drift boat w/ power

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by hawaiianflyfisher, Oct 20, 2007.

1. hawaiianflyfisher Go big tuna or go home

sammamish,wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm looking to buy a drift boat and power it with an outboard (prop) and put a guard on it. I was wondering if I could get up most of the rivers here with a package like that. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a jet sled.
  2. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    drift boat has a steep rocker bottom running fore-aft. putting a LONG shaft motor on that will have the boat squat on the stern. the most i have ever seen anyone run on a DB is a 9horse on a lake. this is not a good combo for running upriver.
  3. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    if you have ever run any of the main steelhead venues in Oregon, you will see 7 out of ten boats set up exactly this way, up here in WA, not so much, but there is not a great deal of side drifiting going on up here either......you can run any river from the Cowlitz north to the Canadian border with that rig, not at light speed, but enought to handle the waters edge up river...

Earl
  4. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    I've seen, even been in, a few (under powered) drift boats like that. I wouldn't want anything less than 15 hp.
  5. Redsider New Member

Richland, WA
    How do you all think a setup like that would work on the columbia, with high winds like we get around the dry cities? I just moved into the area and want to get something I can use at my home rivers at the oregon coast as well.
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I put a 30# thrust Minnkota on my Don Hill mini-drifter and it squirrels around pretty good in slower water, but I couldn't make it up a 6 or 7mph (approx) chute into the next higher hole. Even tried tightening the shaft wingnut to hold the motor straight while rowing as hard as I could...and I almost made it when the oarlock popped out:beathead:
  7. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Clackacraft has a prop guard just for that purpose. Check their website.

Jerry
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Hmmm, not sure on the underpowered aspect. Why I say this, is we have a 8HT Yamaha on our oversized and heavy 18' jet (much bigger, wider and longer then an 18' driftboat) easily pushes upriver with the motor running (not even at full power). Mind you, this boat does not have a heavy rise and only has a very semi V.

Hmmmmm, I've owned a few driftboats with this setup, and have powered around in countless others in this setup (yup, Oregon is the king of these type boats). Longshaft is the key, and most DB's are only rated at a 10hp max rating (mostly because you don't have alot of what would be called a transom, so weight would be a key on the motor).

For running upstream and handling the river. It's not if it'll do it (it will), but depends on how deep the slots you plan to run up are. With a sled, most will handle between 4" and 8" deep, depending on inboard vs outboard. With a driftboat with outboard, you will have a little less play and power to head up these slots. I know most of the driftboats I've owned that I've used a kicker on, most were overpowered with a 9hp on it. BUT........we were only using them to troll with, and it's always best to be maxing out the power trolling then barely using it's power if using it all day (fouling up the engine because of idling it most of the day). Most of the time we'll use a 5hp LS on our DB's, but again we're only trolling rivers with them (and backbouncing downstream). So having lots of power isn't the key.

I don't think I'd be taking a boat like this down on the Columbia. I'd want power to move if needed, plus a big enough rip in the current and you could be in trouble if you overload your boat (most people I've seen will overload a driftboat if they put a motor on it).

One last consideration. You put a motor on your DB, you'll have to license it if you're using it in Coast Guard regulated waters (which pertains to alot of them in this state). So be prepared to have to title your driftboat.
  9. hawaiianflyfisher Go big tuna or go home

sammamish,wa
    :thumb:I was looking at a 20-25 hp Honda on a 16-18' drift boat. I know it would not be the perfect outfit but I didn't think it would be. I'm looking for a reasonable compromise. Does anyone out there fish something similar? I would love some feed back.
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    They do build a hybrid driftboat. It's part sled, part driftboat. I can't remember the name of them, but I've been in one and it worked pretty nifty. Not sure if they're made anymore. Don't think it's a fishrite, but if it comes to me I'll let you know. It's built like a driftboat, but has the boat sliced down about 3' back from the transom. So making it a big wider/flatter in the back. Has a small pump on some (and have seen some with a prop). They were running 30hp pumps (roughly a 20hp at the pump) and ran great with 3 guys in the boat up small slots. Then we'd oar back down like a driftboat. Wish I could remember what the name of the boat is. Think they did advertise them in STS at one time.
  11. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    There is noe of those for sale online. It's either on this board, the Spey pages, or flyfishjefferson.
  12. hawaiianflyfisher Go big tuna or go home

sammamish,wa
    You are right they do make one and its 18' with a 30hp pump. They are fish rite but they start at 14K I was hoping for a used drift boat 3-4k and the price of a 15 horse motor........out the door for about 8K. As you can tell from my avatar I also fish alot of giant tuna and marlin in Hawaii. I have a large boat there and put money into that.....so I was looking to be cheap.:rofl:
  13. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    I have 10K in my "hybrid" if thats what you want to call it...it's a sled at 16.5 by 7.5....I row it Sort of..skull is a better word...but I use the 8 horse all day on rivers like the Umpqua to go back up the soft edges and rerun slots.....but there is the 90 horse over 65 at the pump to get where you need to go at the end of the day. We have shad fished this ride on the Columbia, and it is comfortable...depends on what the predominant fishing is that you do. I happen to have friends that we "pool" the boats..one has a drifboat set up to simply free drift (Yakima) and my ride for the Snohomish, the Sky, the Skagit, and I have another friend with a 22ft custom weld we fish the salt with. We crab out of mine, but other than that it's for river ratting. After fishing drift boats under power in oregon, my decision to move on to the best craft for me, was a modified sled. I say Modified in that I can skull the thing, back bounce, free drift, and make time if I have to. And the fact that you are not stuck splitting cars is a nice feature as well. To be a purist about the sport, I suppose a drift boat fits that perspective, but when there are salmon and steelhead as well to chase, and the waters are motor allowed.....my money was spent getting me a vessel that will let me put a line on top of the fish I prefer to chase.
    Respectfully
    Earl
  14. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    does a jet sled really cost more than a drift boat? Really?

If you are looking to run (up) rivers get a 18 foot flat bottom and throw a 40 hp jet on it, should cost you about the same or less than a clack.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    AK, a GOOD sled will cost you more. Flatbottoms are fine (I've owned them), but a semi V runs so much better. Will track better and beat up the riffles a tad easier. Plus, a good used sled should run you more then a use driftboat (since a new sled is substantially more then a new driftboat).

Earlsmith, the hybrid I'm talking about truly is a hybrid. I had a sled similar to yours (I should say the last sled I had). Was 14' long, but almost 7' at the transom!!!!! Had a 75hp pump on it. Had oarlocks built in (factory installed). I'd run up river, then put my cataracts in and backtroll down like a driftboat. BUT...the boat I'm talking about is actually a modified driftboat. Just they extended the bow a bit and then chopped the transom down. It's a factory built boat out of Oregon I belive. Pretty nice ride, and worked well.
  16. River Dory Member

Your City ,State
    Rogue Marine makes a nice "hybrid". Here is a link. http://roguemarine.com/stealth/ I have seen them and they are pretty versatile boats. Alumaweld made them at some point, they were called the Alumadrifter. They come up used on CL sometimes, similar design as the Rogue boats. Standard drift boats with kickers on them are great for bays, sloughs, larger rivers and lakes. If you expect to get up technical water you are going to have a very difficult endeavor. And dont even think about putting a 20-25 hp outboard on a standard drift boat! Way to big and dangerous. 9.9 will get you tooling around just fine as a traditional style drift boat will never plane anyways and your stern would probably sink and there is no way an engine that big could be Coast Guard approved for a regular drift boat. Hope this helps and be safe out there. RD
  17. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    I have a similar boat in wood, a 14' McKenzie from Ray's River Dories (attached). The fly deck, knee brace, and a cut-out in the transom are easily removed to accept outboards to 8HP. Haven't tried it on stream yet with the 8 hp Honda LS (that came with another boat I'm about to sell). I hope it works well enough to poop around a bit on the rivers & sound as designed. Don't intend to drift 8 miles and power back. Just fish selected areas that are appropriate. Have looked into prop guards some but haven't bit yet. Any opinions on these? I know Mac offers two types.
    This boat is also available in a 16' model.