Driftboat accident on the Sol Duc...

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Peter Pancho, Nov 9, 2004.

1. http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/4164476p-3934394c.html

What a terrible accident. I pray for the family of Tony Boyles.
    Another sad thing to hear is that they had all the life vests in the boat, but were not wearing them... It hurts me to think of fishermen that do this to themselves and their families who care.

Thats why I wear a PFD...for LIFE!

Peter <><

2. Terrible news. My condolences to the family.

The Sol Duc has a pretty high body count. I've heard of more people perishing in the Sol Duc than any other.

3. ...............our thoughts and prayers go to the families as well.

4. From the artical:

"His friend suspects he did not drown but instead had a heart attack."

5. Regardless, they should of been wearing PFDs, especially down that alley-way-of-death... Its all about choices.

<><

6. From the artical:

"The men were about two miles downriver when they reached what longtime Forks river guide Jim Mansfield describes as an area of swift rapids with rocks “the size of Volkswagens” that boaters must dodge at 30 mph."

Peter, with water like this I couldn't agree more :)

7. Yup, I agree. I had already heard about this. That's one of the many boat eaters out there on the OlyPen. Having spent alot of time on the water, I still tense up in runs like this (but get an adrenaline boost once we are in the pocket of it). I know I insist all riding have to buckle up their vests when we hit these stretches. On calm stretches I won't (we did the same thing alot while whitewatering, would unstrap the vest on slow spots). It is sad it happened. Pin it up to another rockgarden. Can happen to anyone. Why I never make fun, or spout off, about rowing skills in an area like this. I believe in the "river gods" and know what Kharma can do. Have seen it first hand by a very experienced oarsman I've fished out of the Calawah over a decade ago. Worse thing to do is be complacent running these stretches.

My heart goes out to the families. I also heard that there were campers nearby that would not give assistance. Another sad thing to happen.

8. "Miller reached his boat 200 to 300 yards downstream, pushed against some rocks, and waded into the river to bail out some of the water and tie the boat up.

He then found Boyle’s body, retrieved it from the water and attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation, he said."

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with the sequence of events here?

9. Hindsight is 20/20. It is hard to pass judgement if one wasn't there.

I know from my experiences with the people I have fished with, that my first thought is that everyone will take care of themselves. Maybe that is optimistic, but it is hard to second guess someone in this situation.

This is a tragic event; condolences go out to all involved.

Macker