain on them. I would clamp them on each oar after running the chain thru my rowers foot rest, end of oar thefts for me.

6. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I never had a problem putting my oars between the seats in either my former Clacka, or my present Hyde drift boats. However, from time to time, I have removed the blades on my Carlisle and Cataract oars and put them in my truck bed (I have a lockable cap on my truck), and I have also recently carried my one piece 9 1/2' Sawyer oars on my roof rack, strapped on with short NRS cam straps.

7. Phishy

Phishy Member

I may give the roof rack a go in the future but yesterday I tried Freestone's suggestion and it worked great. Thank you!

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    That is the great thing about Freestone...she has great info, great suggestions, and is willing to share to help out a fellow angler.

Ed Call likes this.