Dry Falls Get Together 2009?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Dodd, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    also lame.

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Hm. I like me some night fishing lakes... nail down a date when the damsels are rockin'- you guys have it right - april/may. So? When?

3. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    i say first weekend in may.

but thats just me. ill already be on the east side for the state opener. so coming back over in may would be sweet. thats a good time of year for the damsel munchers and the night fishing really comes alive.

plus it could be warm enough for some carpin.

4. Ephrata Fly Guy

Ephrata Fly Guy New Member

yeah, the state park is on the mothball list this year...there have been a few articles in the Columiba Basin Herald about it, but I cant figure it out, they list the parks with a potential for closing in order of visitation, of which Sun Lakes was number 4 on the list with something like 660,000 visitors a year but somehow it made the short list of potential closures. sucks.

5. Ephrata Fly Guy

Ephrata Fly Guy New Member

but to answer your question, I believe laurents is a private lease on DNR land, similar to the coulee lodge resort and the soap lake rod and gun club. As far as I know yet, those privately run campgrounds are safe...for now.

6. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Sean I'd love to do some carpin' too. I've only caught carp incidentally in creeks while targeting browns and bows with buggers - but I love catchin em. Freakin' freight trains is what they are. Would be fun to get my little 12' boat out on Banks or somewhere else nearby.

7. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    you dont need a boat. ive seen em everywhere around there i just never tried to catch em. shit even found hordes of them on rocky ford. they are even in those cess pools along the highway.

ive turned over a new leaf and ive decided to let the lowly carp into my life. ugly as he or she may be.... if they will eat a fly and pull drag.

i am down.

plus i need something to do all summer besides skateboard. its time to let it go. never got hurt with a fly rod in my hand.

yet.

8. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Boy if they shut down Sun Lakes SP, I wonder if you will be able to get to Dry Falls???? I am heading there the 15th to 18th. Hard to believe they can't at least break even on some of these parks. I bet a private company could move in there and make a buck or two, shut it down from October till April. Same with the state park at Ocean Shores (on the list). It is full all summer. What are they thinking?

By the way, if anyone wants to ride over there and stay those four days, I am driving solo and meeting two friends there. We are low key... I usually stay on the lake all day..

Greg

9. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Sun Lakes State Park officially opened last Friday, the projected closure would go into effect this fall or next year. If they do fail the litmus test and face closure by the state, access to Sun Lakes camping, golf course, and Park lake should be assured because of the private lease holder, Sun Lakes Resort. However the state campground, and access to the 5 lakes which are behind state gates, could be in jeopardy. Hopefully common sense may prevail in the end and State Parks will either exempt Sun Lakes-Dry Falls Park from closure, or the WDFW will have enough clout to keep these lakes accessible.

Final thought, if they decide to lower the boom, Sun Lakes Resort operator Jim Ping would probably do a much better job managing the whole operation than the current Parks Commission.

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    In the past Dry Falls was always before the general lake opener but after Dry Falls itself was open so that the camp ground was not so full, so that we would get fewer complaints about our late night drinking and general fun times. The early outing meant fewer lakes that we could fish but most just fished Dry Falls anyways since it was close with a few from the group heading else where for Carp off's and such.
    Trouble was last Dry Falls outing there was not many of us there so last year no one really set any thing up.

11. grizzwint

grizzwint Member

outta curiosity sean, what kind of setup do you use for carp??

12. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Lots of you guys are saying late April-Early May.
    I'm going to toss out a few dates, Lets hear from you guys and see what date works best for the majority.

Here are a few I came up with.

April 18-19
    April 25-26 State wide opener.
    May2-3
    May 9-10 Mothers Day.

Bill.
    :thumb:

13. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    May 2-3 would be good for me...

Jimmy JAM:beer2:

14. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    May 2-3 would be great I'd be in on those dates.

15. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Who freeking invited you?
    Thats it I'm staying home!

Bill..

:thumb:

16. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Im down just tell me when and where.

17. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Early May is good, I'll be over there anyways with my Grandpa, he camps out there in May.

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I'd be in for any May 2nd and 3rd.

19. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Don't let go of the skateboard Sean - or at least pick it back up later. I'm nearly 40 and I occasionally break out my andy mac to skate some mini-halfs at parks in nearby towns. I just tone down the tricks I try - though I find in my older age I'm more confident and do some tricks now that I always sketched on back in the day. Falling hurts more and for a lot longer though, I must say. And, if nothing else, it's a great way to get to the mailbox and back.

But back to carp. Ya buddy, they don't just pull drag, one head turn and kiss that 3x tippet and bugger you were trying to tempt trout with goodbye! I've been broken off so many times on the hookset hoping for a brown and getting schooled by a carp.

Cheers man.

20. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    May 1-2 might work for me.
    David