Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Falls and Rocky Ford Creek

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Zen Piscator 
#1 ·
My dad and I are heading over to fish these two places the 7th of June during my school break. We have never fished these places, any advice of where to fish and what flies to use would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
David

#2 ·
as for the rocky ford i took my mom there last weekend for her first fly fishing experience since her classes and you still can't beat a scud(in olive or tan) in my opinion. we caught fish on scuds sizes 18, 12 and 10. all realy simple hand ties. dead drift only. i was also intrigued by the fact that if im not mistaken, the fish in the lower, swifter and skinnier water were spawning or trying to spawn or something. they were definitely different than the fish above the old hatchery as they reminded me of beat up spawning salmon. can anyone elaborate on this? also you will get ticks on you so be vigilant. my paranoia runs true. -ryan

#3 ·
Last spring I fished that section and caught fish that spewed out eggs. (not out of the mouth) My theorie is that these are fish that run up from the lake and spawn. It makes sense they spawn there because of the diversion right above it. Heres some tips on Rocky Ford that anybody wil tell you. Scuds, leeches chironomids, yes chironnomids. But this has been my RF killer, sz 18 BH PT on a scud hook with a small patch of white angel hair on the back. Ive never seen them in any shops in WA though, only Montana. Good Luck

#4 ·
There is a dam, "Carp Barrier" on lower Rocky Ford close to where it enters Moses Lake, which precludes M.L. fish from entering R.F. Resident trout in Rocky Ford are from Trout Lodge, some are excess larger mature fish, others are smaller releases. Unaware of successful spawning in the creek however natural for some of them to be releasing eggs.

#5 ·
Yeah, thats what I thought to but when I confronted the hathery guy about he said the carp barrier isnt funtioning correctly. He said that the carp arent problems because they cant get by the diversion. He also said they dont effect anything below the diversion anyway, its just anglers complaining, and then he winked at me and walked off. So i dont know what to think.:dunno

#6 ·
Bring ur scuds, but my favorite pattern for the ford is a sz 18 hares ear fishes below an indicator. I like fishing the upper section of the creek much more than the lower part. Reason being, the fish from the upper section done seem to be as beat-up as the fish in the skinny water. They also seem like they get caught alot less, and sence the water is such much bigger, there are more fish. They also fight much better in my opinion. On the lower section, the fish just seem to swim against you for a little bit, then come to hand. That same sized fish caught from the uper part will probably jump a few times, and i have even had 20 inch fish take my into my baking, not somthing that happens every day. If you want fish on dries, the lower section is without a doubt better, but for a challange, and better condition fish, the upper section is where its at. Take a look at my picuter gallery for just a few pics of the fish caught in the upper section. They are all in really good shape and beatiful. BTW, dont disregard streamers, they can kill in early moring and before sundown when fished just under the surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.