Drinking beer is good for cutthroat

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by orangeradish, Oct 7, 2013.

1. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    The South Sound Fly Fishers have partnered with Fish Brewing to create an exciting and fun way to raise money for Sea-Run Cutthroat Conservation!

For the month of November Fish Brewing will be serving a South Sound Fly Fishers Ale to help raise money for cutthroat conservation. For a $15 donation to SSFF cutthroat projects, you will receive a 32-oz SSFF cutthroat growler as a thank you. There is no limit on donations and growlers!

Here is what you need to know:

- All of November you can buy a pint of SSFF Ale at any Fish Tale Pub location. Fish Brewing will donate $1/pint to SSFF sea-run conservation projects.

- You can donate to our project at www.southsoundflyfishers.org/SRCproject. When you donate $15 or more, you will receive a SSFF growler as a thank you! You will be able to pick them up at any Fish Tale Brew Pub. Fill the growler with SSFF Ale and we get another $1!

- Directions to your local Fish Tale Brew Pub can be found at www.southsoundflyfishers.org/SRCprojectInfo

- If you would like to help in anyway contact Ryan Haseman at ryanh@southsoundflyfishers.org

For 2013 and 2014 SSFF projects will focus on the sea-run cutthroat's freshwater environment. Through hook and line surveys, scale samples, photo documentation and observation we intend to provide hard evidence to whether or not these cutthroat are utilizing South Puget Sound streams during non-spawning times (when these streams are under harvest regulations). With our findings we will work with WDFW to shape regulations to better protect these fish. We will also continue to help WDFW with cutthroat redd surveys, as well as making sure signage is posted on beaches and on catch-and-release waters leading to the south sound.

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    What a great project, Jason. I like cutts and I like beer. Great combo.

Steve

3. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    Here is a pic of the growlers. [​IMG]

Gary Knowels likes this.
  4. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Killer idea! Beer and Cutthroat, what more can you ask for.

5. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
  6. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Thanks for looking guys. Ryan has really outdone himself in putting all this together. I really think that we have a good shot at a regulation change in the rivers. Anyone who fishes anything that drains into the Sound can attest to the fact that cutthroat use freshwater year round. We just need to gather enough data to support our anecdotal evidence. We need to get all science-y up in hurr. Any support would be greatly appreciated. Plus the growlers look rad, and beer is good.

Jason

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Great idea! If I lived four hours closer I would be all over that shite.

8. 10incher

10incher Active Member

They look like poison chemical bottles!!! Bad lines and cosmetics, great idea and cause.

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    They'll still hold beer! :D Great project! I wish I was a bit closer to either location.

10incher likes this.
  10. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Excellent point! I'd drink beer from my wading boot if it would help the fish.

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Me too, and I quit drinking beer a long time ago!

12. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    Damn! Too bad they wont be tapping it until November!

13. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Awesome idea, I'll definitely pick up one or two.

Wow. I can't believe this is even a debatable fact.

14. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    Anyone want to do a growler trade with me? I can get you something that you want from CO, in exchange for this beer in this growler, yes I like the poison bottle design. I can give you my BA information if you want to check my trading history, beer nerds will know. I have access to most front range CO beers. I can also do some bombers in trade for a growler of this, again of mostly front range breweries, or whatever, I'm open to options. I have some more rare CO beers that "may" be hard to find in WA. I just want to try this beer and help support a good cause for a fishery I enjoy.

Rob

Bulldogge and Irafly like this.
  15. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:

Currently one of the factors that goes into setting the "harvest season" for these streams is the assumption that most of the sea-run cutthroat are not in freshwater during that time. Since SRC have a certain degree of unpredictability, it is hard to nail a specific pattern to them. As fishermen we all have tons of anecdotal information on them, I know I have seen big SRC feeding in streams during the summer months, and fished next to people who were harvesting them.

Really the whole point of this SRC project will be to turn the anecdotal evidence into data that biologists can use to increase the scientific knowledge base of these fish. If we can gather hard, scientifically legitimate data showing these fish are in fresh water enough to show that current regulations pose a threat, there is a very good chance we can get the regulations changed to protect them.

Jason and I have been working with WDFW biologists on how to collect data, and how to standardize data collection for volunteers. One of our ideas is to use ODK collect, which is a survey program for android mobile devices. WDFW is already testing this method out, and we have used it in cutthroat redd surveys.

orangeradish likes this.
  16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Done! Shipping should be interesting, but I'm up for suggestions.

I'm also up for picking some up for anyone else who does not have a brewery near by and then we can work out trades or some other form of delivery of the beer. triploid, I'll bring you yours the next time I make it out.

17. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

Nice...two of my favorite things!

18. JohnB

JohnB Member

Just in time to take advantage if the fact that I've had a few beers. I'm in for a growler.

19. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Planning on being in Oly on Friday. Always liked Fish Brewing, now I have another reason to stop by the brewery.

20. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    We are excepting donations now, and they will be considered pre-orders for growlers. I talked to the bottle shop yesterday and they said they will be ready for delivery on October 24th. Once they arrive you can take your paypal receipt, (or if paying by cash or check the receipt that I will email you) to the Everret or Olympia Fish Tale Brew Pub and pick up your growler.

We have spoken with Leland and Reggie at the Orvis shop in Bellevue, and they will be carrying some growlers there as well. I will let you know when they become available, but if you want to guarantee that you will get one, reserve one today with a donation!