Dry Falls Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyerman, Apr 15, 2008.

1. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Well, as promised, am posting report on little trip. Began fishing lake at 4 on Saturday, trolling a bugger after an hour picked up about a 22" bow, largest bow I have ever caught. Only fish in 2 hours. People at lake saying anywhere from "pretty good" to "pretty sluggish".

On lake at seven am Sunday, sunny and no wind. Trolled a bugger to back bay with nada. There was one guy there, not catching fish. Advice from here had me settin up a blood worm with a black, red butt beadhead chronie as a dropper. I kicked back to get rays as it was nice!
    bummer was, within a minute indicator went dwoop another minute it was headin out to sea. I reamed er home and fish about 18" jumped twice and was gone. Got reset up and had six to the net in about two hours. So between 9 and 12:30 couldn't keep them off-nothing under 15" all fat and healthy. Sixteen feet deep. I fished till 5 had two more on and a couple of hits nothing to net.

Hit it around eight yesterday blue skies and a breeze. I tied the chrono deal and got no take downs. I didnt have an anchor and it made it tough. So breezy and went to draggin buggers. Picked up a nice 17" in colors that had a barbed tdc stuck to the roof of it's mouth. Sucked to take out and had to baby fish till he was ready to go back. My bud picked up a trout on a wet fly, I had a streamer version of it, so I stuck that on, he pulled up and said "no like this" and handed me a #16 wet fly so I put it on as a trailer to the streamer, hey, it had been like 2 hours since the fish. I trolled that combo dead slow on the bottom on this route. I made 9 passes and picked up 8 fish. One on the streamer all else to the #16.

Wind kicked in and it was real good exercise gettin back. Blew hard last night, sounded like a freight train. Was up early and was going to fish but didn't want to fight the wind, that and the proverbial "stuff to do".

Was a real fun trip, learned alot, like, trying to cast sixteen foot leaders sometimes gets you a bloodworm in the ear (came out easy).

Thanks again for all the advice, really appreciate it! I have to work on the pic taking deal and first one is off my phone! Hmm.. Database prob on pics, will try again...

G

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Right on G.!

3. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Nice report, I'm heading that way next week sometime. I hope to do as well as you two. I will bring the anchor for sure!
    Mike

4. Jayme McCann

Jayme McCann Member

Thats a good couple of days fishing, I have had a couple of good days at Dry Falls, but usually I struggle there. Were you fishing a floating line with 16' of leader? I have tried the intermediate sink, but not with any success. Nice job.:beer2:

5. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    That sounds like a great time on the lake, good report.

6. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Yes, floating line with strike indicator that went down 16'. After getting a fly in the ear, I quit trying to cast it and would "pay" out the line as I kicked away from it. Was too bad because I could have caught a few more as this was time consuming. Once the bite was over for chronies, it was OVER. I spent an hour with not one more fish this way.
    Gotta say, I fooled around with chronies a couple times, but untill people here told me how to do it, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, thanks again!
    Greg

7. Jayme McCann

Jayme McCann Member

Great photos, I guess I just need to spend more time on the Chironomids. I really struggle here. Thanks:beer2:

8. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Fished okay for me on Saturday. It was pretty much a chronie fishery although a little deeper for me, down to 20'. Brought (11) to the boat, LDRed a couple and missed a lot of take downs.

Shared the lake with about 25 others. Saturday was a very decent day, sunny to partly cloudy, no to light winds. Still cold though. H2O temp about 49-50.

Thanks for the hospitality WFFC guys.

MB

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Please don't take this wrong Flyerman, but I'd strongly suggest that as long as you're practicing catch and release that you please consider replacing the net shown in the second picture you posted above earlier.

Why? That old-style, hard nylon knotted net bag will cut through a fish's protective slime layer just as surely as a sheet of sandpaper, making the fish more susceptible to infection. When coupled with the built-up lactic acid and exhaustion resulting from its fight, use of that abrasive net bag compounds the likelihood of post-release death.

Take a look at some of the newer nets with soft polyester and nylon mesh bags or the even newer rubberized bags. Both are much easier on fish's delicate slime, thus increasing the chance that the fish you release will be there for you or someone else to catch again on your next trip.

K

10. SeanM

SeanM member

Media:
    Great report! glad to see you got into some chunky fish. That chronie you were nailing them on - is there a picture of one that you saw on here?

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Plus I believe knotless nets are required by law when fishing in selective waters (not implying that he was).

12. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Good info, I will be picking up a gentler net before I go again, thus assuring a skunk!

Take care! Greg

13. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Flyerman, Kudos to you for taking Kent's advise with the good intentions that were intended. :thumb:

14. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I believe its the law. No knotted nets.

Keith

15. Quan

Quan Super Fat Cat Float Tuber

Yeah, it's the law in "Fly Fishing Only" and "Selective Gear Rules" restricted areas. Dry Falls, where he was fishing, is a "Selective Gear Rules" lake. Therefore, using that net was, in fact, illegal. :eek:

At least now ya know. :thumb: Also, I agree with Dick. G, kudos to you on taking his word and advice just as it was and getting a new net. Hopefully you land many fish on your first day out with it!

-Q

16. Caveman

Caveman Member

Ok I think the guy got the hint. Beat him up some more............... I am sure the fish lived.

17. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

Back to the fishing...Anyone been out there more recently?

18. tankiewiczj@kroybp.com

tankiewiczj@kroybp.com HPIC

All nets remove slime coat - truly the best release, with practice, is to never touch the fish at all. Simply use your hemo's to remove the hook and send them on their way. If they need revival of course you can gently hold the tail, but otherwise this is the best practice. I have been doing it for years - one less piece of cumbersome equipment.

Smokin' Reels!
    JT

19. Quan

Quan Super Fat Cat Float Tuber

Sorry to hi-jack the thread with the net thing but are those rubber nets considered knotless and are they better for the fish? Anyone who has used them, would you recommend them? I was thinking of getting one for the sheer fact that my knotless net right now reeks like hell and I thought the rubber net might remedy that problem.

20. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

Quan
    I recently got a rubber net and I LOVE it. 85% of the time the barbless hook will pop right out when I net the fish and I just flip the net over and watch it swim away. The hook never gets snagged in the material like in the soft cloth nets. And yes, they don't smell as bad after a day of catching fish. Cabela's sells a great one for about 50$.