Drift Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gonzo, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

Any one have any advise for where a rookie with a drift boat to can cut his teeth? Lower Yak maybe, the upper might be a little tricky for a greenhorn. :beathead:

2. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    I started learning to row in the lower canyon from bighorn on down. That was the first I had ever pulled oars on a drift boat, so if you are careful/observant, I would say you are ok. Of course, Have someone along who knows what they are doing to rescue you and give you tips and experience too. - Trevor

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Best thing to do is go to a lake first if you've never rowed a driftboat before. Just row backwards (since you'll mostly be rowing back in rivers, never really pushing the boat forward). Get a feel for how the boat responds with one oar over the other. Learn how the boat reacts counter oaring (pulling one oar while pushing the other). Once you've spent some time on a lake, then bring it to a river. I've rowed the Yak a few times. But mostly when I was alot younger. So haven't had a boat on it in years. But there are plenty of mellow rivers around the westside to just test it out. Plus, with most rivers closing down, you will have river to yourself. So can just cruise and get a feel for the boat. I'd also suggest having someone with you who knows what they're doing, and KNOWS the river you plan to float for the first time. Will help alot.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

Thanks for the advise I think a little lake time would be a good thing see you out there

5. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I 3rd 4th and fifth the lake idea,.

I would not recommend the Yak. I would try some of our "lower" rivers. Mississippi style with some current to get you used to how the current effects the boat and your oars. Lower Sky, Snoqualmie, all are pretty non evasive non technical water. The Yak canyon is pretty easy in and around 2500 cfs but wind could be an issue.Do not do the middle section of the Yakima yet. Also recommend going with another boat/person that knows what they are doing so you can "follow" them.

Also --with my new boat ( if it ever gets here,LOL) Hyde puts out a "drift boating for beginners" video- It's all old stuff for me- but explains things well and would think very good for a beginner.

It's allready out on loan but if you would like to borrow it let me know, we'll arrange it.

6. beamers8

beamers8 New Member

My first experience was on the Snoqualmie River with a buddy experience on the river and in the boat. I had quite a lot of experience in row boats, but found the Drift handles differently due to the currents.
    Once down the river a couple of times, I found a book by Neale Streeks "DRIFT BOAT STRATEGIES" Rowing & Fishing Skills for the Western Angler. Good book to help you understand the strategies of dealing with the faster and stronger water to be rowed in the future. The lessons learned from the book have served me well on many rivers.
    Good luck and enjoy your time on the rivers. Provided there is enought water to enjoy them.
    Beamer

7. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Media:
    The Yak is very basic throughout the canyon. As far as books go check out Driftboating by Dan Alsup. The Sky is another super easy float from sultan to lewis street. Just remebber to point at what you don't want to hit and back oar. Never panick. Learn to read water dpeth, currents, ect. Good Luck. :thumb: