Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Falls again anyone?

7K views 72 replies 28 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
schmokin'reel!!!!

YOYOYO! CALLIN ALL BANDITS! lets do another D.F. outing again this year with time to plan ahead. this was were i met most of the people i know from the board and i think would be a great party again for the alumni and great for the new faces. i can remember it now, Patrick and his crew killn'em with the 20 ft. leader chronomids, Sak with the drift boat. Mattzoid with the spey, and where was the Oldman? great times and definitely a needed gathering. lets talk about it:thumb bhudda

#28 ·
I'll bet my Sage 5120 (trout spey) would pull 20 feet of leader out of the water. It rocks for dry fly fishing. I'll have to put some thought into it though. Wasn't a weekend dad last time and every moment with my kids is cherished. Maybe Grandma would like 'em for the day in Lake Wetsnatchee. I'd have to take vacation on that Friday so let us confirm these dates and I'll have to dwell on this.

Matt Burke

#32 ·
If your only going to bring 12 beers I might as well just stay home. That ain't enough to get me started. Last year they made me drink until I couldn't drink anymore or maybe they all went to bed and I was sitting in front of the fire by myself. It's no fun sitting there and talking to ones self.

Jim

#35 ·
I need to ask as to what manner of Chironomid works as I should get to tying some up as my tying leaves something to be desired and as slow as I do it,it will take me until April to get them done. Man what a mouthful. I don't think that I have ever said so many words in a sentence.:beathead

Jim:thumb

#37 ·
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1623/password//sort/1/cat/537/page/1

If that link doesnt work, its the green chironomid (#12-16's) under the "main" title page of the gallery...then look under fly swaps top ten until you find a green chironomid?

Will you do me a favor Jim...sleep next to Macs tent }(

heres a pic also.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/1088.jpg

this fly is tied on as a trailer to a red Jim Beam with a white bead head on size 10 or 12 scud hook. A Jim beam is a red body with some sort of rib wrapped forward and tied off.

~Patrick ><>

#38 ·
The fly Patrick tied works great in a size 16. Also, snowcones in black and olive #14-18 will work very well. I've also hooked many fish on a #18 olive biot pattern I tie (see the photos for last year's chironomid swap).

Truth is, I think any chironomid pattern in a #16-18 would work. The key is to get in on the bottom and fish it sloooow.

#39 ·
Thanks for the picture. I have been tying up alot of green woven flies and what I really need is the hook size. I don't want to tie them up on to big of a hook.

This time I won't be drinking Coke all day like I did last time. I was a wide awake drunk all night that why I couldn't sleep. Wired from Coke.

Jim

#43 ·
Maybe I'll try to make it.

Get up before dawn and head east.
Fish when I get there until supper.
Have a little whiskey.
Keep Jim company all night so he has somebody to whine to about his aging.
Fish in the morning when I can see.
Go home at lunch.
Sleep for two or three days.

Bob, the Damn, Keepin up with these kids is killin' me
:beathead

#46 ·
Your telling me it is getting hard to do. Went with Matt the other day and to get to the river took about 20 minutes down this twisting path. After we got to the river it was about a mile to the head of the pool which that is where Matt went. When we broke out of the woods it was about 200 yards to the river. Well to make a long story short. That walk took it all out of me. And when we were done I had to walk it all back to the car. So I try to keep up with the kiddies but sometime it just doesn't seem possible.That's about the only thing Ihate about getting on in years. Those damn long walks.:beathead

Jim

#47 ·
I have been using them Scud hooks. Used up my 10's and now I'm using 12's. Tied some up on 18's on dry fly hooks. Man are those hooks small. Will go pick up a few packs of hooks soon Scud hooks in size 14,16,18. 20 is to small for me to see without special glasses.

Jim

#48 ·
schmokin'reel!!!!

Jim ill come up with a scooter, like the medi-care ones, but with all the options and a pole holder for ya, maybe even a winch for those times in the mudd. im thinking single track paths to the river with emergency phones along the way, lunch served at noon:p

#49 ·
I will be well stocked with these bad boys so if you cant figure it out...I will have extras. I personally prefer them in a 14 or a 12. The Jim beam I definately tie in a 12, sometimes even a 10. This combo is awesome and has yet to NOT produce fish for me??

Scott...sorry...havent kept up on the "omens" thread?? I know what I believe in and it has nothing to do with omens so I havent paid much attention?? I will have to devise a new name for you }(

~Patrick ><>

#50 ·
Hey Jim...why didnt you just hop on Matt's back and enjoy a piggy back ride?? :dunno Im sure Matt wouldnt mind??

LIGHTBULB!!! Hey Roper/backyard...in your new line of business, devise a scooter that works like a amphibious machine with fishing in mind....stripping net, pole holder, beer holder, standing platform, oversize offroad tires, depth finder mount, anchor mount, etc... Something old man could use...just throw on a helmet and drive from camp to the lake....The picture I envision is making my stomach hurt from laughing :rofl

~Patrick ><>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.