Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Falls 11/26

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Go Fish 
#1 ·
Got an unexpected opportunity to fish on Saturday so I trekked up to DF. I could have fished Lenice and cut my drive in half but I really wanted to try turning my watermaster into a pram by using the removable raft bottom (and avoid freezing my feet ). I almost stopped at Lenore as I drove up the coulee because there were a dozen or so rigs parked along the lake and I saw one fish on a stringer being loaded into a cooler but opted to stick with the plan.

I’ve fished DF enough to know that it can be as finicky as any of the other basin lakes which made this trip all the better. The highlights:
• The fish were doing what they are supposed to do prior to ice up, chowing down along the shoals.
• The boat bottom worked well. I’ve used it the past couple years to get my young son out on the water with me in summer weather but this was the first time I’ve set it up for myself. I must be getting old when I’ll drive an extra 100 miles to avoid soaking my feet in ice water for 6 hours.
• Tiemco 200R hooks will straighten out when affixed to 2x tippet on one end and large basin trout on the other. Back to heavy wire bugger hooks for me.
• After reading Ford Fenders articles on Stillwater tactics I picked up a type V sinker. I sum up his strategy as “Life is short – strip leeches”. It certainly got the job done today. I was fishing mostly 8-15’ and the fish were on the hunt. Takes happened anywhere from the first “splat” to lifting the bug out for the next cast. The hook that straightened out got bit right next to the boat and I got to see the big old head dart in and grab the leech, then turn and head for the deep.

See less See more
#9 ·
It is an accessory from WM. It works as a "diaper" for the boat (as my wife calls it). You set the boat into the bottom and inflate as usual. The bottom wraps up around the sides creating a barrier. I don't recommend standing on the bottom without a PFD. Kinda like standing on a water bed. While I would rather have a real pram, it's much easier to transport and store a WM + removable bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.